the real progs

Anything and Everything about Uplink

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, Chris, Icepick, Rkiver

Viperius
level0

Postby Viperius » Fri Nov 29, 2002 8:26 pm

Is there a real password cracker like in uplink?
AnthonyS
level5
level5

Postby AnthonyS » Fri Nov 29, 2002 8:36 pm

For Zips,Rars,Telnet,paswd files and SAM files, YES!
For Web sites, Keep dreaming :)
ARC destroyer
level3
level3

Postby ARC destroyer » Fri Nov 29, 2002 8:55 pm

I know a web site but i dont want to tell you it
keep your computer locked up or its gonna be broken.
visit my forum: www.fightforinfo.tk
waldaberz
level4
level4

Postby waldaberz » Fri Nov 29, 2002 9:08 pm

A website with what... a password cracker?
"The first non-admin profile added was that of waldaberz only minutes after the site went up.
He was also the first to edit his profile only moments later." -  Uplink Directory :)
Chad Mulligan
level2
level2

Postby Chad Mulligan » Fri Nov 29, 2002 9:27 pm

Um... to "crack" a password, you can't do it one letter at a time Hollywood-style.

Ex.  Many Unix systems use password systems based on one-way hashes, which are designed to be impossible to algorithmically invert.  The principal ways to attack them are --

1.  Con the user into giving his password (social engineering).

2.  Intercept the password when it's either stored or transmitted in weak/no crypto, e.g. if somebody's careless enough to send it on standard no-encryption Telnet, especially if it's broadcast because your network is non-switched Ethernet.  Hellooooo, promiscuous mode.  Physical security also matters, e.g. keyboard bugs or a user who lets you watch him type it in...

3.  Torture/intimidate the user, a.k.a. "rubber-hose cryptography".  People who piss off thugs and dictatorships are most at risk of this one.

4.  Exploit bugs in a badly designed or implemented system.

5.  Brute-force, by trying possible passwords until the function reports a match.  This will NOT work one character at a time, because these functions don't work that way, and will be incredibly obvious to a system administrator or any sort of security-monitoring daemon because it entails trying a truly ludicrous number of login attempts.

While some old systems provided the file of password hashes, so you could obtain that list and try matching against that instead of logging in, any admin that's been awake over the past... well, more than a decade, will be using shadowed passwords so you can't get the hashes.  Ergo, you won't be able to test for matches without trying to log in.  Oops.
"I tell you three times..."
SSHack
level4
level4

Postby SSHack » Fri Nov 29, 2002 10:17 pm

I belive you are correct.
"I am a hacker, and this is my manifesto. You may stop this individual, but you can't stop us all... After all, we're all alike." ----Awards:---- ||Grow Up! by Deepsmeg ||Qu
ARC destroyer
level3
level3

Postby ARC destroyer » Sat Nov 30, 2002 1:32 pm

The website has a cracker,trojan,virus and some other stuff

Crackdown2001
level2
level2

Postby Crackdown2001 » Sat Nov 30, 2002 2:36 pm

oh, well congrats. You managed to find one of about a hundred websites that have viruses and trojans for download.

The thing is ur probably such a newb u think that the trojan clients aren't infected. I do hopeu know that ur not safe running any of those unless u actually check the code urself to make sure it's not gonna infect u with the very thing ur trying to use.

And Chad Mulligan was correct - u can't crack a website password without making it entirely obvious what you are trying to do... at which point the account you are cracking will be disabled. oh dear.

now go to sleep ARC destroyer... that's right... skip, skip, skip away...
I know a sig that'll get on your nerves, get on your nerves, get on your nerves...
Sennover
level1
level1

Postby Sennover » Sat Nov 30, 2002 5:31 pm

Well, my computer is filled with viruses, literaly, only those are not-ready-to-use viruses like you can download on some lame net pages, but allready-been-used-on-me viruses. In other words: I've been infested.

But for some reasons I managed to stabalise my computer in a way that I even don't dare using an antivirus, not knowing what it would do.

It's kinda of the "Mr. Burns Syndrom". All those virsuses just try to push themselves through the door to destroy my PC, but can't because they are so many they jam the entrance, but one fals move and WHAM !!!!!!!

Well, maybe not like that. But at least I have managed to learn to live with the viruses in  a peacfull way. My PC is my peacfull guarden of venom plants.

Actually I don't have the slitghtest idea of how it works, so I jsut leave my system alone. Until it crashes.....
- Don't mind me, I'm just a sweeper.
Curiosity
level5
level5

Postby Curiosity » Sat Nov 30, 2002 5:32 pm

Sounds like you should try some sorta virus scanner/detector.

Can't be good to have the buggers hanging around. :)

(Edited by Curiosity at 4:45 pm on Nov. 30, 2002)
ARC destroyer
level3
level3

Postby ARC destroyer » Sat Nov 30, 2002 9:53 pm

I never said i downloaded anything so i will go and skip away from you

Return to “General”