Enough is enough

Anything and Everything about Uplink

Moderators: bert_the_turtle, jelco, Chris, Icepick, Rkiver

User avatar
Punisher Bass
level5
level5
Posts: 1703
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2002 4:21 pm
Location: St. Louis MO
Contact:

Postby Punisher Bass » Tue Apr 29, 2003 5:30 pm

Chris told me not to go off on rants, but I’ve reached my limit here. Enough is enough. These are the Uplink forums, not everyone’s personal stomping grounds. This is a place to discus Uplink and Uplink related things. I don’t mind the occasional off topic post, but this has gotten way out of hand.

Read the description of the General forum. “Any and all things about Uplink”, not “About anything you damn well please”. Since when did flame wars over every subject become the norm? When did it become mandatory that every newb has to make a “Hi I’m new” thread? And when did having a different view/opinion on a subject automatically make that person wrong?

The constant flame wars and the name calling needs to be stopped. If some people don’t see eye to eye on a subject, then by all means have your own little debate. But act like fucking adults and not little kids. Most people on here are able to do that, it’s the few people, and you know who you are, who act like an ass and cause a thread to get closed or deleted. If you want to have a flame war then do it someplace else.

Keep it clean around here and keep it on topic. If there is another rash of flame wars like there was this morning then I will take action again. It’s my job to keep this place free of crap and I will continue to do that as I see fit. If you have a problem then take it up with me in private. And give the whole “PB is a nazi” thing a rest. It’s one of the most outlandish things I’ve ever heard.

If you don’t like it around here for whatever reason you might have then feel free to leave. Just because you don’t enjoy yourself doesn’t mean you need to spread your misery around to everyone. No one is forcing you to stay here. If you don’t like it on the forums but chose to stay then quit bitching. The only person you have to blame is yourself. Once again, if you hate the forums then go away and leave the rest of us in peace.

But then again maybe it’s just me…
Image
There is no patch for human stupidity.
Confederate EDA
level3
level3
Posts: 437
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2003 4:13 pm
Contact:

Postby Confederate EDA » Tue Apr 29, 2003 5:34 pm

I agree PB, I'm getting tired of seeing too much fighting in the forums.  I mean, damn people, you're filling the forum with your personal bullshit.  There wouldn't be much sense in continuing the fights, cause they should be private (and who's gonna do that?).  And some people should have already been banned by now, though I'm not saying who, I'm sure most of us have a similar opinion on this.  With that said, can we please get back to talking about the Dev CD?  
Can you do what I do?  Can you hunt deer and cyber-criminals at the same time?  Ete mor dere!
http://uplink.stewsburntmonkey.com/profile.php?Confederate%20EDA
Stewsburntmonkey
level5
level5
Posts: 11553
Joined: Wed Jul 10, 2002 7:44 pm
Location: Nashville, TN
Contact:

Postby Stewsburntmonkey » Tue Apr 29, 2003 5:42 pm

In responce to PB's post:

Well I totally agree with all that, although I don't think you can seriously say that "Any and all things Uplink" has ever really been a good description of this forum.  These forums and the IRC channel are the basis of a community and have become stomping grounds of alot of people.  Many of these people provide a service to IV and the game while they are here.  I for one would not be here answering questions in the non-general forums if I did not have the freedom to discuss war, religion, politics, etc in General.  I think having a free and open General forum is what drives the community and in the process helps IV out a lot.  I hate the way the recent discussion have gone, the name calling, and petty nature of them is ridiculous and would see mods delete/edit offensive, abusive, spammish language/posts, but closing a thread in mid arguement only aggrevates the problem and spawn more threads.  :)

(Edited by Stewsburntmonkey at 3:37 pm on April 29, 2003)
User avatar
NeoThermic
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff
Posts: 6254
Joined: Sat Mar 02, 2002 10:55 am
Location: ::1
Contact:

Postby NeoThermic » Tue Apr 29, 2003 8:20 pm

Well said PB. If thats what you produce when you rant, then why are you prevented from ranting? :wink:

All your points are valid, and they are so good, that this is going into my sig... [ no, not the whole rant, just a link :wink: ]

NeoThermic
User avatar
Punisher Bass
level5
level5
Posts: 1703
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2002 4:21 pm
Location: St. Louis MO
Contact:

