R there any real life hackers reading this

Anything and Everything about Uplink

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, Chris, Icepick, Rkiver

ProdigyNIC
level0

Postby ProdigyNIC » Mon Dec 30, 2002 3:50 pm

Oh, and By the way, if anyone wants some software regarding IP's or Viruses, visit [url=http://www.astalavista.com] Astalavista Security Group
ProdigyNIC
suaciide
level0

Postby suaciide » Mon Dec 30, 2002 5:21 pm

Quote: from bgreene2001 on 5:41 am on Dec. 30, 2002[br]I like playing with fire too.  But what does that have to do with hacking?  

uh yeh.  <sarcasm> and i meant playing with fire literally </sarcasm>

the whole .box.sk network is really good.. neworder.box.sk is probably one of the best, imo..
i remember when it was just astalavista.box.sk and thrax.box.sk. heheh.
- suäciide|ediicäus -
Jackmn
level5
level5

Postby Jackmn » Mon Dec 30, 2002 6:54 pm

Quote: from NeoThermic on 11:22 am on Dec. 30, 2002[br]Actualy Einsiten, you half rignt and half wrong.
when it comes to cracking 9x passwords, you dont have to, there is a way round them.  Cracking NT, 2K and XP passwords takes time, as you do have to crack up to 7 of the possible 14 letters in the combination (its a secuirty thing that the first 7 leters encryption is encrypted the same as the last 7 (if there is more than 7 letters).
BUT, hacking open shares across the internet is actualy done one letter at a time. Yes, like Uplink, the server does respond to each letter send, so if the password was hi, the server says no to abcdefg, but yes to h, then you move on to the next letter and try. after the server says yes to that letter, you try the next letter. since this example is only 2 letters long, the third letter starts off with no, telling you that you have the password.

Of course the server doesnt exaclty reply NO and YES, it replies by error code. Also, you must remeber that in real hacking, you have diffrent OS'es and they require diffrent techniques to exploit them.

Yes, I admit, I am a real hacker, but im just that, a hacker, not a cracker, I dont do damage, leave traces of my actions, and I dont take anything, even if it was a list of credit card numbers or whatnot.

Oh, and as a side note, deleting logs on a NT based system [that includes 2K and XP] is slightly similar, you have to know what times you did what, then delete the lines out of the log manualy, but if someone suspects something, this technique is easy to find (so in theroy, its like log deleter version 1).

And as another side note, you can't hack a bank like you can in uplink, unfortunalty bypassers don't exsist :|

Erm, any well written piece of software will only respond to an entire password.

Anybody that writes password protected networking software that can be broken into one letter at a time, deserves to have their software broken into.

And anybody trusting windows security...
Bleh.
einstein
level5
level5

Postby einstein » Mon Dec 30, 2002 8:20 pm

yes, Jackmn thats what i thought - if i wrote server software/OSs i sure as hell wouldnt respond until the entire password was submited - Neo are you sure that the server responds on each keypress?
Jackmn
level5
level5

Postby Jackmn » Mon Dec 30, 2002 8:24 pm

I've written some networking software [Remote administration] in Java, and it didn't respond to each individual letter.

Actually, it didn't respond at all until a cr lf pair was sent, and the server would only respond with a  0x00 or 0x01 to denote failure or success, respectively.
ARC destroyer
level3
level3

Postby ARC destroyer » Mon Dec 30, 2002 9:22 pm

A few password crackers only go through the most used passwords
keep your computer locked up or its gonna be broken.
visit my forum: www.fightforinfo.tk
Whitelist
level0

Postby Whitelist » Mon Dec 30, 2002 11:54 pm

I am a Hacker, a legal hacker. I'm getting employed by companies who wants to test their systems for hackers.
Whitelist
dajerk
level3
level3

Postby dajerk » Tue Dec 31, 2002 1:30 am

im not a hacker, or even know how to build security. but given the choice i would be white hat
#501 to join the forums(under this name), #1795 under the name of Prozak
slyph
level1
level1

Postby slyph » Tue Dec 31, 2002 5:03 am

Neo, I hope you used some form of relay before posting that, otherwise you did just leave a trace of your actions :) . However to be perfectly honest I dont think any authentication software anywhere would be dumb enough to use key-by-key password checking. Not only is it more computationally intensive, it reduces the strength of the password to practically nothing. However, I may be wrong (and MS frequently do stupid things) so post the OS variant and type of network share, I'm curious now :)

~Sigital
actorindp
level0

Postby actorindp » Tue Dec 31, 2002 5:50 am

I must say I do love the IP addys that start with 0 or a number above 255 lol
:)
-AcToRiNdP
Whacko
level0

