The Joy of Max

Anything and Everything about Uplink

Moderators: bert_the_turtle, jelco, Chris, Icepick, Rkiver

Stewsburntmonkey
level5
level5

Postby Stewsburntmonkey » Sat May 22, 2004 9:12 pm

I agree the graphics are much improved, but all that would tend to make the second game more enjoyable than the first. The quote I was addressing was the one where menancer wrote that he thought the second game was borring while he said the first one was really good. Again my point was that this seems non-sensical to me. Perhaps the plot is slightly deminished in the second, but really the plot doesn't drive the game. The heart of the game is moving through a level shooting pretty much everything that moves. That is common to both games and the gameplay is largely unchanged (with the few tweaks we have mentioned).

I don't think time has anything to do with my observation that the physics engine plays a less than substantial part in gameplay. That is not a matter that history or time have any bearing on. Wheither someone simply keels over or flyies through the air in a pretty tumble doesn't really affect gameplay (although it does make it more fun). My point was that it is still more in the category of a graphical improvement than a real game feature. You still can't generally blast a guy comming up the stairs with a shotgun and watch him fall back knocking over all his friends. Computers just aren't yet powerful enough to take true physics into account in realtime. In afew years however this will certainly change and it will be pretty cool (although interface and control issues will then emmerge). :)
The cat
level5
level5

Postby The cat » Sat May 22, 2004 9:20 pm

In afew years however this will certainly change and it will be pretty cool

Amen. :wink:

Perhaps all this is just gradual, and one day the physical engine will be more applicable to the gameplay.

You still can't generally blast a guy comming up the stairs with a shotgun and watch him fall back knocking over all his friends.

But I can bomb a room full of explosives while the boxes fly and explde. This is also gradual, but for now this is holy fun... :)
We'll see what will come out of that...
menancer
level3
level3

Postby menancer » Sun May 23, 2004 8:49 am

i still don't understand why story of maxpayne 2 was made,in max payne 1, once max is arrested, the story ends; then in max payne 2, how come he's released & comes bacxk in the police-force? :?

please tell me :arrow:
Owner of the unique 35000GHz & 1000Gqs+ Gateway

Trust is NOT a weakness...
It is a sickness.

A very insensible person, according to everyone on this forum (only on this)
The cat
level5
level5

Postby The cat » Sun May 23, 2004 12:33 pm

http://faqs.ign.com/articles/436/436914p1.html

Here's the script of the game... ^
Perhaps you will find answers there.
Darkshine
level5
level5

Postby Darkshine » Sun May 23, 2004 1:56 pm

menancer wrote:i still don't understand why story of maxpayne 2 was made,in max payne 1, once max is arrested, the story ends; then in max payne 2, how come he's released & comes bacxk in the police-force? :?

please tell me :arrow:

Well, this is exactly one of the gaping plot holes I'm talking about:

Apparently, Woden smoothes it all over for him, but I find that ridiculous, there's no way he could have gone back to the police force after all that. Imagine the public outcry, and the fact that Jim Bravura is still his boss- he would NEVER have taken him back after all that shit. Woden might have been able to get him out of jail time, but that's all - he's a friggin mass murderer! I'm not saying they didn't deserve it, but it wasn't his place to take the law into his own hands.

And if he hadn't just run away after his partner was shot in the first game, they would never have thought he was responsible anyway!

Plus, the fact that mona is alive is never even explained - sure she says 'maybe it's still there' when Payne asks about getting a bullet to the head, but that's just a cheap brush off.

And I don't see how the storyline can be considered 'mature'. Just because it's not suitable for kids doesn't make it mature.. Nothing ever even really happens between Max and Mona, yet its this whole 'they're s in love' thing that apparently drives the game..

In thought the story was rushed, and a few badly constructed metaphors and cliched dream sequences aren't what I'd call "expressing the deep inner serious special thoughts of Max Payne" all he ever thinks aobut is himself!

And while I understand the whole thing is supposedly a self parody, hence the whole "dick justice" and "address unknown" thing, but for me, simply admitting that a storyline is a cliche is not enough to stop it being one.
HairDryer
level2
level2

Postby HairDryer » Sun May 23, 2004 2:11 pm

stewsburntmonkey wrote:Computers just aren't yet powerful enough to take true physics into account in realtime. In afew years however this will certainly change and it will be pretty cool (although interface and control issues will then emmerge).

