Gay marriages a reality?

Anything and Everything about Uplink

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, Chris, Icepick, Rkiver

Rkiver
level5
level5

Postby Rkiver » Wed Mar 31, 2004 8:47 pm

After seeing this article on Sky News, I couldn't help but feel somewhat happier. After the last few topics I started regarding same sex marriages, and how Bush and the Vatican want to ban same sex marriages, this is much better news.

As I have said before only closed minded fools would see a problem with same sex marriages being denied the same rights as so called "normal" marraiges. Holland lead the way, and now the UK is following. Good for them! Maybe some day all so called "civilized" countries will follow suit. :)

After reading the Gay Marriages: Your Views I have to cringe though, as many of my fellow Irish people seem to think it as evil. Now Ireland is a little, well actually a lot, behind in certain things as we let the Chuch dominate and control our lives. I for one think the Church should be removed from any and all running of a country. Especially when it comes to a legal situation like this.

(Edited by Rkiver at 7:51 pm on Mar. 31, 2004)
Uplink help: Read the FAQ
HairDryer
level2
level2

Postby HairDryer » Wed Mar 31, 2004 10:46 pm

The church and most religions only seem to cause arguements and violence even though almost all relgions say they are against violence...

On another note tis good news for all my gay friends lol... dont think any of them wnat to get married but they'll be happy that gay people are getting treated the same way as everyone else and aren't the subject of huge prejudism as much any more...
XxX
kitty
edd8990
level5
level5

Postby edd8990 » Wed Mar 31, 2004 10:47 pm

I agree that this is a very good idea, and that homosexual couples should be alloud to get "a Civiv patnership", and I agree the Church should be removed from the running of all countries because, im gonna get flamed for this, The whole message of the church is a load of b**llocks.
einstein
level5
level5

Postby einstein » Thu Apr 01, 2004 12:24 am

Personally, as a gay guy, I find the idea that the legislature has to allow me the right, that other citizens of this country have immediately, as a problem in itself!  
Rkiver
level5
level5

Postby Rkiver » Thu Apr 01, 2004 12:25 am

That being my point in the other posts I've made regarding this kind of issue. Equal rights for all regardless of race, religion, or sexuality.
Spectere_uplink
level4
level4

Postby Spectere_uplink » Thu Apr 01, 2004 5:19 am

Hm, I'm glad the leaders of some nations have a clue.  Einstein is completely right, though, there's no reason that such right would have to be expressly given.

I also agree with edd8990, thing would be a lot better if religion wasn't in the picture.  If the Church had its way we'd still be in the dark ages.
.what.
Stewsburntmonkey
level5
level5

Postby Stewsburntmonkey » Thu Apr 01, 2004 5:25 am

Part of the issue is that most marrage laws were written defining marrage as a legal union between a male and a female.  At the time the laws were written this was not really an issue, and I doubt many actually thought about it.  However now people actually have to change the letter of the law to legally allow gay marrage (even though it may not have originally been meant as discriminatory).  What really gets me is the people rushing to ban gay marrage.  It is such a ridiculous thing to do that it boggles my mind how people can even contemplate it.  Have we learned nothing from history?  Discrimination has never been a good thing.  We look back at the historic periods of discrimination and wonder how people could be so foolish, yet here we go again.

If the Church had not been there we may still be in the Dark Ages too, as the Church was really the only depository of knowledge at the time.  If it had not maintained the libraries we may still be trying to figure out Euclidian geometry all over again.  :)

(Edited by Stewsburntmonkey at 11:28 pm on Mar. 31, 2004)
Me300
level4
level4

Postby Me300 » Thu Apr 01, 2004 5:27 am

Y'all are probably gonna flame me for this, but I'm against gay-marriage. I think we should reform the civil unions. Marriage has traditionally between a man and a woman. I don't think that you should change tradition. Not that I wish to discriminate against gays, I just don't think that tradition should be changed. Instead, I think that they should make civil-unions to where they include the same rights of marriage. I have a few friends that are gay, and they are some of the nicest people I have ever met, so I don't understand at all why people want to be mean to them. I mean look at the Soviet Union, they would put homosexuals into forced labour camps, or worse, they would round them up and execute them. Seems like Hitler did the same thing in Germany...
Another thing is, do y'all think that the Mayor of San Francisco was in the wrong for allowing the gay marriages to happen. The California STATE law stated that gay marriage was illegal. So he was therefore promoting the law to be broken. What are your thoughts?

