Error Message

Anything and Everything about Uplink

Moderators: bert_the_turtle, jelco, Chris, Icepick, Rkiver

Pacemeyer
level1
level1

Postby Pacemeyer » Wed Aug 06, 2003 11:40 am

Whenever I try to play the full version of the game with the patch installed the screen, after abiut minute, goes bluend the following message appears:

A fatal exception 0E has occured at 0028:05600016. The current application wll be terminated.

PLease tell me what to do.
"... freeflow of information is the only safeguard against tyranny. The once chained people who's leaders at last loose their grip on informartion flow will soon burst with vitality, but, the free nation gradually constricting its grip on public discourse
Iris
level5
level5

Postby Iris » Wed Aug 06, 2003 11:43 am

1. uninstall uplink
2. go to the Program Files folder in your C: drive
3. delete the Uplink folder there
4. reinstall Uplink
5. reinstall the upgrade patch
6. create a new user
7. play the game
Pacemeyer
level1
level1

Postby Pacemeyer » Wed Aug 06, 2003 12:13 pm

Do I have to nstall tomy C:\ Drive? Or can I install to my D:\ Drive?

(I have a C:\ D:\ (Both hard drives) A:\ (Floppy drive) an E:\ (CD drive)
"... freeflow of information is the only safeguard against tyranny. The once chained people who's leaders at last loose their grip on informartion flow will soon burst with vitality, but, the free nation gradually constricting its grip on public discourse
Iris
level5
level5

Postby Iris » Wed Aug 06, 2003 12:18 pm

when i said on the C: drive i just assumed that you installed it there, as you normally would. if you installed it on another drive then delete the Uplink folder from that drive.

you certainly didn't have to say you had a floppy and and a CD drive, as you obviously can't install it there, and you can't install Uplink without it. ;)
Phydaux
level5
level5

Postby Phydaux » Wed Aug 06, 2003 2:24 pm

Quote: from Pacemeyer on 11:40 am on Aug. 6, 2003[br]Whenever I try to play the full version of the game with the patch installed the screen, after abiut minute, goes bluend the following message appears:

A fatal exception 0E has occured at 0028:05600016. The current application wll be terminated.

PLease tell me what to do.
Use Linux? ;)

And put posts like thins in the Bug Reports forum. :)
Pacemeyer
level1
level1

Postby Pacemeyer » Wed Aug 06, 2003 2:48 pm

No, I use Windows. Sorry about not posting in the bug reports forum. But I did what you said Iris but that hasn't worked.
Stewsburntmonkey
level5
level5

Postby Stewsburntmonkey » Wed Aug 06, 2003 3:00 pm

Could you post system specs (OS, CPU, Video and sound Card).  I would suggest getting the latest drivers for both the sound and video card as well.  :)
Pacemeyer
level1
level1

Postby Pacemeyer » Wed Aug 06, 2003 3:09 pm

Windows 98

AMD Athlon Processor 1.1GHz
256 MB RAM

C-Media Audio Direct Sound Driver

NVIDIA Ge Force 2 Ti
Stewsburntmonkey
level5
level5

Postby Stewsburntmonkey » Wed Aug 06, 2003 3:17 pm

I would try disabling your sound card and then trying Uplink.  Some of the more generic cards/drivers don't play well with Uplink.  :)
Pacemeyer
level1
level1

Postby Pacemeyer » Wed Aug 06, 2003 4:04 pm

Disabaling my sound card worked. Thanks.

But I like toplay it with sound. Are there any other ways I could fix it?

If not, can you recommend any good sound cards which are compatible with Uplink?
Stewsburntmonkey
level5
level5

Postby Stewsburntmonkey » Wed Aug 06, 2003 4:11 pm

I have only seen a problem with onboard sound cards, most true sound cards should work (although so should the onboards sound).  The problem seems to be the obscure calls made by Uplinks sound library.  I am hoping we can get a DirectX version of Uplink out sometime this year which should clear up this issue.  Some people are able to listen through Headphones without causing errors aswell so that may be worth a try.  If you are getting a new sound card I would recommend the Turtle Beach card as the best sounding card, and it is pretty cheap.  :)
Pacemeyer
level1
level1

Postby Pacemeyer » Wed Aug 06, 2003 5:36 pm

Thank. I put my headphones in and Uplink has been working fine.

Thank you!
Lexxicon
level1
level1

Postby Lexxicon » Wed Aug 06, 2003 6:10 pm

Have you updated all fo your drivers?

?   ?

L
  V
Pacemeyer
level1
level1

Postby Pacemeyer » Thu Aug 07, 2003 1:46 am

The error messgaes have started again.

I don't actually know if theyare the updated ones. But I do know that the last time I tried to update them for another game, I had to have my comp's memory wiped for some reason.

So I don't want to risk it again.

Return to “General”