level4

Postby Virulent Virus » Fri Feb 07, 2003 1:52 pm

just think, no more IV!!!!
This is not a signature.
markhyder
level2
level2

Postby markhyder » Fri Feb 07, 2003 3:06 pm

If Uplink is being taken over, why have introversion logo and Infogrames logo?

Mabby Infogrames is giveing money to introversion to get more people to buy Uplink. This picturs was made in the USA, what about the UK?

Has anyone of you e-mailed Infogrames about this?
Starfyre
level5
level5

Postby Starfyre » Fri Feb 07, 2003 3:10 pm

*me gets the bad feeling Introversion has been swallowed by a big game company, like so many others, and will, from now on, produce conveyor belt software for the big chef with no innovations whatsoever*

...or? ;__;   please no....
Punisher Bass
level5
level5

Postby Punisher Bass » Fri Feb 07, 2003 3:29 pm

Everyone, do not panic. Introversion isn't being taken over. Chris has said in several interviews that even if IV goes belly up, it doesn't matter because they have proven their point. And we all know how much Chris hates big companies and he would rather let IV die than let it be taken over.

Teaming up with Stratagy First and Infogames was a nesasery evil. IV alone doesn't have the money, man power, or recognition here in the states. Joining forces was the only thing to do to get Uplink released in the states. And I'm sure IV isn't happy about the name change either.
There is no patch for human stupidity.
Chris
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff

Postby Chris » Fri Feb 07, 2003 4:54 pm

You people have amazing imaginations.  Next thing you know we'll be making another addon pack for The Sims, right? ;)

Please, remain calm.  Re-read the news article for 18th January 2003, slowly this time.  Introversion Software has signed a deal with Strategy First to publish Uplink in the USA.  Introversion still owns everything that it owned before - Uplink is still ours, and the company is still ours - but Strategy now have permission to sell Uplink in shops in the USA.  They have repackaged the game, and renamed it to make it more clear what the game is about.  I personally prefer the name 'Uplink', but it's their call.  They have also included the latest 1.31 patch on the disk.  They are running their own advertising campaign in the USA, involving their own ads and promos.

Strategy First happen to use Infogrames as a distributor.  The Distributors role is to take a published game and sell them to the Retailers (shops).  Infogrames do many things (including game development, publishing and distributing), but for us they will be Distributing only.

So, basically it's
Introversion -> Strategy -> Infogrames -> USA Shop -> USA Punter

It's basically the same deal that we have in the UK, except in the UK we do our own publishing.  This means we do our own packaging, organise advertising campaigns, handle PR with Games Magazines, and pay for production.  If you recall, we signed a deal with Pinnacle (a distributor) many months ago to Distribute Uplink in UK shops.  So in the UK it's

Introversion -> Pinnacle -> UK Shops -> UK Punter

And, of course, on the web you can just cut out the middle man entirely and do your own Publishing and Distribution:

Introversion -> Web punter

There is no way we can self publish in the US, as the money/resources required are at least ten times higher, and we don't have anybody over there.

Please everyone, cancel your Red Alert Status ;)  This deal has no impact whatsoever on the games we are currently working on.  It has no impact on Uplink, as you will still be able to buy Uplink from our site, or in shops in the UK, and it's the same version that has always been on sale at those locations.

And How exactly did you imagine Introversion was being taken over?  Is someone going to buy my bedroom?  We aren't a company, we don't have an office, there is nothing to buy.  Chill out ;)
RoystonD12
level4
level4

Postby RoystonD12 » Fri Feb 07, 2003 5:11 pm

Amen, brudder
what.up('yo');
ChIcO
level4
level4

Postby ChIcO » Fri Feb 07, 2003 5:16 pm

well......when i read this i didnt exactly believe introversion was gonna get taken over, thx for confirming it chris;)

but hacker elite?

thats gonna take some getting used to:|
Oh How [url=http:\\www.geocities.com\xxxchicoxxx2002]Annoying,[/url]
My page, its too good for all of you
Punisher Bass
level5
level5

Postby Punisher Bass » Fri Feb 07, 2003 5:54 pm

My point exactly Chris.

SSHack
level4
level4

Postby SSHack » Fri Feb 07, 2003 6:22 pm

What is the point of selling in the U.S.?

You'll only loose money by selling it over there anyway.
Besides if you sell it for let's say $35 over there, EA and Stratergy first will take 90% of the profit anway.
"I am a hacker, and this is my manifesto. You may stop this individual, but you can't stop us all... After all, we're all alike." ----Awards:---- ||Grow Up! by Deepsmeg ||Qu
Punisher Bass
level5
level5

Postby Punisher Bass » Fri Feb 07, 2003 6:31 pm

EA isn't a factor here as far as I know. And IV wouldn't agree to a contract if they were only going to get 10% of the profits. And the point behind selling it here in the states is so it's out there for more people to see. More people can get ahold of it now.

Virulent Virus
level4
level4

Postby Virulent Virus » Fri Feb 07, 2003 7:05 pm

Thanks for clarifiying that for us Chris. I was getting a tad worried :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:
This is not a signature.

Return to “General”