Mandrake Question

Anything and Everything about Uplink

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, Chris, Icepick, Rkiver

TheSage
level2
level2

Postby TheSage » Sat Oct 26, 2002 5:43 pm

Hey, I have a question.

In Mandrake 9.0 I kneed help setting it up for use with my cable modem.

I have all of the goodies (i.e. subnet mask, dns, ip, etc) and I even bought an ethernet card for the occasion.

So, how would I imput all of the IP addresses into Mandrake?

If your answer is ifconfig then please include the syntax of it because I can't find it.

Thanks all in advance.

omegaphlux@Hotmail.com

Later,
Zach
Homophobics are gay.
jordan
level4
level4

Postby jordan » Sat Oct 26, 2002 6:52 pm

am i stupid, or is this omega phlux, and i just realized it 5 months later than everybody else?  or is it not, and i am even more stupid?
ToRmEnToR
level5
level5

Postby ToRmEnToR » Sat Oct 26, 2002 8:04 pm

you should realy ask lattera about this... he is the only one here that understands networks well..
meow
Stewsburntmonkey
level5
level5

Postby Stewsburntmonkey » Sat Oct 26, 2002 8:23 pm

I found Mandrake 9.0 does a nice job autodetecting these settings.  I am on a massive school network, with the works, and it autodetected fine, better than XP did and thats something.  Have you tried the autodetect?  If that doesn't work then what is your networks architecture, ie how is it connected and setup?  :)
Chad Mulligan
level2
level2

Postby Chad Mulligan » Sat Oct 26, 2002 8:31 pm

You need both 'ifconfig' and 'route', and also you need to edit /etc/resolv.conf.  Use 'ifconfig' to bring up the NIC, give it a netmask, and an address.  Then, 'route' gets used to build the routing table -- e.g. specifying the gateway.  Finally, the IP addresses of nameservers servers go in /etc/resolv.conf.

All of this is covered in the man pages and the Network Administrator's Guide (from the Linux Documentation Project), plus, presumably, the Mandrake manuals.
"I tell you three times..."
Talesin
level4
level4

Postby Talesin » Sun Oct 27, 2002 7:41 am

Best ways to find out how to do ANYTHING on Linux.
 1) Googlesearch for 'Linux <something> HOWTO'. (In this case, 'Linux cable modem HOWTO')
 2) Googlesearch Linux-related forums. Use 'linux', nouns relating to your specific problem, the manufacturer, product ID name (my NIC is a NetGear Etherfast 310TX.. labelled 'Netgear Etherfast' on the box. LOOK AT THE COMPONENT.), and FCC ID number if everything else fails to get the general name of the product.. which you can then search for again.
 3) IRC. DALnet and Nightstar have #linuxhelp channels for just such a reason. People in there will at least point you to the documentation you need to solve your problem, if not step you through it.

Now, for the fix.
Alternately it can likely all be auto-configured by simply starting the 'dhcpcd' client daemon (that's on Slack, not sure about MDK) and letting it configure everything for you through DHCP, if it's offered by your ISP. Alternately, MDK includes countless wizards to set up those kinds of things. I believe 'netconfig' is one of the more common.
If not, you'll need to edit your startup scripts to automatically bring up the NIC attached to the CM as one of your assigned IPs with the proper netmask, then set a 'route add default gw <extra stuff here, refer to 'man route' for info>' to toss all non-local data through it. Then start your IPMasq services if you're offering them to the rest of your LAN. (Search for 'Linux IP Masq HOWTO' if you don't know how to do this one)

I haven't seen or experienced it, but there are reports of PPPoE or PPPoA cable modems from here and there.. likely you won't need it, but PPPoE modules/drivers are located on the Roaring Penguin website, available via Google. (RP-PPPoE is one of the most oft-used driver daemons to make ADSL modems work.. most ISPs seem to be going over to it, instead of standard service. Thankfully most aren't psychotic enough to try and force their customers to PPPoA)
TheSage
level2
level2

Postby TheSage » Sun Oct 27, 2002 6:02 pm

I have to setup my eathernet card before I do anything of what you guys said.

Thanks.

Zach
Homophobics are gay.

Return to “General”