Teen sex, is the answer better education.Mature discussion

Anything and Everything about Uplink

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, Chris, Icepick, Rkiver

Darksun
level5
level5

Postby Darksun » Fri May 14, 2004 3:01 pm

The sex education I received in my (catholic) school was pathetic, nearly to the point of none existant. We learned the 'biological' side of it in science, and the 'sex before marriage is wrong, contraception is wrong, abortions are wrong' side of it in RE, but nothing practical. This leaves people to 'learn' from sources that are far from accurate.

The views on sex in 'Brave New World' are interesting, if extreme. It's a good read, though.
edd8990
level5
level5

Postby edd8990 » Fri May 14, 2004 3:35 pm

einstein wrote:
Darkshine wrote:
edd8990 wrote:
Mas Tnega wrote:Adhinko: It's not even legal to have sex under 16, there's no point in selling condoms to them.

Wrong. In Britain, there is NO leagal restriction on males having sex (Unles it is homosexual in which case - 18) The under 16 rule only applies to females.

That statement is entirely false.

Darkshine is precisely correct..... that is the craziest thing i have ever heard edd8990!

It might be crazie, but if you look here you will read

exposure.org wrote:The age of consent (the minimum age you can have sex) is 16 but it only applies to straight sex with girls; there is no age of consent for boys. So if two 15-year-olds, a boy and a girl, have sex, only the boy is committing an offence. Straight sex with a boy under 16 is fine but gay sex is illegal
HairDryer
level2
level2

Postby HairDryer » Fri May 14, 2004 3:42 pm

i said that.... sort of...

i think it's sort of demeaning, almost saying that the girl isnt commiting an offence because she cant consent herself to have sex.
kitty
Banker
level3
level3

Postby Banker » Sat May 15, 2004 1:18 pm

I think teen sex isnt a problem as long as its kept safe and the chicks dont end up pregnant..
Me300 wrote:I love how Banker has the uncanny capability cussing all the time while making his arguments.
einstein
level5
level5

Postby einstein » Sat May 15, 2004 7:20 pm

edd8990 if English is not your first language then you can ignore the foregoing...

What you said.....

edd8990 wrote:Wrong. In Britain, there is NO leagal restriction on males having sex (Unles it is homosexual in which case - 1<don't know what number you had here... but it is 16 in Scotland, 18 in england> The under 16 rule only applies to females.

This statement implies that there is no restrictions upon males having sex in Britain (apart from the one which you outlined), but consider this, is it illegal for a 18+ year old girl to have sex with an under 16 year old boy? According to your website....

exsposure.org.uk wrote:Straight sex with a boy under 16 is fine but gay sex is illegal.

However, anyone who would like to take time to look at the actual text of the Act would find...

section 9 of the Sexual Offences Act 2003 wrote:
(1) A person aged 18 or over (A) commits an offence if-

(a) he intentionally touches another person (B),
(b) the touching is sexual, and
(c) either-
(i) B is under 16 and A does not reasonably believe that B is 16 or over, or
(ii) B is under 13.

It should be pointed out that s.9(1)(a) says "person" not "female", thus applying to the male (confirmed by s.9(2) which quite clearly illustrates that A and B can be of either sex - it is explicit so the subsection is left out here... but can be read here), and further s.9(1)(c)(i) states that "person" is "under 16". I feel that this creates an age of consent for male persons as well as female persons and would like to point out that exposure.org.uk is either wrong, or as badly written as your sentence.

Another part of the Act which attention should be drawn to...

s.13 of the Sexual Offences Act 2003 wrote:(1) A person under 18 commits an offence if he does anything which would be an offence under any of sections 9 to 12 if he were aged 18.

Thus it is an offence for any person under 18 to have sex with any other person under 16, regardless of sex. I would like to hereby rest my case that underage sex is an offence, whether committed by a girl or a boy, and exposure.org.uk's handling of the matter is irresponsible and incorrect.

exposure.org.uk wrote:So if two 15-year-olds, a boy and a girl, have sex, only the boy is committing an offence.

Absolute rubbish as far as the law is concerned.

Oh yeah... and that website is actually just a resource people can post to... and even attaches a wee disclaimer
exposure.org.uk wrote:The comments are owned by the poster. We aren't responsible for their content.

As an aside....

exsposure.org.uk wrote:IN MAY OF THIS YEAR THE GOVERNMENT WILL INTRODUCE THE SEXUAL OFFENCES ACT 2003. AS WELL AS CREATING NEW LAWS TO TACKLE DATE RAPE, SEX TRAFFICKING AND INTERNET GROOMING, THE ACT WILL MAKE ALL SEXUAL ACTIVITY BETWEEN PEOPLE BELOW THE AGE OF CONSENT ILLEGAL.

You cannot introduce an Act, and you particualarly cannot introduce an Act with a year appended on to it. You can however introduce a Bill. An Act is something which has passed both House of Parliament (the Commons and Lords) - unless of course it was passed under the authority granted by the Parliament Acts of 1911 and 1949 in which case only the Commons has passed the piece of legislation - and then recieved Royal Assent. What i think the website was refering to was that the Act which was already passed, and obviously much earlier introduced, was going to be brought into force in May in accordance with authority delegated to the Secretary of State under s.144 of the Sexual Offences Act 2003.