Postby Punisher Bass » Tue Apr 29, 2003 8:23 pm

Because Chris feels it would give the green light for everyone to rant as well. And just that has happened sort of.
Image

There is no patch for human stupidity.
Adriac
level5
level5
Posts: 3504
Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2002 7:20 am

Postby Adriac » Tue Apr 29, 2003 8:35 pm

You don't think it would be a better idea to not rant and just deal with the flames in a quiet and efficient manner?
00010001000100000000101100010111000 10110000100010001100001011111000101 10000100100000111100010000000011010 0001011000111100001000100001011
User avatar
Punisher Bass
level5
level5
Posts: 1703
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2002 4:21 pm
Location: St. Louis MO
Contact:

Postby Punisher Bass » Tue Apr 29, 2003 8:37 pm

As I said, I reached my limit. I can only stand so much before I snap.
Image

There is no patch for human stupidity.
Adriac
level5
level5
Posts: 3504
Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2002 7:20 am

Postby Adriac » Tue Apr 29, 2003 8:46 pm

I'm just saying it might make you feel better to go delete a few flame posts instead.
00010001000100000000101100010111000 10110000100010001100001011111000101 10000100100000111100010000000011010 0001011000111100001000100001011
User avatar
Punisher Bass
level5
level5
Posts: 1703
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2002 4:21 pm
Location: St. Louis MO
Contact:

Postby Punisher Bass » Tue Apr 29, 2003 8:52 pm

Well this is a once in a blue moon type thing.
Image

There is no patch for human stupidity.
Adriac
level5
level5
Posts: 3504
Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2002 7:20 am

Postby Adriac » Tue Apr 29, 2003 8:59 pm

It's just, you know, asking politely isn't usually booked as the most productive method of handling flamers.
00010001000100000000101100010111000 10110000100010001100001011111000101 10000100100000111100010000000011010 0001011000111100001000100001011
TheRaven
level3
level3
Posts: 416
Joined: Thu Nov 14, 2002 10:01 pm
Contact:

Postby TheRaven » Tue Apr 29, 2003 9:37 pm

Ummm... Well I find this strange. In my opinion the flaming has been greatly reduced compared to what it was when I came here. Remember a while ago when all Uplink related stuff was just dropping off the front page for flame wars. The situation is greatly improved. And closing the Holocast thread was remarkably cold hearted. Usually I keep quiet about moderation, but I feel that PB you have been using your power a little to much. and aren't rules bendable. Soon we will revert to stoning n00bs for accidently posting in the wrong place.
You all say that some of us are highly respected members of the community. So if we are shouldn't we remember how much better it is now. Really PB I like you (although AWOL needs to be upadated) but I have also snapped. I think that certain topics are extremme but let natural selection take over and these are usually pushed in the reccesses of the forum within a few days. Decent topics always stay near the top and flames usually die fast.
P.S Sorry to have somuch of a rant but I'm not in a good mood today.
All I want is a warm bed and a kind word and unlimited power. - Ashleigh Brilliant
Stewsburntmonkey
level5
level5
Posts: 11553
Joined: Wed Jul 10, 2002 7:44 pm
Location: Nashville, TN
Contact:

Postby Stewsburntmonkey » Tue Apr 29, 2003 9:48 pm

Generally n00bs (hmm. . . hate that word) get the hint much better after they are greeted with:

"Hey welcome to the forums, now stop posting spam/in the wrong forum/stupid stuff/etc. . . "

Than if a mod closes the thread (not that mods generally close those threads anyway).  Even non-n00b (hmm. . . there it is again) are better delt with through tasteful, but sharp, remarks from the community rather than a mod action.  Most of the trolls are that way for attention/acceptance/etc. . . and when they don't get that they generally leave.  But thats just my observation.  :)
User avatar
Iris
level5
level5
Posts: 2423
Joined: Wed Apr 09, 2003 6:15 am
Location: Land of the Morning Calm

Postby Iris » Wed Apr 30, 2003 12:19 am

though i see your point, stew, the problem is, though one thread that became a flame war dies down, the same topic only seems to resurface on a new thread that's been created by the same guys who started the previous thread, or some n00b who seems to side with either one of the parties involved in the previous flame war.

