Desert Island Disks

Anything and Everything about Uplink

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, Chris, Icepick, Rkiver

Darksun
level5
level5

Postby Darksun » Wed Feb 11, 2004 9:41 pm

OK, here are the rules. You're stranded on a desert island with a PC, a power supply and your five favourite single player games. What are they?

Post them here along with a brief description of the game and why you like it

---

Strife: A little known FPS/RPG hybrid which is, in my opinion one of the greatest games ever. You kill, steal, fight in massive attacks or stealthily assasinate your target. It provides hours of gameplay and replay value due to multiple paths to take completing the game (I didn't see half the levels after I'd completed it the first time). If you can find I copy of this, then I urge you to play it. Sure it's dated, but it's fun

SimCity 2000: The best maxis game in my opinion. Most of you will know this, but for those who don't, you get to manage an entire city, handling everything from transport to emergency services. And if you get bored you can destroy your city with all types of disaster ranging from floods to nuclear meltdowns

Uplink: This one should be obvious. One of the most original and engrossing game I'd played for a long time, this game grabbed me. And it has a great community to go with it

GTA: I'm going to go with the original here, simply because I didn't have many games at the time, so I spent hours on it. It's open-endedness and sheer scale was revolutionary, and masses of fun. I also love GTA3 for it's glouriously detailed environment, but originality wins here

Doom: I've had this game almost as long as I've had a PC. This daddy of first person shooters needs no introduction, and the excitement of it has been hard to rival

---

Well, those are my selections, just being beaten here are some more recent games: Freelancer, Hitman, Half Life and lots others
Miah
level5
level5

Postby Miah » Wed Feb 11, 2004 9:42 pm

Uplink - obvious reasons

EV Nova - because it's an excellent game, d00ds

Descent - Because it's the only other game I have... :/
Rkiver
level5
level5

Postby Rkiver » Wed Feb 11, 2004 9:49 pm

Neverwinter Nights (And the expansions if that's ok) Large game, and it's fun if you like RPGs.

Uplink No duh.

Deus Ex Come on as first person perspective games go it's got the lot. And the replayability due to the augmentations are huge.

Freelancer Hugely open ended. Simple as that. Plus I like space sims......maybe X-Beyond the Frontier or the sequel is Freelancer wasn't available.

GTA:VC I know the first was already mentioned but I like VC. Flying around the place, causing random mayhem, what's not to like?
Uplink help: Read the FAQ
Stewsburntmonkey
level5
level5

Postby Stewsburntmonkey » Wed Feb 11, 2004 10:06 pm

Neverwinter Nights - hour upon hours of fun (plus with the toolset you could make more content to be played).

Civilization III - Nice turned based strategy game.

Rebel Chess - might as well get good at chess while I'm out there.  This one has master/grandmaster level AI.

GTA III - Need an action game to provide some energy

Alpha Centari - like Civilization but based on Alpha Centari and in the future which is nice.  :)
Linker
level3
level3

Postby Linker » Wed Feb 11, 2004 10:11 pm

No Uplink? Too many good games out there for me to choose.

Linker
Stewsburntmonkey
level5
level5

Postby Stewsburntmonkey » Wed Feb 11, 2004 10:13 pm

Uplink has certainly run its course for me (more than a year ago actually).  And do you really want to have that incessant beeping making you even more paranoid than you would be normally.  :)
weasel 51
level2
level2

Postby weasel 51 » Wed Feb 11, 2004 10:14 pm

gta III , gotta have the drivebys.

uplink, you f****in kiddin me.

max payne, the bullet time man.

gta VC, spent 16 hours straight playing this open ended game.
I have a dream that we all have some sort of outside life. well at least most of us. ok only some of us. ok maybe very few of us. well im not too sure about that one either. ok I have a life: the lazy american
Miah
level5
level5

Postby Miah » Wed Feb 11, 2004 10:15 pm

Uplink has certainly run its course for me (more than a year ago actually).  And do you really want to have that incessant beeping making you even more paranoid than you would be normally.  :)

*watch alarm goes off*

OH DEAR GOD NO I'M BEING TRACED

*looks around, noticing that the entire library is staring at me*

*hides*

(Edited by Miah Helpmann at 3:16 pm on Feb. 11, 2004)
SystemOverride_uplink
level3
level3

Postby SystemOverride_uplink » Wed Feb 11, 2004 10:16 pm

mine would be=

1.Counter-strike,because it rocks.
2.Unreal Tournament,the first one not the 2003 one its crap.
3.Uplink,pretty cool game.
4.Wolfenstein - Enemy Territory,its cool aswell
5.Call of duty,have it but havent played it just going with what people have said about it.

thats about it i have 32pc games but they are the best
Darksun
level5
level5

Postby Darksun » Wed Feb 11, 2004 10:19 pm

Yeah, the bad thing about Uplink is it doesn't have much replay value, although the Dev mods have breathed some new life into it

Here's to <the next game>! Let's hope it's an Uplink beater - Introversion have a lot to live up to
weasel 51
level2
level2

Postby weasel 51 » Wed Feb 11, 2004 10:25 pm

got it right there man the demo especially it sucks you can only play to a certain exp. level.
I have a dream that we all have some sort of outside life. well at least most of us. ok only some of us. ok maybe very few of us. well im not too sure about that one either. ok I have a life: the lazy american
Stewsburntmonkey
level5
level5

Postby Stewsburntmonkey » Wed Feb 11, 2004 10:28 pm

Hense the demo part. . .  :)
TimTim
level4
level4

Postby TimTim » Wed Feb 11, 2004 10:41 pm

Well mine would be:

Uplink - Because its a classic game,

Uplink Dev Cd - So I can keep on developing mods =/ (which I haven't done yet)

Freelancer - Probaly the best space to grace my pc, it's so open to doing what ever you like

Deus Ex - Storyline, what else can I say?

Battlefield 1942 - Because online play is fun, especially if you have the desert combat mod
poortwistedme
level5
level5

Postby poortwistedme » Wed Feb 11, 2004 10:48 pm

Race mania - simply the best game ever made. Ok it's 16bit but for some reason I love it.

And... um that's it really. I don't play much games.
There's gold in them mountains!
MarcusHess2
level5
level5

Postby MarcusHess2 » Wed Feb 11, 2004 10:50 pm

TimTim: singleplayer games =P

Well, uh, favourite games, lessee...

NOLF1&2: cause they're so fun and so funny.

Call of Duty: very dramatic!

X2: more open ended than Freelancer, and cooler, and prettier. Plus it's not published by MS.

Uplink: cause I'd get jumped on if I didn't say it.

Pong: |            *        (nuff said)
All of these sigs have been created in part by me! yay!

Return to “General”