Discussion. another one.

Anything and Everything about Uplink

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, Chris, Icepick, Rkiver

Coldfire26
level4
level4

Postby Coldfire26 » Thu Dec 11, 2003 9:32 pm

Of course neither of those things are 100%...
I rock, and let no one tell u otherwise! :P
|My Profile|[
Stewsburntmonkey
level5
level5

Postby Stewsburntmonkey » Thu Dec 11, 2003 9:32 pm

I should personally shoot your science teacher. . .

A Law is a mathmatical statement decribing an observered event.

A Theory is an explanation of the observed event.

Law of Gravitation:

F=G[(m1 * m2)/ r^2]

The Theory of Gravity is currently covered largely by Einstein's Theory of Relativity.  :)
Miah
level5
level5

Postby Miah » Thu Dec 11, 2003 9:36 pm

No! My science teacher was cool! He brought a potato cannon to class! He puts lightbulbs in the microwave! He explains the law of iner. and grav. with eggs and giant slingshots! He even left a flash burn on the ceiling!

Anyway, Quantum Theroy, then, should be Quantum Conjecture, then, as little of it as truely been explianed fully...
Stewsburntmonkey
level5
level5

Postby Stewsburntmonkey » Thu Dec 11, 2003 9:41 pm

It doesn't have to be full explanation (nothing is).  It simply has to be a plausable (at the time) explanation of observations.  Nothing in science is taken as true (aside from observations) so every conjecture is a theory, some are more accepted than other, but nonetheless all are theories.  :)
Coldfire26
level4
level4

Postby Coldfire26 » Fri Dec 12, 2003 7:34 am

I didn't want to make a new thread, so i thought i should post this here:
In my opinion randomness doesn't exist, it is just a case of one not *knowing* (Planescape: Torment :biggrin:) ones universe, the universe *knows* itself, thus it isn't random, the only thing is, Is the lake of understanding of the object in question, it isn't a question of intellect, but a question of numbers. Exmaple:

I am posting here, neither of us knew that i would post here, but the one looking at ALL the factors could of.

|My Profile|[
Miah
level5
level5

Postby Miah » Fri Dec 12, 2003 7:36 am

Let's not get into the "star wars"/"the force" shit...

And i predicted you'd bump this topic.
Coldfire26
level4
level4

Postby Coldfire26 » Fri Dec 12, 2003 7:40 am

MH - Its not startwars, its
Planescape: Torment
The art of the githzarai - the seven circles of Zarthamon
One must *know* one's self, or one will be driven by chaos of not *knowing* himself. that is the story of our ppl, that is the truth...

(Edited by Coldfire26 at 9:35 am on Dec. 12, 2003)

|My Profile|[
Miah
level5
level5

Postby Miah » Fri Dec 12, 2003 7:54 am

Do you have ANY idea what the seven circle means???

IM me tomorrow, i shall explian
Miah
level5
level5

Postby Miah » Tue Dec 16, 2003 2:56 am

*bump*

Since the first page of "General" has turned to shit without decent conversation, I'm hoping people will post here again.

(Edited by Miah Helpmann at 7:57 pm on Dec. 15, 2003)
Coldfire26
level4
level4

Postby Coldfire26 » Tue Dec 16, 2003 11:25 am

Hmm, i never new those 7 circles stuff was actually meant to show something. i just thought BI invented it...

And yes, MH the forum IS turning into crap. so i will post something here:

j00 sux0r!1!!!

Ok, seriously now: What makes us think AIs, as complex as humans will be logical, and without feeling?
do we really have more than 100101 running in our heads? in my opinion, we do not. and AIs created in human scale will resemble humans almost perfectly. AI higher in intellect and usefulness, will be a guardian - like humans are to pets. HOWEVER, since we created them, they will most likely assume we are in much higher stature than they are.

|My Profile|[
Wishmaster
level2
level2

Postby Wishmaster » Tue Dec 16, 2003 2:08 pm

We are though, arent we? How can you program something to learn? We have experience, fantasy. How can an AI get these through 100101001's?
My Homepage
Uplink profile--->Wishmaster
Stewsburntmonkey
level5
level5

Postby Stewsburntmonkey » Tue Dec 16, 2003 4:43 pm

We have already created programs that can learn.  I tend to think AI will be rather different from humans, simply because humans are not based on logic and binary.  The limitations and abilities of logic and binary should be reflected in the final AI.  At some point (40-50 years maybe) it should be possible to produce human level AI, but there is no reason to make AI a mechanical clone of humans, we have plenty of people.  Ideally AI will play to the strengths of its construction to preform tasks and travel intellectual threads humans are less adept at.  :)
TheRaven
level3
level3

Postby TheRaven » Wed Dec 17, 2003 10:43 am

I think that Stews is right (im saying that again?). What would be the point in producing an AI that can think exactly like humans? And like he says it would be almost impossible to make a computer think like a human, because we do not work on an entirely logic based system. These things called emotions come into the equation and machines will always find it hard to replicate these.

Although i think AI would be useful to try and think in ways we cannot, we would have to program it to think like this, and so we end up with a paradox. For example if we wanted a computer to think about the 4th dimension, we would have to program it to think about something that we ourselves cannot think about, so could we program it to think like this?

P.S. WOOHOO i got to contradict Stews.
All I want is a warm bed and a kind word and unlimited power. - Ashleigh Brilliant
Wishmaster
level2
level2

Postby Wishmaster » Wed Dec 17, 2003 1:37 pm

Very confusing, but I can see your point. And what I really meant about fantasy and the like, is our human emotion (am I repetetive or what?). Stews, "they" have managed to program certain machines\robots to react to certain different circumstances, but not learn in the human way, that would be such a humonguos step towards human AI that it would run trough the international news like wildfire!

(Edited by Wishmaster at 12:38 pm on Dec. 17, 2003)

My Homepage

Uplink profile--->Wishmaster

Return to “General”