Game programmers and ....

Anything and Everything about Uplink

Moderators: bert_the_turtle, jelco, Chris, Icepick, Rkiver

ReflectingGod
level5
level5

Postby ReflectingGod » Mon Jul 29, 2002 2:22 pm

I know VBasic and some C++, count me in! I think the game should be in C++..... It's a great language after all....

If you are interested in 3d, the Quake3 engine source code will be released next year probably.....
ME!

Procrastination - Hard work often pays of after time, but laziness always pays off now!

**Bibo ergo sum!**
AK47
level2
level2

Postby AK47 » Mon Jul 29, 2002 4:18 pm

Just a thought but why don't we just encourage introversion to get on with Uplink 2 with most of these additions?

Well this game is being produced by the community , we cant contribute to Uplink2 and know little about it.
Introversion are handling Uplink , we are managing our own game ... whatever we do it will not effect the speed in which uplink2 is produced.

Biblin would you like to take up the status of 'lead' programmer?
Is what we require of this game possible to be programmed in delphi? If we can have this programmed in delphi and you wish to be the lead programmer , then lets roll and get some ideas for the 'base' of the game..
31337 H4x0R Fr0m Th4 UK :D
Biblin
level2
level2

Postby Biblin » Mon Jul 29, 2002 4:45 pm

It's certainly possible to do in Delphi (Anything's possible) but would probably require the use of DelphiX (Delphi wrappers for directX - cause trying to use the COM libraries is a bloody nightmare).  

As for lead programmer - I'd say yes except for a few small problems.  One - I work.  Two - I can do systems and engines but graphics programming is not my forte in any way shape or form (so someone else can do it).  Three - I'm going back to university in a month to finish my degree and my time will be somewhat strained.  I'd love to contribute though.  If it ends up being written in C++ I can help with the game design otherwise give me something to program and I'm happy as the proverbial Larry.

(Edited by Biblin at 4:46 pm on July 29, 2002)

(Edited by Biblin at 4:46 pm on July 29, 2002)
Signatures are for idiots.
Biblin
level2
level2

Postby Biblin » Mon Jul 29, 2002 4:47 pm

I really should have previewed that post first.
Omega Phlux
level3
level3

Postby Omega Phlux » Mon Jul 29, 2002 4:50 pm

Since I am now a part of the "The Project", you must have seen the movie.

That minuite or 2 clip took 3 days to do.

Imagine how cool a 4 minuite one would be?!

(Menichal laughter in the backgroung)I've been working on Maya(c), all the live long day. I've been working on Maya(c), just to pass the time away!

Omega Phlux
Only the true hacker can see beyond all of the glamor that comes with hacking  to see why we kneed to knee Mathew Lilliard in the movie "HACKERS" square in the nuts.
lattera
level4
level4

Postby lattera » Mon Jul 29, 2002 4:50 pm

I'd love to help develop this game. I'm VERY efficient in C. I don't know C++ all that well, it would be easy to learn.

I prefer C because, in my opinion, it's more powerful.

We should NOT do it in any Windows only programming languages (Delphi, VB,...) so that we could port it to *nix.
Omega Phlux
level3
level3

Postby Omega Phlux » Mon Jul 29, 2002 4:52 pm

Finally someone who has some common sense.

I will have to make the movie in .mpg because that works on 95% of OSes

Omega Phlux

(Edited by Omega Phlux at 8:52 am on July 29, 2002)
Only the true hacker can see beyond all of the glamor that comes with hacking  to see why we kneed to knee Mathew Lilliard in the movie "HACKERS" square in the nuts.
Biblin
level2
level2

Postby Biblin » Mon Jul 29, 2002 4:55 pm

Delphi written applications can be run on Linux - you just need to compile it with Kylix.
AK47
level2
level2

Postby AK47 » Mon Jul 29, 2002 4:58 pm

Right , make ajustments where you feel the need.
Is C as powerful as Delphi and can we acheive what we need in c? if this will work under c lets do it as most people here know c.
Tell me your thoughts on this :) ,
ak47.
Biblin
level2
level2

Postby Biblin » Mon Jul 29, 2002 5:01 pm

C allows more shortcuts so tends to be faster in practice - handy in graphics heavy games.  Delphi tends to be stabler, less prone to bugs and easier to get what you need done.  Also, Delphi is Object orientated, C isn't C++ fakes it.  For a graphics heavy game like this then probably C++ is the best language for it  (I can't program it but I can always learn), something like uplink on the other hand I would recommend Delphi.  (Actually I'd still recommend delphi but I'm biased).
Omega Phlux
level3
level3

Postby Omega Phlux » Mon Jul 29, 2002 5:02 pm

C isn't as hard to learn as some others suggested.

I just started and have leached through 2 .pdf's already.

It is just like learning HTML.

Once you have read a few source codes, you are a wiz.

Omega Phlux
AK47
level2
level2

Postby AK47 » Mon Jul 29, 2002 5:04 pm

We dont have to program the grpaphics in whatever language the game is programmed in , could we inswert .mpeg 's into the game if it was coded in c?
And intro movie and chracters converted into .mpeg format , is it possible to insert them into the game (e.g the chosen characters image at the top left of the screen).
Biblin
level2
level2

Postby Biblin » Mon Jul 29, 2002 5:04 pm

Actually, I'm going to add a "Don't do this type of game in C" to this thread.  Use an OO Language.
Omega Phlux
level3
level3

Postby Omega Phlux » Mon Jul 29, 2002 5:08 pm

I never thought about making the caracters in .mpeg be4.

I have Adobe Photoshop Pro 7.0, so I could make the actuall blue prints of them.

Omega Phlux

p.s.I have alot of software that can practically do anything with 3 firewalls and 4 anti-virii protecting that data on my pc. Any other programs are stored on 3 zip disks, 12 disks, or 2 double sided DVD's.
AK47
level2
level2

Postby AK47 » Mon Jul 29, 2002 5:11 pm

The Graphics man is well on the ball , someone assure me of what language this is going to be programmed in.
Do we have an intro movie complete yet?
(im eager to look :) ).

Return to “General”