I take it you havn't seen much of halflife 2's physics engine yet then?
:P :P
*grins*
can't wait to get my hands on that physics manipulation gun :mrgreen:

*edit bbcode*
kitty
Hektik sniper
level5
level5

Postby Hektik sniper » Sun May 23, 2004 2:27 pm

just from playing the beta, you can see that the games gonna fucking own ;)
British Army The Number 1 UK Soldat Clan
Winners of Storm and Destory CTF
The cat
level5
level5

Postby The cat » Sun May 23, 2004 2:28 pm

Apparently, Woden smoothes it all over for him, but I find that ridiculous, there's no way he could have gone back to the police force after all that. Imagine the public outcry, and the fact that Jim Bravura is still his boss- he would NEVER have taken him back after all that shit. Woden might have been able to get him out of jail time, but that's all - he's a friggin mass murderer! I'm not saying they didn't deserve it, but it wasn't his place to take the law into his own hands.

LOL... Remember it's an action game... :wink:

Plus, the fact that mona is alive is never even explained - sure she says 'maybe it's still there' when Payne asks about getting a bullet to the head, but that's just a cheap brush off.

I agree with you here, LOL....

And I don't see how the storyline can be considered 'mature'.

Depends on your point of view. In my opinion, the psychological parts make it mature. However, perhaps it's the only action game i've seen that mixed with love and other emotions such as: hate, revenge, etc..

all he ever thinks aobut is himself!

Don't blame his personality.... :) The dream levels really rock, and the preludes are great to play.
I take it you havn't seen much of halflife 2's physics engine yet then?

Hmm..... *dreaming....*
Rkiver
level5
level5

Postby Rkiver » Sun May 23, 2004 2:32 pm

Half Life 2's physics engine while advanced, and very good, is still not "real", but it is approaching as close to it as possible. At least in my opinion. Just look at the latest videos on PC Gamer DVD's to see.
Uplink help: Read the FAQ
The cat
level5
level5

Postby The cat » Sun May 23, 2004 2:35 pm

YAY!!!
I've seen many pictures, the engine it's based on is awesome...

There will be a competition between the graphics of Doom 3, Half Life 2, and maybe even Splinter Cell 3... :)

It is funny that 2 years ago people said: "Doom 3, coming soon...".
2 years have passed and I still hear the same old mantra: "Doom3, coming soon, man..."
:roll:
HairDryer
level2
level2

Postby HairDryer » Sun May 23, 2004 2:59 pm

Unless the boys making splinter cell 3 come up with something new and radical the game's gonna die out.
Half the people playing the game didn't like the online function and it had loads of glitches.
Like the small detail of if you're a merc and you crouch you can't be grabbed lol

Personally in that battle half life has already won
kitty
The cat
level5
level5

Postby The cat » Sun May 23, 2004 3:16 pm

I had a math test today.
\me killes myself... :?

Personally in that battle half life has already won

I haven't bet on any game.... :) However, I think Doom 3 is much cooler...
Rkiver
level5
level5

Postby Rkiver » Sun May 23, 2004 3:19 pm

Doom 3 is also looking rather sweet. I for one am planning on getting both Doom 3 and Half Life 2, even though I've "accquired" early versions. They look good enoigh to warrent purchase.
Uplink help: Read the FAQ
The cat
level5
level5

Postby The cat » Sun May 23, 2004 3:25 pm

Yeh, sweet is the definition....

HL is sold freely in Russia...
Adriac
level5
level5

Postby Adriac » Sun May 23, 2004 3:27 pm

Re the bullet in Mona's head- I was seriously expecting Mona, when Max asked, to say "It got better." Wouldn't that be a much better answer? :P

Halo 2 looks like it's gonna be sweet. And Splinter Cell is more or less alone in the field of gameplay experience it offers, Hitman IMO falling quite short.

And there's talk of a Max Payne 3... :roll:
00010001000100000000101100010111000 10110000100010001100001011111000101 10000100100000111100010000000011010 0001011000111100001000100001011

Return to “General”