My Resignation... & Downlink!

Anything and Everything about Uplink

Moderators: bert_the_turtle, jelco, Chris, Icepick, Rkiver

einstein
level5
level5

Postby einstein » Fri Mar 07, 2003 6:01 pm

Hey everyone,

Well, as you may or may not have noticed i havent been around on the forums (or IRC) lately as much as I have in the past. The reasons for that are kinda 2 fold... I am really busy with real life stuff (work, uni, etc) and I am slightly bored of the community.

I have been thinking of resigning for a while to allow a more active member of the forum community to take my place and do a better job than i have been doing recently. However, the death of downlink has spured me into a departure from the community that I have been considering for a while.

So, as a result, I have contacted Chris and i expect to be removed from the moderator list soon. I have recommended to Chris that he appoint another worthy community member and passed on a few names of those i think would do a good job.....

Right so thats me if i visit it will now be to just post... and that wont happen often so this i guess is goodbye! :D

On to downlink....

Well, as regular visiters to the site will have noted the site is down... and i hate to be the barer of bad news but this is a permanent situation (at least for downlink in that incarnation).

Downlink's Host "hostmeonce" has went bankrupt, and the latest backup of the site was quite old, but much worse there was NO recent backup of the mySQL DB which means all the information on users in the challenge is lost...

So it is my sad duty to inform you that the challenge is off. Sorry, but there is nothing we can do...

In some happier more hopeful news, MegaDeth tells me he is looking for a new server... so you might see some incarnation of downlink again in the future - however he (and i assume Zaptan) will be running it... with me very much just a visitor....

Well thanks guys, its been a good year as a member of teh community! Made some good friends, made some enemies but ach well - such is life...

So everyone be happy, hope you have a good life etc etc.... and im sure ill pop back every so often (and esp when the new IV game comes out)

So until then....

(Edited by einstein at 5:06 pm on Mar. 7, 2003)
RoystonD12
level4
level4

Postby RoystonD12 » Fri Mar 07, 2003 6:10 pm

Sad day... Anyway, as ein said, I'm looking for a enw host right now and I think i've found one... Downlink will be dead until at least the beginning of april, when I get paid.

Please do not worry, the Downlink Challenge isn't history! Once we've got ourselves sorted out with the hosting, we'll get back to rebuilding it, so we hope that all you who registered will do so again (nearly 200 people!!!)

Thanks and sorry for the bad news
what.up('yo');
Crackdown2001
level2
level2

Postby Crackdown2001 » Fri Mar 07, 2003 6:12 pm

/me sobs :'(

But if Zaptan and MegaDeth want any help with a new incarnation of Downlink, i'd be more than happy to donate my services.
I know a sig that'll get on your nerves, get on your nerves, get on your nerves...
vibroaxe
level2
level2

Postby vibroaxe » Fri Mar 07, 2003 6:28 pm

WOW
really sad to see ya go ein

hope u'll stay in contact wiv us all
you can lick my face and sleep on my head, but touch my food and consider yourself .... DEAD
coolsi
level5
level5

Postby coolsi » Fri Mar 07, 2003 6:28 pm

Yet another substantial member of the community leaves...I'm sorry to see you go, einstein, but it's up to you!

Good luck in whatever you do!

Lets hope we see Downlink come back soon.
Nakatomi is coming
Stewsburntmonkey
level5
level5

Postby Stewsburntmonkey » Fri Mar 07, 2003 6:42 pm

On to bigger and better things. . .  Its probably a good thing, but a loss to the community nonetheless.  C'est la vie.  Good luck, einstein.  :)
Cold Fusion
level5
level5

Postby Cold Fusion » Fri Mar 07, 2003 6:44 pm

Aye, c ya ein. It's a shame to see you go, but if that's what you want to do, then that's fair enough.

Good luck ol' boy! :)

EDIT: Also a shame to see Downlink down as well, but you're not alone, a few of us have the same problem as well...

Anyway, good luck with whatever you decide to do with your life. :biggrin: Have fun.

(Edited by Cold Fusion at 5:49 pm on Mar. 7, 2003)
*Cold Fusion*
Hektik sniper
level5
level5

Postby Hektik sniper » Fri Mar 07, 2003 6:52 pm

sorry to be losing ya ein good luck in what ever u do

sorry to be seeing downlink go as well

(Edited by Hektik sniper at 6:10 pm on Mar. 7, 2003)
British Army The Number 1 UK Soldat Clan
Winners of Storm and Destory CTF
Icepick
level5
level5

Postby Icepick » Fri Mar 07, 2003 7:00 pm

Its a shame to see you go ein. I'd like to leave you with a few words of advice that my father gave to me:
'If you ever time travel to the past, dont touch anything, cus even the slightest change could alter the future.'

See you around.

Edit - Damn the typo's!

(Edited by Icepick at 6:02 pm on Mar. 7, 2003)
Tzar Sectus
level0

Postby Tzar Sectus » Fri Mar 07, 2003 7:14 pm

Meow! *waves*
tommy060289
level5
level5

Postby tommy060289 » Fri Mar 07, 2003 7:28 pm

Sorry to see ya go. On another note can I be cheeky and ask who was on the list of suggested moderators and am I on it by any chance.
!toidI ,rorrim eht ni kool

Subliminal (burn) messaging (your) is (friends) awesome!
AnthonyS
level5
level5

Postby AnthonyS » Fri Mar 07, 2003 7:52 pm

Bye Einstein. You were one of the few people here I respected.
thepeppermintninja
level0

Postby thepeppermintninja » Fri Mar 07, 2003 7:57 pm

MrDictionary here:

**salutes Einstein**

good luck with stuff! ;_;
-------------------------------
The Generic Zone http://www.genericzone.cjb.net
Deepsmeg
level5
level5

Postby Deepsmeg » Fri Mar 07, 2003 8:56 pm

Cya. Good luck.

I have recommended to Chris that he appoint another worthy community member and passed on a few names of those i think would do a good job.....

I wonder who...
AnthonyS
level5
level5

Postby AnthonyS » Fri Mar 07, 2003 9:02 pm

Did you say that to stir up attention!?! 'CAUS IT AINT GONNA WORK!!!

errrr....am I on it? :).

Return to “General”