level2

Postby sysrq » Sun Dec 01, 2002 8:47 pm

heh most likely he just copied and pasted from a website hence the html tags
DEATH TO DUCKS!!!
Chad Mulligan
level2
level2

Postby Chad Mulligan » Sun Dec 01, 2002 9:52 pm

Nah, I just forgot that this is Ikonboard.  I've been posting to Fark way too much lately.
"I tell you three times..."
merlin
level1
level1

Postby merlin » Mon Dec 02, 2002 2:48 pm

im having the same problem. i need th open gl libraries for redhat 8. im in the process of a complete windows boycotte as it really p*ss*s me off the way id have to pay £300 for win xp, which gives me the flexibilty of a psyco in a straight jacket, or i can download linux for free, and get a better, faster and more powerfull os.

if anyone wants linux, go to www.fuckmicrosoft.com for a list of distros. d0wnloading distros will take forever over a 56k modem, so dont even consider unless you have broadband. youll also need a cd writer.

anyone know where to get open gl for linux?
·(¯`·._.·[·:MerLin:·]·._.·´¯)·
merlin
level1
level1

Postby merlin » Mon Dec 02, 2002 3:41 pm

cheers for the rpmfind.net link. i reckon its got what i was looking for. ill tell you tomoz
sysrq
level2
level2

Postby sysrq » Mon Dec 02, 2002 6:23 pm

if you have 56k you could get a friend to download and burn it, or you can buy boxed sets of most distros in computer stores, as well as most distros have online ordering for boxed sets. OpenGL shouldnt be to hard to setup im suprised rh8 doesnt have support built in. Usually its not openGL you need its properly setup drivers for your video, if you have a nvidia card your lucky thier drivers are rather easy to setup and alot of distros have them built in (eve latest FreeBSD). Before you go off playing with openGL try compiling the latest drivers for your vid card.
DEATH TO DUCKS!!!
Ph33ker
level1
level1

Postby Ph33ker » Tue Dec 03, 2002 6:10 am

Mandrake Linux was my frist unix based OS... It is easy to setup...

www.mandrake.com

They offer a free download... Load to a cd-r and install the sucker.. You can partition your Hard-Drive and then BAM! Linux Action!
Increase the Peace
Sobek
level3
level3

Postby Sobek » Tue Dec 03, 2002 8:22 am

Debian is rather difficult to setup, but well worth it once it's there.
The Debian Package System is THE most compatible.  It can recognize RPMs -- Redhat/Most other distros Pakages -- and DEBs -- Debian/Debian based system Packages and use both.  If I am wrong please correct me, but The Redhat Package Manager can't use DEBs.  I greatly prefer Debian over the other distros; if you want an "easer Debian" you can also get Storm.  Storm is a distro based on Debian, but with a much less complex installer.
Humans are stupid... Evolve.
sysrq
level2
level2

Postby sysrq » Tue Dec 03, 2002 4:17 pm

*shrug* nice thing about debian is apt-get but they have ports of apt-get for rpms's on other distros. I still prefer FreeBSD and OpenBSD over most linux distros especially since now fbsd ships with nvidia drivers.
DEATH TO DUCKS!!!
merlin
level1
level1

Postby merlin » Wed Dec 04, 2002 11:35 am

downloaded the open gl rpm, and it sort of starts up now. just crashes, so ive downloaded the fix from this site for it. any one know if the patches from windows work? i wouldnt have thought they would, but it would be nice to have a bit more features that the patches offer.
Sobek
level3
level3

Postby Sobek » Thu Dec 05, 2002 9:48 am

You have to get the Linux patches for Linux, the Windows patches are for Windows, that's why there are Linux patches.
Humans are stupid... Evolve.
merlin
level1
level1

Postby merlin » Thu Dec 05, 2002 11:41 am

thats what i assumed. how do you get the rh8 patch to work.its coming up with 'connot execute binaries'.

Return to “General”