Why most people here suck

Anything and Everything about Uplink

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, Chris, Icepick, Rkiver

Stewsburntmonkey
level5
level5

Postby Stewsburntmonkey » Wed Aug 07, 2002 6:55 pm

Judaism really never had its day in sun, it has always been overshadowed by other faiths.  Evolution can and has been supported "beyond a reasonable doubt".  I would be more than happy to 'splain it to anyone, but it is a rather long a dull 'splaining so . . .  Nothing in science is ever truly proven, as scientists are generally not foolish enough to assert they have perfect knowledge of anything.  But I have found it of little use to argue with Creationists as I have never found one who would discuss the issue concretely.  O' well on to other ventures. . . :)

<edit>Doom: Yes, but who says Uplink players have to be shallow. :)

(Edited by Stewsburntmonkey at 12:57 pm on Aug. 7, 2002)
Dead
level1
level1

Postby Dead » Wed Aug 07, 2002 6:57 pm

Yes, still an Uplink board, but the "General" section of said board. From my time here, and looking back at threads before my time, I must say this is the most fun thread to read. The views presented here just get you thinking, and thinking is always good.
Rank of Zombie Bumper. Issued by MarcusHess2.
I look at the world, and I notice its turning, while my guitar gently weeps. -George Harrison - While my guitar gently weeps
Talesin
level4
level4

Postby Talesin » Wed Aug 07, 2002 7:01 pm

Thinking is good, but over-thinking starts to make you paranoid. See relations in things, even if they're imaginary and you laugh at them later, if you even remember the 'realization'. Or you end up getting depressed if you analyze others' behaviour around you... loads of fun to do when you're right and can call them on things that you've reasoned through, and good for a laugh when you're wrong and can mend things up over a pizza or some champagne (or sparkling white wine, if you can't afford the actual latter).
Death
level1
level1

Postby Death » Wed Aug 07, 2002 7:02 pm

*****Quote: from Talesin on 6:38 pm on Aug. 7, 2002[br]Regarding Death's comments. So... we're back to the 'might makes right' argument? There's a little problem with that, you see. Most religions do have their day in the sun, then wane and mellow. Right now, Christianity is at the point Judaism was about a thousand years back. And Islam is at the point where Christianity was about a thousand years back (See world trade centers/jihad versus the Crusades). Not quite sure where Buddhism fits in, but it's got a running start on all of 'em. Hopefully in about five thousand years, if there are any x-tians left (hey, it's used in 'xmas' after all) they'll be as relaxed and peace-loving as the monks tend to be now. When's the last time you had a Buddhist come up and stick a tract in your face? Or judge you, based on anything other than the amount of love in your heart and serenity in your soul? I've not had /one/. As opposed to numerous pastors dedicated to 'intervene' in my 'devil-worshipping ways'. Which was quite a shock when I finally got it through their skulls that I don't believe in the xtian god, nor devil. Which jumped them into thinking I was an atheist... so much fun, so many days wasted when I could have been doing something more productive or enjoyable. Like watching paint dry, and waiting for it to peel.

I'm just interjecting another side into this otherwise "wow u hate x-tians too?? patpat" bullshit.  

The reality is, Wiccanism is an extremely weak religion, with zero historical accuracy.  Like I said, someone took the Unitarian Church and said "hey let's do this, but be pagans!".  Or vice versa.  Basically, it's something people can say they belong to without actually having to have any principles or beliefs whatsoever.  Like Shinto [which I have nothing against, but it does provide a good example].

And if the Theory of Evolution is that highly contested, I challenge you to prove the Theory of Creation. Sorry, can't dodge out on this one with 'it has to be taken on faith'. That's just an excuse. Until some evidence is shown (and not the statistical 'you think all this got here on its own?' approach), NEITHER side can be proven.

Exactly.  So the evolutionists can shut the hell up until they've got a time machine.  I don't support teaching creationism in schools either.  How the world came to be is irrelevant.  Teach kids how it works, let their parents tell them the origin story.

Hmm. Do you have any kind of qualifications to be speaking on the subject of multilingual blending? I'd like to know, if so. But if I've spent four years learning the language, and you haven't any, or a quick conversational class, I'd prefer if you either shut your pie hole, or spend however many years learning it, whereupon I might take your opinion on the subject with some degree of weight.