another thing to point out, and this i have to point out in favor of PB, is that  although the forums is supposedly created mainly with uplink as a topic, with the occassional topics entirely unrelated to the game every now and then, nowadays, the exception seems to be more profound than the rule. at least in my observation, one thread which generally starts with a legitimate discussion about uplink or something related to it ends up going in another direction by an average of around 15 to 20 posts or so, notwithstanding the bumps made to it.

more so, it seems that respect of the general public to the mods is going down the drain. how often do you see the mods close down a thread, out of all the number of threads posted here? as stew implied, not that many. these mods are not stupid, and they are certainly not careless. they try their best to exercise extreme caution and good judgment whether a thread deserves to be closed or left open to die naturally as most of them do. but there are some who see it differently, and if you will review by yourselves, even the n00bs who 'wanted to be click' to one side or another are also taken in into the fray, bashing the mods just because they wanted to make a statement for themselves.

i believe the real veterans of the forums here, those who have really stayed long enough in the forums, you guys know these gentlemen better than we do.

the moment we signed up for this forum, we agreed to abide by the rules of the forum. where is it now? and in case you didn't notice, there is a 'Messenger' feature in this forum, in case you need to give a piece of your mind to some other member in the forum, which you can do so Privately, without giving attention to yourselves.

(Edited by Iris at 12:20 am on April 30, 2003)
Image
OuTkAsT767
level1
level1
Posts: 43
Joined: Sat Nov 23, 2002 2:53 am
Location: Some where in the Artic Cricle
Contact:

Postby OuTkAsT767 » Wed Apr 30, 2003 12:29 am

i do make off the topic subjects somtimes and i am all so getting pissed at the newbes and there threads im new here ":angry:who cares:angry:" about if your a newbe i don;t. if it has to do with the uplink or hacking or programs that deal with uplink or related subjects are fine but stop with the stupied shit.

(Edited by OuTkAsT767 at 12:30 am on April 30, 2003)
The Hackers of Today are The Rulers of Tomorrow!
GreenLeaf
level3
level3
Posts: 286
Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2003 11:09 am
Location: Inside your PC

Postby GreenLeaf » Wed Apr 30, 2003 10:51 am

I agree that the flames need to stop, I also agree that the bitching insulting etc etc needs to stop.

How about having 1 thread in general just to vent your anger, which wont be closed down, that way we can all debt wether someone has a vaild point to make or not.

as for the 'a few idiots here, you know who you are' etc. etc. comments, I would like to point the following out.

I have said a number of times in the last few days, I'm not going to be as abusive in future, (been to the Doc's got vallium), I'm still the focus of abusive attention though can anyone tell me why this is...in a none abusive way?

>>> A Nice Uplink related thread I made which for some reason (after i recieved an amazing amount of abuse) was closed

>>> The abuse continues with an insightful reason for closing the thread.

>>> A thread I made to help people with game bibles. I was asked not to post this in general, note i edited the post with no abusive responses. (pitty I was still abused for my trouble).

>>> A thread I made when i first joined, NO ONE asked  me not to do this, (yet now I get abuse for doing it)

>>> A nice example of the respect mods have when members asked a perfectly reasonable question.

>>> A thread in which a member asked me a direct question the thread was close before I had a chance to reply, (Note the way i was told not to open a new thread).

>>> A thread showing a mods reasons for closing no less than 4 threads (1 post after the first was deleted and so on) regarding the dev cd/ Uplink 2.

My Conclusion.

To debate something is good, if you disagree fine, say why you disagree and debate it like adults (even if your not), If your going to start insulting, expect insults in return...

Maybe PB does a very good job of moderating these forums, however evidence clearly shows he is extremely bias as to closing/deleting/editing threads.

I still feel strongly about the fact that certain members will stick together in a sort of little gang (safety in numbers I think) and throw insult after insult at certain other members not because they have a problem with them, just because XYZ doesnt like them...

Anyway, I dont think I have been insulting to anyone in this post, I haven't used foul language etc etc... I have pointed out my reasons for feeling the way I feel, said I'm not going to be abusive in future, I hope to get the same from others.

:)



(Edited by GreenLeaf at 10:55 am on April 30, 2003)
Ummm.....

Return to “General”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests