Great Game. One problem.

Anything and Everything about Uplink

Moderators: bert_the_turtle, jelco, Chris, Icepick, Rkiver

Threx
level0

Great Game. One problem.

Postby Threx » Sun Apr 25, 2004 8:46 am

The price.

Yeah, ill say it. Its extreemly expensive.

For something 2+ years old. 30USD (plus possably shipping).

I cant really put this in anyway where it sounds propper.
But im sure its a great game. But the price is steep for something that looks like someones college project. Im well aware its much more then that, and probably took a good deal of time. And I probably would have payed full price for it then. But as time goes on, prices should drop some IMHO*.

Just a general complaint.

*Yes im well aware that this does not apply to all forms of product/service.
For example. Books, Unless the store is having a sale, it will be $20
till the ends of time. Or untill he is tired of seeing it. Other product (mainly video games) decrease in value over time. For various reasons.

Other then that, this game is GOLD (im just not willing to pay gold...). I acually felt my heart speed up as i frantically typed in the SIN number, and the beeping got faster. Tracting at 90% one hop away of busting my ass back to last tuesday.

At anyrate, and Questions, Comments, Flames?

and no, Im not a troll.
I like Traffic light. - A shiney nickle to the man who tells me where I stole that from.

Mike Horsepool
Hektik sniper
level5
level5

Postby Hektik sniper » Sun Apr 25, 2004 8:51 am

bear in mind that IV are a small games company, and the game is £20, thats less than all other games with the exception of the sold out ranges. Its hardly not worth paying.
British Army The Number 1 UK Soldat Clan
Winners of Storm and Destory CTF
Threx
level0

Postby Threx » Sun Apr 25, 2004 8:55 am

Hektik sniper wrote:bear in mind that IV are a small games company, and the game is £20, thats less than all other games with the exception of the sold out ranges. Its hardly not worth paying.

Ah, but the USD cost is 30 wich turns to 40CDN(with a possable shipping cost, i didnt look for shipping).
for $40 I can pickup alot fo things.

Im well aware they are a small games company. They need to pay bills. However, the fact remains. $40 is alot to pay for an older game.
I like Traffic light. - A shiney nickle to the man who tells me where I stole that from.

Mike Horsepool
Hektik sniper
level5
level5

Postby Hektik sniper » Sun Apr 25, 2004 8:56 am

correct me if im wrong but most games in the US are around $60-70

Me300
level4
level4

Postby Me300 » Sun Apr 25, 2004 8:58 am

Actually they are mostly in the $40-$50 range.
At least they are here in Oklahoma.
Threx
level0

Postby Threx » Sun Apr 25, 2004 8:59 am

Hektik sniper wrote:correct me if im wrong but most games in the US are around $60-70

Brand new games yes.
The truely great ones are re-released for less the fallowing year with a few minor updates.

and the rest drop in price.

And I will not lie. Graphics do play a part in this, several ways. One im easily amused, and shiny things catch my attention :lol: and less people to pay. Or atleast less time, and less production values into it.

Mike Horsepool
Hektik sniper
level5
level5

Postby Hektik sniper » Sun Apr 25, 2004 9:01 am

well uplink started out cheaper, they cant afford to lower the price.

Threx
level0

Postby Threx » Sun Apr 25, 2004 9:08 am

Hektik sniper wrote:well uplink started out cheaper, they cant afford to lower the price.

That may or maynot be.

For example, how many people like me are there?

Lets say the price drops $10.
so its 20.

me, and another person just bought it. thats $40 profit. Thats 10 more, then if only the other person bought it.

I know its not as simple as i say. But its the same idea.

Mike Horsepool
elDiablo
level5
level5

Postby elDiablo » Sun Apr 25, 2004 9:20 am

This is a fair point I think. Games do drop in price as times goes on. However, Uplink (and I mean this in the nicest way) is not a big selling game... Considering that some games sell millions of copies, and some game companies get billions of dollars profit a year, etc.

IntroVersion is only just releasing their second game. They are making games for profit, yeah. But they love making games too. I mean, no one, NO ONE, in their right mind would stay up 18hours a day, for a week, just to make a game so that they may release it as a B-side with their next game.

They all have enough money now to quit their days jobs and make games the whole day. This is GREAT news. However, they dont make billions of dollars profit. They dont sell millions of copies of their game. The only thing to bring income into them is Uplink. And it does sell like most other games. The average gamer has probably (in my guessings) only heard of Uplink in passing. They wouldnt give it a second glance at a shop. So IV needs to sell the game at a price which means they can afford to eat and make new games, while still making the gamers happy. So, being £20 (i think) when most games are £35-40 is a very reasonable price. It nearly half the price of new games, and it is still as unique and ground breaking as the day it was made.

Just my morning rant :)
We dont stop playing cos we get old... We get old cos we stop playing.
Iris
level5
level5

Postby Iris » Sun Apr 25, 2004 9:21 am

You need cofee, elD. I can brew java for ya.
ReflectingGod
level5
level5

Postby ReflectingGod » Sun Apr 25, 2004 9:25 am

Oh, and shipping is included in the $30 price, so basically you are getting a game, shipped from the UK to America for $30, which seems very reasonable to me, especially when the game is as good as Uplink.
ME!

Procrastination - Hard work often pays of after time, but laziness always pays off now!

**Bibo ergo sum!**
elDiablo
level5
level5

Postby elDiablo » Sun Apr 25, 2004 9:27 am

Bah! I dont need coffee :P What was wrong with that post? =/

And talking of java... ;) I've nearly made snake for it :) As in, I HAVE! :D code to come soon....
We dont stop playing cos we get old... We get old cos we stop playing.
Threx
level0

Postby Threx » Sun Apr 25, 2004 9:28 am

Just out of curiousity, how big is the final product. A downloadable version may be the answer.

I know, pirating and all, buts its going to happen no matter what.
This would significantly reduce production costs (probably to late for that not :(), shipping and handling, warehouse space, and a few other details.

On the flip sized, increased bandwidth, easier to pirate.

Again, it depends on the acual size of the finished product.

Mike Horsepool
ReflectingGod
level5
level5

Postby ReflectingGod » Sun Apr 25, 2004 9:30 am

Erm, from memory it isn't that big. But like I said, why worry about it, when IV will ship anywhere in the world for the price quoted on the website?
ME!

Procrastination - Hard work often pays of after time, but laziness always pays off now!

**Bibo ergo sum!**
Threx
level0

Postby Threx » Sun Apr 25, 2004 9:32 am

ReflectingGod wrote:Erm, from memory it isn't that big. But like I said, why worry about it, when IV will ship anywhere in the world for the price quoted on the website?

because for me $40 is a serious financial hit.

Its not a casual purchase. its "Do i REALLY need this?". And as i mentioned, prices do decrease overtime.

heck some recent games are cheaper/same price new. Not a computer game, but Virtua Fighter 4:Evo (PS2) sold for like $20USD.

Mike Horsepool

Return to “General”