Tsk tsk.  You have no qualifications on "blending" either, and yet you do it.  I'm merely pointing out the fact that you are making a moron of yourself.  Taking a few Japanese classes does not in anyway make you an authority on the subject.

kimi wa bakatare da! kutabacchimae! dekakete yo! kisho no yakunatama ni nekokami no bakuhatsu o sunde kudasai. utsumutte.

Wow. You really kicked my ass with that.  Go read 2ch.net and maybe you'll learn to actually insult someone in Japanese.

And though I enjoy manga to some degree, and a few select anime, I am by no means an otaku (anime fanboy/girl/thing, slang brought to popularity by the otaku themselves after having been applied by numerous mangaya owners).

Thanks, I know what an otaku is.  It's quite a bit of a slur in Japan.  Of course, they are a little bit more extreme in their fandom, but it always pisses me off to see people running around saying "i'm en otaku~~~!!!1 ^___^" without knowing a godfucked thing.
Death
level1
level1

Postby Death » Wed Aug 07, 2002 7:08 pm

Quote: from Stewsburntmonkey on 5:59 pm on Aug. 7, 2002[br]The Theory of Evolution is not that controversial.  You may provide some reasons as to why you don't recognise it, but so far you have given no justification of your opposition.  Also a Law is a mathematical expression of relationship.  
Law of Gravity: F=G(m1m2)/(d^2)
The Theory is the pure science behind this which explains and predicts the phenomenon.  I doubt there will ever be a Law of Evolution as no mathematics are envolved it the Theory.  You can never prove a Theory only support it.  

Well, let's see - again, there's no solid evidence for evolution.  I'm not going to go into the counter arguements, because I've done it hundreds of times before, and it always ends up with the same endless spiral of "oh yeah but what if...".  Let's just say there is PLENTY of reasonable doubt.  I mean, even common sense can tell you that it's highly doubtful man came from a rock.

Theory is not pure science.  It is speculation.  Only when a theory is confirmed is it accepted by the scientific community, EXCEPT in the case of evolution (which constantly changes it's own basis, as it becomes more and more obvious that life did not evolve on this planet).

Why is this?  I don't know.  Don't really care about the whole issue, and I wouldn't mention it except that they keep putting it in school text books as fact.
Stewsburntmonkey
level5
level5

Postby Stewsburntmonkey » Wed Aug 07, 2002 7:09 pm

Quote: from Death on 1:02 pm on Aug. 7, 2002[br]
Exactly.  So the evolutionists can shut the hell up until they've got a time machine.  I don't support teaching creationism in schools either.  How the world came to be is irrelevant.  Teach kids how it works, let their parents tell them the origin story.

This is exactly what evolution does, it shows how the world works and leaves the creation to, ummm. . . , Creationist.  :)

I have never heard the arguement that man came from rock, no hold on wasn't that in the Bible. :)  I would just point out that the races of man, a great deal of archeological evidence, and common sense all support evolution.  I can think of nothing which supports strict Creationism.  

I think if you would read more of those text books you might actually understand Scientific Theory.  Then you wouldn't have to be repeatedly told. :(

(Edited by Stewsburntmonkey at 1:21 pm on Aug. 7, 2002)
Talesin
level4
level4

Postby Talesin » Wed Aug 07, 2002 7:25 pm

Not a slur to the otaku. They actually see it more as a compliment. Just a slur to those who aren't.

And if you read the insults (and understand them) you'd see that they're quite grammatically correct, from progression to structure to conjugations. Without referring to a cheat-sheet webpage teaching you to say things like 'anata wa okamappoi!'

I'd honestly prefer kids to be taught how the world works now and be allowed to decide how it came to be on their own, instead of being conditioned by their parents (pastor, rabbi, lead, clear, whatever) to go in for whatever trite lies comfort them.

Oh, and far from being 'weak', wiccanism has a *far* more established history, as do _most_ 'pagan' religions. And far fewer incidences of people like 'Reverend' Fred Phelps... hiding away in an inbred family compound, slinging hate out at others for small-minded bigots to feed on and training their offspring into lawyers to defend their hate.
Death
level1
level1

Postby Death » Wed Aug 07, 2002 7:34 pm

Yes, very good.

Sokka, mainichi juku kayotte yatto chugakko nyugaku dekitanka.  honto ni yokatta ne, chimi!  

This is exactly what evolution does, it shows how the world works and leaves the creation to, ummm. . . , Creationist.  

