Warez - Your Opinions

Anything and Everything about Uplink

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, Chris, Icepick, Rkiver

CowInParachute
level1
level1

Postby CowInParachute » Sun Dec 01, 2002 2:10 pm

Obviously, warezing seems to be quite a hot topic here, so I'm just interested in what everyone thinks of it. I'm most curious about Uplink specifically, although I assume the results will be pretty one sided, considering this is an Uplink forum.

Oh, and I'd be obliged if you kept this topic open for at least a day. Thank you.
CowInParachute
Owner of the Most Grammatically Incorrect Name on the Forums.
AnthonyS
level5
level5

Postby AnthonyS » Sun Dec 01, 2002 2:20 pm

It depends what game it is.
Uplink-
(i.e. games made by people who deserve the little bit of money)
NO

MM1-
(i.e. games made by people who DONT deserve the money)
YES

Duke 3D-
(i.e. games that are REALLY old and that you cant find anywhere to legaly buy them)
YES

Well, that is my personal opinion.

(Edited by AnthonyS at 1:23 pm on Dec. 1, 2002)
CowInParachute
level1
level1

Postby CowInParachute » Sun Dec 01, 2002 2:23 pm

Ah, but here's a scenario. If somebody warezes Uplink, but buys the Bonus Disk, how do you think about them?
CowInParachute
NeoThermic
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff

Postby NeoThermic » Sun Dec 01, 2002 2:26 pm

I hate those who warez Uplink. I hate them so much, that every so often, I go on kazaa and flame those who are sharing it. Most dont listen, but I have had a few stop shareing it soon after. I have had only one person actualy say that they are going to buy the game,a nd stop warezing it. (though wether or not this is true is another story).

I hate those who warez things that people have taken major time to make. Uplink was made by just Chris, and the other two helped Chris through out the rest of the time. To start a games dev. company on £300 is nothing short of amazing; but there is no need to warez Uplink. They deserve every penny of the £19.99 that Uplink costs at HMV...

Enough of my ranting, but that is my opinion.
AnthonyS
level5
level5

Postby AnthonyS » Sun Dec 01, 2002 2:27 pm

They are a lazy git that couldnt find the Bonus CD on the net, so he decided that even a cheap barsted like him could aford the £5 for it.
CowInParachute
level1
level1

Postby CowInParachute » Sun Dec 01, 2002 2:40 pm

The reason I asked about Uplink is because I believe Introversion both develops and publishes. Usually, when something is warezed, the publisher loses out instead of the developer. In this case, however, the developer is the publisher, which means one warezed copy is a loss to Introversion themselves.

I do think some people are a little harsh on warezers, though. I mean, something like three quarters of warezers wouldn't have bought the game anyway.
CowInParachute
Chad Mulligan
level2
level2

Postby Chad Mulligan » Sun Dec 01, 2002 7:14 pm

Oh, go do a search.  It's not like this is a NEW thread...
"I tell you three times..."
sysrq
level2
level2

Postby sysrq » Sun Dec 01, 2002 7:18 pm

heh its all a matter of opinion where you draw the line. People will allways fight over it, kinda a useless topic.
DEATH TO DUCKS!!!
dajerk
level3
level3

Postby dajerk » Sun Dec 01, 2002 7:27 pm

sys where can i get linux?
#501 to join the forums(under this name), #1795 under the name of Prozak
sysrq
level2
level2

Postby sysrq » Sun Dec 01, 2002 7:29 pm

i answered u in pm.
DEATH TO DUCKS!!!
bionic sheep
level3
level3

Postby bionic sheep » Sun Dec 01, 2002 8:08 pm

Hmm. A little off-topic, methinks.

Warez is a viewpoint. I don't and say it's bad, others do and say it's good.

The difference is, I am correct.
http://www.weebl.jolt.co.uk/pie.htm Mmmm . . . pie . . .  When come back, bring pie!
Rkiver
level5
level5

Postby Rkiver » Sun Dec 01, 2002 8:15 pm

I have to agree...warezing uplink is horribly wrong as introversion was started up on a small budget and now is the lifeblood of three guys..to rob them of their fair wages is wrong.

Warezing huge multimillion dollar/credit/pound/euro/who cares.. businesses....well that depends.
Uplink help: Read the FAQ
bionic sheep
level3
level3

Postby bionic sheep » Sun Dec 01, 2002 8:23 pm

But with the multi million companies, someone is still losing their wages surely?

Difficult.
http://www.weebl.jolt.co.uk/pie.htm Mmmm . . . pie . . .  When come back, bring pie!
The GoldFish
level5
level5

Postby The GoldFish » Sun Dec 01, 2002 8:39 pm

AbandonWare: Yes

AnyOtherWare: No

Downloading Music?: Listen to the radio, and buy the bits you like ;)
-- The GoldFish - member of former GIT and commander in chief of GALLAHAD. You could have done something, but it's been fixed. The end. Also, play bestgameever!
merlin
level1
level1

Postby merlin » Thu Dec 05, 2002 12:48 pm

i have mixed opinions, similar to what other people have put. as with everything i buy (games, cds, videos, etc) its nice to make sure that you like it before you buy it. so i think its ok to warez stuff IF you itend to shell out for the full product if you like. i admit i do similar things, uplink included. i found the demo wasnt quite long enough to warrant £20 so i borrowed it from a mate, enjoyed it then payed. i see that sort of thing as ok.

then there is thing like windows and office apps. they cost a fortune!!! and if your only paying for a licence to use the thing. that means that if you lose your cd and need to reinstall, m$ should send a cd for the cost of a blank cd +p&p. but do they? no. you have to pay another £200+ for the product again. people that rip you off for thing like that desrved to be wared. £20 i can spare, £200? thats another matter. i reckon they should charge companies, but have it free for personal use, like avg 6, and alot of firewalls.

then there are things like abandon ware (old games that are no longer copyrighted) and generall old games that you had on your amiga that people still charge for. do you really think that somebodies going to pay more than £5 for the original duke nukem (2d side scrolling) and such? apoge charge $20 (around £15 now). hmmm, a slight rip off, me thinks.

my personal opinion, i dont expect anyone else to agree.
·(¯`·._.·[·:MerLin:·]·._.·´¯)·

Return to “General”