New here

Anything and Everything about Uplink

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, Chris, Icepick, Rkiver

Liquid Data
level1
level1

Postby Liquid Data » Fri Jul 18, 2003 2:32 pm

Please, don't get me wrong: I didn't meant to blame all of you veterans for general noob flaming. ;) As far as I can tell for now, most people here seem to be the kind of really nice and helpful persons you like to discuss and interact with.

Of course, we all have these days when we tend to be nasty and go flaming around a bit. It's okay, as long as you get back to normal later on, isn't it? ^^ Else you turn into one of those shitty NEB (Noob Eating Bastards), a species I found to be dominant at numerous forums I previously visited. This seems not to be the case at this one.

Like Phydaux, I almost never sign up instantly and post. Instead a wander around for a while, and if I'm searching for help, I look for some kind of FAQ, which is usually "sticky" at the top of a forum. I wonder if Ikonboard 2.1.9 doesn't support this extremely useful feature...?

But there are always people who have never visited a forum before, thus don't know of FAQ topics, spam and such things, and they have to start somewhere. :)

"especially" - not "esspecially"

Naaahh - not again! >.< Somehow I always manage to misspell this one. My English teacher was about to kill me for that. Forgive me... XD
"To see a world in a grain of sand // And Heaven in a flower
Hold infinity in the palm of your hand // And eternity in an hour."
Phydaux
level5
level5

Postby Phydaux » Fri Jul 18, 2003 2:39 pm

Quote: from Liquid Data on 2:32 pm on July 18, 2003[br]Like Phydaux, I almost never sign up instantly and post. Instead a wander around for a while, and if I'm searching for help, I look for some kind of FAQ, which is usually "sticky" at the top of a forum. I wonder if Ikonboard 2.1.9 doesn't support this extremely useful feature...?
Nah this ancient ikonbord doesn't have stickys, we used to bump a FAQ in the general forum. It's not as bad as ikonbord 1.0.0 you used to have to carve the words out of stone then ;)

Maybe if the forum was upgraded we could have stickys... that would definatly help both n00bs and vets... time to PM Chris to death methinks... :biggrin:
Flamekebab
level5
level5

Postby Flamekebab » Fri Jul 18, 2003 2:47 pm

I think someone here is getting confused between the "veteran" rank that the forum automatically awards at 80 posts and the true veteran rank that is awarded by everyone else - it isn't visible - but you can tell someone has it.
"Common courtesy" is different on the net.
I have a question - where do you guys install your games? - the actual directory name please.
Phydaux
level5
level5

Postby Phydaux » Fri Jul 18, 2003 2:56 pm

Quote: from Flamekebab on 2:47 pm on July 18, 2003[br]I have a question - where do you guys install your games? - the actual directory name please.
Thats not even going off on a tangent, more like going off on a normal!!

Why would you want to know that?
Liquid Data
level1
level1

Postby Liquid Data » Fri Jul 18, 2003 3:04 pm

Nah this ancient ikonbord doesn't have stickys, we used to bump a FAQ in the general forum. It's not as bad as ikonbord 1.0.0 you used to have to carve the words out of stone then

IB 1.0.0? Hah, oh sweet forum software coming right from the Ice Age to our present times. :D May it rest in peace and never attempt to scare innocent users again.

Well, the oldest IB version I used to run before I switched to vBB was IB 3.0.2a, and it definitly had the sticky feature. I didn't even know there was a time when it wasn't included. ^^;

I have a question - where do you guys install your games? - the actual directory name please.

Okay, let me think about it. It's a riddle, isn't it? There has to be a good reason why you're asking such questions. And I'm going to find out, hrhr... :P

Seriously - what's the point...?
"To see a world in a grain of sand // And Heaven in a flower
Hold infinity in the palm of your hand // And eternity in an hour."
andrewas
level4
level4

Postby andrewas » Fri Jul 18, 2003 3:41 pm

Quote: from Flamekebab on 2:47 pm on July 18, 2003[br]

What the hell do you want to know that for?

c:\games , c:\dosbox\dosdrive\, c:\program files\

games being for pre-windows stuff, dosbox being for stuff that needs a DOS emulator, progfiles being for modern games.

Why?
NicoKhaos
level1
level1

Postby NicoKhaos » Fri Jul 18, 2003 4:13 pm

People can you all not get off the subject of my "new presence" here. I know that there is free speech and all but there are better things to talk about, no offence to anyone so don't take it the wrong way.
Nothing is more hateful to wisdom than too much cleverness. -NicoKhaos-
TheDrop
level2
level2

Postby TheDrop » Fri Jul 18, 2003 4:16 pm

Why is this thred six pages long?
"'Cause once in awhile you get shown in the light, In the strangest of places if you look at it right."--Bradly James Nowell
Stewsburntmonkey
level5
level5

Postby Stewsburntmonkey » Fri Jul 18, 2003 4:21 pm

Because it turned into an impromptu discussion of forum etiquette.  It really has nothing to do with NicoKhaos, but how the community handles newcommers in general.  :)
NicoKhaos
level1
level1

Postby NicoKhaos » Fri Jul 18, 2003 4:33 pm

At least I know it's not me anymore......HEHE
Nothing is more hateful to wisdom than too much cleverness. -NicoKhaos-
Jackmn
level5
level5

Postby Jackmn » Sat Jul 19, 2003 1:36 am

Quote: from NicoKhaos on 4:13 pm on July 18, 2003[br]People can you all not get off the subject of my "new presence" here. I know that there is free speech and all but there are better things to talk about, no offence to anyone so don't take it the wrong way.
There is no freedom of speech on privatly owned forums.

Not that this has any relevance to anything.
prozak
level4
level4

Postby prozak » Sat Jul 19, 2003 10:35 am

as i stated before....

the true vets, you know who you are, should lend a hlping hand to new comers, and if you dont feel like helping then just stay in your cave. its as simple as that, we dont want anyone in the forum thats going to piss and moan about someone asking for help, so stay of the forum till your in a better mood, try having a drink, smoking some bud, getting laid all good ways to vent some anger and calm down. the latter being my personal favorite, but you know this is jsut my opinion, and obviously the opinions of noobs dont count on this forum.
Agent Rebellion
level2
level2

Postby Agent Rebellion » Sat Jul 19, 2003 11:15 am

Of course the opinions of newbies count! If we only have the opinions of the vets then conversation is going to go stale. I'm only just a vet myself and only by post count. (Not sure if I'm accepted yet :P) but the more opinions an issue has, the better, right? No, wait, that causes arguments. well, nm You might understand me lol. But look, if you're all annoyed about newbies, look at how long a thread this new person has managed lol just by saying she was new. So there ya go lol
Yours sincerely, an Uplink agent.http://uplink.stewsburntmonkey.comGo and view my profile there......please? lol
prozak
level4
level4

Postby prozak » Sat Jul 19, 2003 11:20 am

i am also a vet by post count but prolly half of my count are "noob" questions, becuase i admit it i am a noob-a-holic i just dont want to let go of my comfort zone yet, becuase if i say something really stupid i can just say oh im a noob i dotn know what im talking about. see thats what i like about being a noob, its kinda like thoose im training badges you get to wear when you first start working somewhere, well i didnt take my badge off till i had to. its that comfort of knowing that whenever you screw up you have a legitamit excuse.
Hektik sniper
level5
level5

Postby Hektik sniper » Sat Jul 19, 2003 11:32 am

post count doesnt make you a vet.
British Army The Number 1 UK Soldat Clan
Winners of Storm and Destory CTF

Return to “General”