Physics. Chemistry. Biology.  These show how the world works.  None of them say that man came from a rock.

And yes - that's the premise of evolution.  That a meteor (from where? no explanation!) with some bio-organic compounds hit earth, and as this asteroid eventually melted, well, HELLO ANCESTORS.

Not a slur to the otaku. They actually see it more as a compliment. Just a slur to those who aren't.

EDIT: Well, I'll explain it after all: it's much like calling someone who speaks English a "geeky fuck".  I guess you can take it as a compliment if you want.

I'd honestly prefer kids to be taught how the world works now and be allowed to decide how it came to be on their own, instead of being conditioned by their parents (pastor, rabbi, lead, clear, whatever) to go in for whatever trite lies comfort them.

Or they could grow to 18 and make their own decisions, ever think of that?  Jesus, it's not like they are going to be locked into thinking whatever they were taught the first 18 years.  People have a free will unless they willingly subvert it to someone else.

Oh, and far from being 'weak', wiccanism has a *far* more established history, as do _most_ 'pagan' religions.

Ah, yes, the famous work of pagan literature...the...hmm...ah, yeah, that's right.  When the Irish monks were copying manuscripts, the pagans were burning farms.

(Edited by Death at 7:39 pm on Aug. 7, 2002)
WootWoot
level1
level1

Postby WootWoot » Wed Aug 07, 2002 7:43 pm

wow, and nobodys taken any hits on my relgion yet?
LEGO Torture: the museum of death       Open your butt, close your eyes and you will get a big surprise
The GoldFish
level5
level5

Postby The GoldFish » Wed Aug 07, 2002 7:45 pm

What THE FUCK, death?

You are commenting on something you have just proven you know very little about. No where have I read that evolution rides PURELY on the fact any meteor hit earth, after all where's the crater? THAT IS CRAP YOU FOOL!

Biology covers evolution, it was part of my GCSE syllabus, or at least, to some extent.

edit - thats the first time iv really sworn... well done Death :)

(Edited by The GoldFish at 7:45 pm on Aug. 7, 2002)
-- The GoldFish - member of former GIT and commander in chief of GALLAHAD. You could have done something, but it's been fixed. The end. Also, play bestgameever!
Omega Phlux
level3
level3

Postby Omega Phlux » Wed Aug 07, 2002 7:59 pm

This is my response to the responses about religion and insulting me.

Quote: from Jabberwocky on 8:02 am on Aug. 7, 2002[br]You know, Death, I've found that a lot of religious people I've met have been some of the most morally depraved people I've ever met as well. But for different reasons.

For me, the kind of depravation that I see and which disgusts me, is the people who go to church, say the words, and then I see them Monday afternoon at the Amaco threatening to beat their kids when they get home.

Those people qualify as morally depraved for me. And those are the religious people I see the most of.

I totally agree with you Jabberwocky.

Quote: from Death on 7:38 am on Aug. 7, 2002[br]Being a Roman Catholic myself, I'm not into converting people.  You can go to hell for all I care.

However, I love making fun of idiots.  

Fact: Evolution is a religion, just as much as anything else.  Believe in it all you fucking want, but don't try to tell us you don't worship a god of your own.

What god, you stutter? The god of self.  Evolution simply provides an excuse for following your own moral whimsy.  The fact that it is taught in textbooks is intellectually insulting.  It is a theory without a proven basis.  

Fact: Today's paganism is a lukewarm rehash of Unitaranism [sic].  This one is my favorite.  The origin, true beliefs,  and history of Wiccanism and other popular religions are LONG gone.  Pagans will whine about how Christianity is outdated, but insist on following a religion that doesn't even have a written history, and is so old that all of it's true purpose has been completely lost!  Each little pagan makes their own rules, and most of them are extremely uneducated about their own "religion".

I've read literally thousands of pages of occult literature (by which I mean the various manuals for rituals and discussion of belief for Wicca, Necromancy, Order of the Golden Dawn, and too many more to list here) and talked to dozens of pagans, "witches", and so forth.  Wiccanism is easily the most ridiculed, weakly based, and downright dumbest religion on the planet.  It's the new opiate for the masses.

In conclusion, I'd like to say purely from personal experience, that both pagans and athiests have been, again purely from my personal experience, the most morally corrupt and depraved people I have ever met.  Drugs? Drinking? Violence? Irresponsibility? You betcha.