(Edited by Me300 at 10:31 pm on Mar. 31, 2004)
Rkiver
level5
level5

Postby Rkiver » Thu Apr 01, 2004 5:28 am

Well Stews considering you are in a country who's "so called president" is attempting to get same sex marriage banned in the constitution, I believe it's rather simple to see how past mistakes are being repeated. The people who are commiting them are ignorant, intolerant, and in some cases down right stupid.
the two most vocal regarding this issue are The Pope and George W Bush, hardly two of the most elightend and open minded people in the planet.
Stewsburntmonkey
level5
level5

Postby Stewsburntmonkey » Thu Apr 01, 2004 5:32 am

I tend to agree Rkiver.  If tradition does not change then we would still oppress women, children would take on the occupation of their fathers, the Church would be the government, etc.  Things have to change.  Through out history tradition has been refined, much like evolution.  The less desireable parts are lost over time, while the wholesome stay around.  I have never seen the tradition arguement as very enlightened.  :)
Me300
level4
level4

Postby Me300 » Thu Apr 01, 2004 5:34 am

I think that the Pope is really in no position to speak out on anything. I don't think he has much time left here.
Rkiver
level5
level5

Postby Rkiver » Thu Apr 01, 2004 5:37 am

Perhaps I should clarify it. It was made by the Vatican, not the pope himself. I believe it was something along the lines of "Any country that considers itself Catholic such ban the evil practice of same sex marriages and relationships as it is an abhorrance to God".

What I read in that was "He we can still screw other men and little kids but you shouldn't" Bunch of hippocryts.........
Me300
level4
level4

Postby Me300 » Thu Apr 01, 2004 5:41 am

Yeah, I never could figure out the Catholics

Another thing is, do y'all think that the Mayor of San Francisco was in the wrong for allowing the gay marriages to happen. The California STATE law stated that gay marriage was illegal. So he was therefore promoting the law to be broken. What are your thoughts?
Stewsburntmonkey
level5
level5

Postby Stewsburntmonkey » Thu Apr 01, 2004 5:42 am

The law does not say it is illegal.  I believe it just doesn't say it is legal.

It is interesting that there were gay Popes and are gay Saints.  Although I rather like the Pope (and the Catholic Church), I do tend to think they are a good deal behind the curve politically.  But religion is generally a conservative force so it is really just the nature of the beast.  Universities tend to be a good antithesis to religion so a nice balance is generally reached.  :)    

(Edited by Stewsburntmonkey at 11:43 pm on Mar. 31, 2004)
Spectere_uplink
level4
level4

Postby Spectere_uplink » Thu Apr 01, 2004 8:01 am

Edit: *%$#in' buggy quote tags...

---
Quote: from Stewsburntmonkey on 11:25 pm on Mar. 31, 2004[br]What really gets me is the people rushing to ban gay marrage.  It is such a ridiculous thing to do that it boggles my mind how people can even contemplate it.  Have we learned nothing from history?  Discrimination has never been a good thing.
---

What gets me are the people that are like, "I love my African American neighbors, BUT YOU FAGS SHALL BURN IN HELL."  Such hypocricy.

If the Church had not been there we may still be in the Dark Ages too, as the Church was really the only depository of knowledge at the time.  If it had not maintained the libraries we may still be trying to figure out Euclidian geometry all over again.  :)

I'm mainly talking about the conservatism toward scientific progress.  I think you said it best, actually:

Although I rather like the Pope (and the Catholic Church), I do tend to think they are a good deal behind the curve politically.  But religion is generally a conservative force so it is really just the nature of the beast.

(Edited by Spectere at 2:02 am on April 1, 2004)
.what.

Return to “General”