Anything and Everything about Uplink

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, Chris, Icepick, Rkiver

The cat
level5
level5

Postby The cat » Sun May 23, 2004 3:30 pm

And there's talk of a Max Payne 3... :roll:

There's even an intent.

In the end of Max Payne in the credits there was written: "Max Payne's journey into the night will continue".
So there's hope to see a continuous game in perhaps 2\3 years. :D
The GoldFish
level5
level5

Postby The GoldFish » Sun May 23, 2004 3:52 pm

You do realise MP2 and HL2 use the same physics engine... right?
-- The GoldFish - member of former GIT and commander in chief of GALLAHAD. You could have done something, but it's been fixed. The end. Also, play bestgameever!
Stewsburntmonkey
level5
level5

Postby Stewsburntmonkey » Sun May 23, 2004 4:42 pm

Yea, its just the Havok engine which is also used in Freelancer, Medal of Honor Pacific Assault, Deus Ex: IW, Starcraft Ghost, etc. It is a very good engine, but still very limited when compaired to the real world. :)
The GoldFish
level5
level5

Postby The GoldFish » Sun May 23, 2004 5:02 pm

Oh, yes, very much so, it's certainly limited in how it does things, although it's massively ahead of most other physics engines, which is why alot of games use at least bits of it at the moment. Although, I'm of the oppinion that making games stupidly realistic isn't necesserily the right thing to be doing.

As I'm sure you're aware, I was merely commenting that people were saying "ooh the HL2 physics are so good, like nothing we've ever seen, so revolutionary", which obviously isnt the case. I think someone said a similar thing of the MP2 physics, though really their use did not stretch much beyond the scope of those in UT2k3 - mostly ragdolling.

A side note, HL2 does make alot more use of the same engine, more than MP2 does, since it was predominatingly rewritten around the physics, where as in MP2, HAVOK was more grafted to the side of the engine used in the first game, hence the rag dolls and neat movey crates. Still the same engine though.

Oh, and the MP1 baby levels were great - try doing them in the middle of the night with all the lights turned off... since that I can do the crazy red line bits really quickly... hehe
-- The GoldFish - member of former GIT and commander in chief of GALLAHAD. You could have done something, but it's been fixed. The end. Also, play bestgameever!
Stewsburntmonkey
level5
level5

Postby Stewsburntmonkey » Sun May 23, 2004 5:13 pm

I am looking forward to seeing what HL2 does with the engine. It is by far the best physics engine I have seen to date. My point was exactly what you said, that most games simply tack it onto the side of the main engine so it is basically just there for the looks. Some of the games now in development do begin to more fully integrate the physics engine and this will certain continue to progress further and further.

Games are best when they allow you to do things you can't in reality, but the physics should fit the world and be consistant. Real world physics are certainly not suitable in every game. There is no sound in space, yet how much fun would space games be if they were in complete silence? :)
Adriac
level5
level5

Postby Adriac » Sun May 23, 2004 7:57 pm

The GoldFish wrote:As I'm sure you're aware, I was merely commenting that people were saying "ooh the HL2 physics are so good, like nothing we've ever seen, so revolutionary", which obviously isnt the case. I think someone said a similar thing of the MP2 physics, though really their use did not stretch much beyond the scope of those in UT2k3 - mostly ragdolling.

Eh, applying Havok physics to nearly every object in the entire game seemed reasonably revolutionary to me. It certainly was a novel experience.

I'm still waiting for some nice deformable terrain...
00010001000100000000101100010111000 10110000100010001100001011111000101 10000100100000111100010000000011010 0001011000111100001000100001011
dudeman
level2
level2

Postby dudeman » Sun May 23, 2004 8:50 pm

Adriac wrote:I'm still waiting for some nice deformable terrain...

Then look no further to Red Faction. Where anything can be blown up :D.
The cat
level5
level5

Postby The cat » Sun May 23, 2004 8:53 pm

Oh, I loved Red Faction sooooo much although all the critics said it sucks.

Because I loved Red Faction so much, I had to try Red Faction 2. I was very disappointed of the game, it was really BAD.

Yeh, the fact that you can blow everything up improves the experience, but it doesn't worth a dime if there isn't any other successful element in the game.
Ahdinko
level3
level3

Postby Ahdinko » Sun May 23, 2004 9:03 pm

Soldner has the whole deformable terrain/buildings and stuff, even more so than red fraction.
I know a good signature when I steal one.
www.perathnia-online.com
The cat
level5
level5

Postby The cat » Sun May 23, 2004 9:05 pm

Soldner has the whole deformable terrain/buildings and stuff, even more so than red fraction.

1. What is it?
2. Red Faction... Don't tell me red fraction after the horrible math test I hat doday... :D
Darkshine
level5
level5

Postby Darkshine » Sun May 23, 2004 10:19 pm

The problem with red faction is that there is a necessity to control the players effect upon the environmeent to ensure control of movement. Also RF was a little unconvincing. I think a combination of something like Havok with a destructable/deformable landscape could be interesting, but only really in a sandbox environment, less a game environment.
HairDryer
level2
level2

Postby HairDryer » Mon May 24, 2004 9:18 am

I agree:
Not everything in a game can be made destructible as it is necessary for the player to follow a game path, there are games with less linear methods of doing the game but it is still essential that a gamer follows a route to a set goal/end of level boss etc.

Games such as GTA could possibly work well if terrain was destructible as the game is totaly non-linear and it's all about blowing stuff up anyway :)
Only problem with blowing up a city is what happens when it's all been blown up? lol
kitty
The cat
level5
level5

Postby The cat » Mon May 24, 2004 1:16 pm

Only problem with blowing up a city is what happens when it's all been blown up? lol

LOL, I admit I don't like to shoot a building and see nothing is blown up.
Perhaps a blown up city is too much for the game developers :D
Also when there is a shooting in the street, people keep going like nothing happens, and it's more annoying than funny.
I hope these problems will be solved in GTA San Andreas...... NAH!

The problem with red faction is that there is a necessity to control the players effect upon the environmeent to ensure control of movement.

Yes, the major problem is probably the way people can't use the vantages of the game... Blowing walls up creats shortcuts, but however- they are not necessary.

RF has many great future weapons, and many vehicles you can ride on- these elements made me forget of the disadvantages we've mentioned.
menancer
level3
level3

Postby menancer » Mon May 24, 2004 1:20 pm

The cat wrote:In the end of Max Payne in the credits there was written: "Max Payne's journey into the night will continue".
So there's hope to see a continuous game in perhaps 2\3 years. :D

but i thought max was dead in part two?
Owner of the unique 35000GHz & 1000Gqs+ Gateway

Trust is NOT a weakness...
It is a sickness.

A very insensible person, according to everyone on this forum (only on this)
The cat
level5
level5

Postby The cat » Mon May 24, 2004 1:31 pm

but i thought max was dead in part two?

No, are you nuts? :P
Max never dies...and if he dies he always reloads :D
You mean the part when he fell from the construction site?

Return to “General”