Not saying Christians will ever be perfect, but the pagans I've met have far outmatched my humble attempts at leading a drunken, worthless life.

1. I don't drink or do drugs accept the occasional Claritin-B which ROCKS!!!
2. Evolution is not a religion. It is the anti-religios way of thinking.
3. I know all about how Pegans and Anarchy go hand in hand. But the true pegans are the ones that sacrafice animals and wear confederate flags as shirts. That is why most of them are bus drivers.
4. The ethopieans don't have a written history of their religion. Does that mean that it dosen't exist because they tell stories about the "good old days"?

Quote: from Jabberwocky on 7:19 am on Aug. 7, 2002[br]Calling Icepick a script kiddie is doing a disservice to the legions of script kiddies that test my software to make sure its up to date : "No openSSH 3.4p1! Got root? We do!"
;)

(Edited by Jabberwocky at 3:20 pm on Aug. 7, 2002)

I did not call Icepick a script kiddie, if you read it right I was making a point that Icepick does want sometimes for us to all think alike, and he gets his point across buy calling people script kiddies at times.

Quote: from Stewsburntmonkey on 7:04 am on Aug. 7, 2002[br]
Quote: from Omega Phlux on 10:39 pm on Aug. 6, 2002[br]So I ask you, why? Why am I the target of such segregation? It is because I'm 14? Mozart wrote his first symphony at 5, was he shunned because he was young? No, his ideas were welcome with open arms. Is the reason that every one hates me because I hold different beliefes then the norm? Do you hate me because I am diverse in my thinking and in my logic?

This kind of talk certainly doesn't help you.  It is people coming on these forum talking about stuff they don't know with authority that causes a lot of the trouble.  Mozart was not in fact received with open arms, but to compare yourself with Mozart is going a bit too far I think.  I have no problem with you, and I think the forums are rather flame prone, but taking up arms against it only increases the tension.  I have noticed that in almost all your posts you bring up Nentash.  It is alway you who throws the first punch.  I have yet to see him say anything about you not in direct response to your invocation of him his name.  I am sorry about your fathers illness, and am glad you enjoy computers at your age, but you have to take responsablity for your actions here like everyones else.  I have had several nice debates with people here and have never taken a flame for my ideas or opinions.  It is all in the attitude in which they are delivered. :)
*steps off soapbox *

<edit> It's C'est la vie

(Edited by Stewsburntmonkey at 9:24 am on Aug. 7, 2002)

1. I compared myself to mozart becaue he was the only child prodigy so well known that I could think of at the time
2. I only bring up Nentash because (I think) he threw the first punch. I am just fighting back or else he would call me a pussy
3. No one here takes responsibulity for their actions. Nentash, I thank you for your inspiring message and not putting the F-word on our forums like so many have before U.
4. So what if I get my point across by making people think about changing theirs? The world has many problems and the trashieness of this forum is only one of many that need fixing.
5. Computers rock, and it is funny to go into computer shops and fix most of the "broken" computers that people pay $500 to be fixed that I can fix in about 10 minuits.

Quote: from Icepick on 3:09 am on Aug. 7, 2002[br]Right now im not gonna pretend I read all of that, because i didnt, but i would like to say a few things.

"Or Icepick with "You god damn script kiddie, why can't you think like every one else here?"."

Tell me EXACTLY when i said anything even remotely resmbling that POS statement? You are making things up to make yourself feel better, and to get a little sympathy.

Did anyon like my part about Nentash raping virgins? That took me a bit to think of, but it does sound like something that he would say.

I find it quite interesting that you keep bringing this up. Nentash has never done anything to You Omega, the only reason you dislike him is because he is about the only person here who calls you on all of your contest nonsence. You are simply trying to draw attention to youself and get everyone else to hate him just because you dont like that what he says is normally right.

This whole thing seems like a desperate cry for attention, and I would agree with Talesin's original interpirtation, you seem to have a somewhat dominant persicution complex.

It is just like I always dreamed of: A place where only the people who have been here for more than a year are welcome. A place where you have to follow the croud or be banned. A place were free speach and free expression are just as easily taken away as you exhailing.

This forum has bearly established for a year, and certainly most people here (perhaps one) have been here that long. This whole thing about trying to remove free speach seems to be nothing more than you complaining that people disagree with your spamming (and yes, you do spam, whether you admit it or not)

I suppose i better stop there.