This website, in its opening introductory paragraph makes a fundamental legal mistake illustrating a misunderstanding of the law and the legal system, yet you wish me to trust it more than my own knowledge of the law not to mention the fact that i just went straight to the primary source of the law (the legislation itself) and interpreted it for you?
edd8990
level5
level5

Postby edd8990 » Sat May 15, 2004 11:26 pm

That was the only source on the Internet I could find with the relevant info from. Where I actually got the info from, was nationally organised consumer rights compertition (Where teen sex comes into consumer law I dont know, but it was one of the things we had to learn), and I recieved of several good lawyers that this was the case.

I have also heard, but cannot confirm this one, that the homosexuality age is now 16 in England, but I could be wrong here.

Oh and English is my first language, but whilst posting and drunk I can sound foreign
einstein
level5
level5

Postby einstein » Sat May 15, 2004 11:29 pm

The age of homosexual relations in England is now 16 - they eventually followed the Scottish lead.
ReflectingGod
level5
level5

Postby ReflectingGod » Sun May 16, 2004 2:37 am

That's why you don't take on einstein about legal stuff...

If I'm ever in trouble, I'm gonna hire him to get me out! ;)
ME!

Procrastination - Hard work often pays of after time, but laziness always pays off now!

**Bibo ergo sum!**
Adriac
level5
level5

Postby Adriac » Sun May 16, 2004 6:16 am

Wait- is that the age of consent, or can two consenting males under 16 be tried criminally for having sex?

[edit]
A purely hypothetical question :shock:
[/edit]
00010001000100000000101100010111000 10110000100010001100001011111000101 10000100100000111100010000000011010 0001011000111100001000100001011
einstein
level5
level5

Postby einstein » Sun May 16, 2004 8:19 am

If you are easily disturbed by words of a sexual nature, please stop reading

s.9(2) of the Sexual Offences Act 2003 wrote:A person guilty of an offence under this section, if the touching involved-

(a) penetration of B's anus or vagina with a part of A's body or anything else,
(b) penetration of B's mouth with A's penis,
(c) penetration of A's anus or vagina with a part of B's body, or
(d) penetration of A's mouth with B's penis,
is liable, on conviction on indictment, to imprisonment for a term not exceeding 14 years.

That was the subsection i missed out because it is a bit sexually explicit....

Reading this with s.9(1) that i quoted in my monster post above does not seem to say that A and B need to be of opposite sex. Therefore, Adriac two consenting males under 16 are, like two consenting under 16 year olds of differing sexs, technically criminally liable. However, that was not the intent of the Act - it was meant to stamp out paediphiles.

There is an act that deals with the actual age of consent... i'm due in work in half an hour so i can't get it now. I will when i get back tho.

And RG, if you are ever in trouble - i'll shoot you some advice, but, as any responsible law student would advise you, i advise you to get a REAL lawyer! :D

(edit - broken tags... anyone want to explain to me why on the tool list at the top colour is spelt the proper English way, yet when you use that way in tags (or BBCode) it doesn't work.... GRRR :evil: )
Last edited by einstein on Sun May 16, 2004 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ReflectingGod
level5
level5

Postby ReflectingGod » Sun May 16, 2004 9:59 am

Heh...

All your tags are broken there ein...
ME!

Procrastination - Hard work often pays of after time, but laziness always pays off now!

**Bibo ergo sum!**
sweaty bob
level5
level5

Postby sweaty bob » Sun May 16, 2004 1:32 pm

All that's well confusing!!!

All i think it's illegal under 16 years of age and is what i get told i will ask ehen i go to yac next :?
menancer
level3
level3

Postby menancer » Sun May 16, 2004 1:49 pm

if such thing happens in India then both of them will be beaten to death by the crowd (if they come to know),or their parents.

*shudders*
Owner of the unique 35000GHz & 1000Gqs+ Gateway

Trust is NOT a weakness...
It is a sickness.

A very insensible person, according to everyone on this forum (only on this)
sweaty bob
level5
level5

Postby sweaty bob » Sun May 16, 2004 2:00 pm

Do you live in india?

What are the laws their on sex?

(Anyone like my sig pic?)
renegadejlp
level1
level1

My two cents...

Postby renegadejlp » Sun May 16, 2004 9:43 pm

So it looks like most of the responses here are from English/Irish posters, but I'll throw in my American voice. There is one simple truth you must deal with when talking about youths having sex -they're going to do it. Making it illegal won't help, stigmatizing it won't help, the only real solution is education and open discussion. I hope everyone here agrees with that. So here's my plan:
1. Schools have to teach sex education regularly, and they need to teach kids it's okay to have sex, as long as you have healthy sex. The discussion needs to focus on safe sex methods, contraception, etc... but more importantly, there needs to be more talk about having healthy relationships, where neither party feels pressured into doing it.
2. Parents need to be much more involved in all this. The school can have a one hour lecture on what a healthy relationship is, but only the parents can really teach their kids what it means. Interestingly enough, I've never talked to my parents about this stuff, and I think I have a healthy attitude toward it...
3. The Catholic Church needs to be told to keep out of a public debate on sex. They've had 2000 years to control the majority of the world's attitude toward intercourse, and look where that's gotten us... Contraception and condoms are crucial to any healthy sex life.
4. Last but not least, adults need to stop stigmatizing sex and the media needs to stop glamourizing it. Sex is neither dirty, nor the most glorious event imaginable. I'm getting pissed off by the prudish attitudes expressed by some people about this subject...
"There are two types of people in this world.  There's me... and then there's everybody else."

Return to “General”