Are You Scared? Are You Going To Stop?

Anything and Everything about Uplink

Moderators: bert_the_turtle, jelco, Chris, Icepick, Rkiver

sweaty bob
level5
level5

Are You Scared? Are You Going To Stop?

Postby sweaty bob » Tue Apr 27, 2004 8:02 am

It's pretty ovious that most of us you p2p software to download music , programs and whatever.

Lawsuits deter some file-sharers

Music executive blame file-sharing for a decline in sales
The threat of legal action by music labels is having a mixed impact on song-swapping over the internet, a survey has found.
Some 14% of Americans online said they had stopped downloading music, said the Pew Internet research centre in the US.

But at the same time, the study found more people were once again turning to the internet for music.

This was due to more people using legal services, as well as switching to less well-known file-sharing programs.

Scare tactics

The Recording Industry Association of America, RIAA, blames the file-sharing of copyrighted material for a global decline in music sales.

We are also seeing evidence that a segment of users are simply moving away from the most popular and highly monitored file-sharing networks and are instead using alternative sources to acquire files

Mary Madden, Pew Internet
It has adopted a carrot and stick approach to dealing with the issue, encouraging legal subscription services and pursuing lawsuits against file-sharers.

The RIAA says its campaign of legal action has caused file-sharing to drop and now the music industry is adopting the same approach in Europe.

The scare tactics appear to be paying off. The Pew Internet and American Life Project reported in January that the number of music file downloaders had fallen from 29% of internet users to just 14%.

In its follow-up survey, the researchers found more evidence that the record industry approach was working.

Deterrent effect

A telephone survey of 1,371 net users across the US found that 14% of people who used to download music had abandoned the practice.

The Pew Internet report said that represented more than 17 million people.

Apple's iTunes service has been one of the most successful
Men and young people aged between 18-29 were the ones most likely to stop, the survey said.

The legal threat was also having an effect on persistent file-sharers, with 38% saying they were downloading music less frequently because of the lawsuits.

But at the same time, the researchers found that music downloading was once again on the rise - from 18 million Americans three months ago to 23 million now.

The figure is still below the estimated 35 million Americans who were sharing files online a year ago.

"While it's clear that the industry's legal campaign has made a lasting impression in the minds of American internet users, we are also seeing evidence that a segment of users are simply moving away from the most popular and highly monitored file-sharing networks and are instead using alternative sources to acquire files," said Mary Madden, who co-authored the report.

The popular file-sharing Kazaa appeared to be particularly badly hit. In three months, the number of people using the program dropped by five million, according to net analysts ComScore Media Matrix.

In contrast, that more people were using less well-known file-sharing software, such as Bittorrent and Emule.

In a positive sign for the record industry, ComScore said more than 11 million Americans had visited six major online music services, such as iTunes, Napster and MusicMatch.

From BBC News.

have any of you stopped d/l music from p2p networks?
or are you thinking of stopping?
or are have you started using legal download music sites like iTunes etc?

I would be interested to hear your view on this.
Darksun
level5
level5

Postby Darksun » Tue Apr 27, 2004 9:10 am

I'm willing to use pay-per-download services. It's just there are not many good ones in the UK (CokeMusic, that's about it right?), and the protections they put on the files, so it can only be moved or copied a certain amount of times.

If I go to a shop and buy a CD, it doesn't stop working (though with disposable/destructable DVDs, it might). If I buy a book, I can read it, pass it on to a friend who can read it, get it back, and read it on a journey, then give it to a library for others to read. If I pay for the music, I want to be able to do whatever I want with it, short of piracy.
AnthonyS
level5
level5

Postby AnthonyS » Tue Apr 27, 2004 9:10 am

I've stopped using Kazza (mainly because of all the fake files :)), but as eDonkey isn't truly P2P (more like P2H2P2MyGrandmother2P :)), it''s much safer.

But anyway, any fool can goto google, type in, z.B "Tenacious D mp3", and get the music that way! :)
Hektik sniper
level5
level5

Postby Hektik sniper » Tue Apr 27, 2004 9:16 am

i only use bittorrent now, due to kazaa with the fake files, spyware etc.
British Army The Number 1 UK Soldat Clan
Winners of Storm and Destory CTF
Darksun
level5
level5

Postby Darksun » Tue Apr 27, 2004 9:24 am

I use Kazaa lite (still works) and WinMX. I don't usually have a problem with fake files on MP3s (just go for the one that a lot of people have), but I have done downloading some software (yes, I know, bad Darksun)
AnthonyS
level5
level5

Postby AnthonyS » Tue Apr 27, 2004 9:38 am

Darksun wrote:Kazaa lite (still works)

It won't if you use XP SP2 :)
Darksun
level5
level5

Postby Darksun » Tue Apr 27, 2004 9:40 am

I don't :P

And why not?
Superpig
level4
level4

Postby Superpig » Tue Apr 27, 2004 10:12 am

I'm not American, so the RIAA doesn't scare me. That said, I do wish that Apple would finally open the UK music store so that I could start buying the songs legally. I don't like pirating music very much, on ethical grounds.
Superpig
- Saving pigs from untimely fates
Starfyre
level5
level5

Postby Starfyre » Tue Apr 27, 2004 10:32 am

I still use Soulseek for oldies stuff, other than that, I don't use any P2P software.

I only got about 20 mp3s of assorted Genesis, Sting and Scorpions, so if anyone was to sue me they'd be making a pretty big fool of themselves :/
Darksun
level5
level5

Postby Darksun » Tue Apr 27, 2004 12:15 pm

Most of my MP3s are either rips of CDs I have, various mixes/special editions of songs that can't be bought, or songs off an album where I only like the one song, and don't want to have to buy the entire album
sweaty bob
level5
level5

Postby sweaty bob » Tue Apr 27, 2004 1:42 pm

25% of my mp3s are from Cds and the rest from kazaa i think i may also stop using kazzaaRRRR soon.

seeming i tryed looking for one song and downloaded about 10 of them and they were all encoded (sounded like a strangled cat)

Anyone recommend some good p2p programs or websites for mp3's?

cheers.
ReflectingGod
level5
level5

Postby ReflectingGod » Tue Apr 27, 2004 2:14 pm

Heh, you use Kazaa? *cough*spyware*cough*
ME!

Procrastination - Hard work often pays of after time, but laziness always pays off now!

**Bibo ergo sum!**
sweaty bob
level5
level5

Postby sweaty bob » Tue Apr 27, 2004 4:42 pm

Kazza Lite K++ actulay....
AgentX 24
level4
level4

Postby AgentX 24 » Tue Apr 27, 2004 4:49 pm

AnthonyS wrote:
Darksun wrote:Kazaa lite (still works)

It won't if you use XP SP2 :)

Eeep! Why? (and yes, you can take that to mean that I use Kazaa Lite, with a bit of Bit Torrent and eMule thrown in as well.)
Phydaux
level5
level5

Postby Phydaux » Tue Apr 27, 2004 4:52 pm

Superpig wrote:I'm not American, so the RIAA doesn't scare me. That said, I do wish that Apple would finally open the UK music store so that I could start buying the songs legally. I don't like pirating music very much, on ethical grounds.
We do have 1 or 2 music shops in the UK. You could always legally buy them from there. ;)

Return to “General”