EDIT: ARGH, stupid nonworking quote tags :/

(Edited by Icepick at 11:13 am on Aug. 7, 2002)

(Edited by Icepick at 11:13 am on Aug. 7, 2002)

(Edited by Icepick at 11:35 am on Aug. 7, 2002)

(Edited by Icepick at 11:36 am on Aug. 7, 2002)

1. You do accosionall give off that vibe that you want everyone to think the same
2. If Nentash has never done anything to me, than why would I hate him so. All he does is tells me that I'm a jerk. Nentash, if you can read this, show me where I pissed you off and I'll call a truce.
3. I thought that the "a place where" kinda did sound like here. Spam by defenition is a extremly fatty product. But in computers, it is to gain the attention of a large number of people to further yourself in finincial gain.

Quote: from Deepsmeg on 1:06 am on Aug. 7, 2002[br]I saw this. 10 pages! started this morning. instantly got my attention.OP: If you try and be more likeable, you will be liked more.
I also have had a crap year.Don't tryto explain being picked on like that...

I would rather say what I want when I want than fit in with the croud

From: The GoldFish on 11:45 am on Aug. 7, 2002[br]What THE FUCK, death?

You are commenting on something you have just proven you know very little about. No where have I read that evolution rides PURELY on the fact any meteor hit earth, after all where's the crater? THAT IS CRAP YOU FOOL!

Biology covers evolution, it was part of my GCSE syllabus, or at least, to some extent.

edit - thats the first time iv really sworn... well done Death  

(Edited by The GoldFish at 7:45 pm on Aug. 7, 2002)

Finally someone stands up for me.

They did find evidence to say that the metoir made the gulf of mexico.

more to come once I read through all of it
Only the true hacker can see beyond all of the glamor that comes with hacking  to see why we kneed to knee Mathew Lilliard in the movie "HACKERS" square in the nuts.
Omega Phlux
level3
level3

Postby Omega Phlux » Wed Aug 07, 2002 8:06 pm

No matter what anyone say, religion can not be proved nor disproved.

But it seems like there are more facts aginst it than there that support it.

If a god chose to post on this forum, I wouldn't change my religion, because I'm not afraid to die.

Most people become religious because they want their life to mean something. I am perfectly content knowing that I didn't live one day of my life in fear.

If you want to help me with my wargame, you would be the only one to know what I'm going 2 do. Anyone who wants to help can just mail me.
Only the true hacker can see beyond all of the glamor that comes with hacking  to see why we kneed to knee Mathew Lilliard in the movie "HACKERS" square in the nuts.
Stewsburntmonkey
level5
level5

Postby Stewsburntmonkey » Wed Aug 07, 2002 8:11 pm

Although the meteor that they think may have created the Gulf of Mexico is believed to be the one that took out the Dinosaurs not one that introduced life.  As for the creation, that is still a very much open debate.  There is no concensus in the scientific community over how the first life form(s) was created.  Evolution is the idea that as time goes on species change to fit their environment, etc.  It does not deal with the formation of life.  Many people, especially Creationists, conflate the two, they are seperate subjects.  
Omega Phlux
level3
level3

Postby Omega Phlux » Wed Aug 07, 2002 8:12 pm

This is my most succesful topic.

Nentash, show me what I said to make you mad at me, or where you first insulted me to make me mad at you.

Chris, if you see this, please post. We kneed everyones insight here.
HackZombee
level2
level2

Postby HackZombee » Wed Aug 07, 2002 8:12 pm

well, im back, and wow, 5 pages while i slept.  ok, well, thank you talesin, for the word, "xtians", i will use it in the future.  now, back to the religion.

Sonnybobiche: no, i do not feel that my life has no meaning.  it has meaning to a few people, but not in the long run.  i dont think that when i die, the world will come to a screeching halt, and everyone will say, oh my, he died!  i am not delusional about my affect on the world.  i know how insignificant i am.  feel free to respond, and i will too

(Edited by HackZombee at 3:12 pm on Aug. 7, 2002)

(Edited by HackZombee at 3:16 pm on Aug. 7, 2002)
"How could you tell? Was it the hairy bosoms growing out of my back?"go play this.  its fun.  
http://www.seethru.co.uk/zine/south_coast/helicopter_game.htm

Return to “General”