Postby Whacko » Tue Dec 31, 2002 6:23 am

most bruteforce crackers work like this:

first it tries 1 letter passwords like:
a
b
c
etc

then 2 letter passwords:
aa
ab
ac
until
zz
26 * 26 combinations (without numbers in teh passwords)

and so on, but since most authentications only allow you to enter a wrong pass 3 times theres no way to really use this shit :P
slyph
level1
level1

Postby slyph » Tue Dec 31, 2002 6:39 am

Three times per connection sure, but then you dont try cracking someone's password by bruteforcing telnet over the internet, it would take too long. Usually brute-force attacks against an authentication mechanism are launched either locally or over a high-speed network. That way you can burn through hundreds of thousands of combinations fast enough to be worthwhile. Do it at five in the morning and (hopefully) you'll have found it before anyone checks the logs. Unless they have an IDS.... you did use a proxy right? :)

~Sigital
Kandleman
level1
level1

Postby Kandleman » Tue Dec 31, 2002 7:51 am

K well are we talking about cracking win9x PW's, NT pw's, or over the internet. Cracking Windows 9x passwords is like the simplest thing possible. All you gotta do is copy all of the .PWL files from c:/windows/, get a program like Cain, and your set. They have very easy encryptions to break. However, NT passwords are a bit harder... I'm trying to get the admin password at my school, just for fun of course.. But on NT systems, they use .SAM files. SAM files are way more
secure than .pwl files in general. There is only one fault to them, Since
Windows NT/2000 computers are made to be backward compatible with other
versions of Windows (such as 98,95, etc.) they must use a weaker encryption
called LanMan encryption which is only slightly better than .PWL encryption. So basically what I am saying is that in order to crack the password, you need
to get ahold of the SAM file. Now, unlike Windows 9.x based computers, all the
passwords are stored in only ONE sam file instead of multiple .pwl files like
in Windows 9.x. There is one drawback to all of this though. It is very
difficult to obtain a copy of the SAM file on Windows NT/2000 computers. The
REAL SAM file is in the directory C:/winnt/system32/config and is under the
name SAM. Now, of course their is one drawback to this. As long as Windows NT
or 2000 is running, Windows locks out any access to obtaining the SAM file. So
don't bother going there. There is this tool that administrators like to use
that backups important files, including the SAM file which is located in
another directory that is NOT locked by Windows. This directory is
C:/winnt/repair/ in which there is a file called SAM._ located there. It is a
compressed version of the real SAM file. And to break .SAM file encryption, you need a program like  L0phtcrack.  L0phtcrack specializes in breaking .SAM file encryptions. And that is the end of my post.

*Note: Breaking .PWL files will take at most 1 hour, but breaking a .SAM file could take up to 24hours.
Back in '82 I could throw the pigskin a quarter mile.
Kyrel2
level0

Postby Kyrel2 » Wed Jan 01, 2003 10:40 pm

There is also another way the get the secure sam.

Get a  9x boot disk from the internet that has a  NTFS driver included.

put in boot disk and reboot computer in to 9x. The ntfs driver will let your 9x disk see the NTFS partition.

now since you are not in NT/windows 2000 the security is not there so you can copy the sam file to the disk. Or
(I forget the size of a typical SAM file) copy it to the root folder or mayber make a duplicate and rename it... use your imagination!

reboot computer into nt/2000 copy your saved sam file you can use a CD-RW formated with a Packet writing software...In-cd, direct cd... or a pocket usb drive.....

enjoy....
[url]http://www.INTROVERSION.CO.UK/bookthree[/url]
USERNAME bookthree
PASSWORD thehackermanifestoiscrap
NeoThermic
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff

Postby NeoThermic » Sat Jan 04, 2003 12:07 pm

heh, for 9x machines, forget cracking the pwl file, just reboot the machine, and get into dos (press F9 if i remember correctly).

then navigate to the windows directory and rename all pwl files to .pwl.old
now reboot, put  in the username that you want to hack, put in any password, and confirm it, and you are in. do what you want, then reboot, and rename the .old files back into .pwl

As for cracking shares over a network, yes, i can confirm its done one letter at a time (stupid eh...) grab yourself a copy of GIF Secuirty Scanner, and scan any shares that you have on a 9x machine (it doesnt work on 2k NT or XP), and then click crack password. Look at the toolbar on the bottom, and you see it cracking the password, one letter at a time... :)

{GFI is located at www.GFI.com }

<edit - fixed url - why cant anyone work urls - einstein>

(Edited by einstein at 5:50 pm on Jan. 4, 2003)

Return to “General”