Windows XP

Anything and Everything about Uplink

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, Chris, Icepick, Rkiver

DJ_Velocity
level4
level4

Postby DJ_Velocity » Thu Jul 25, 2002 1:15 am

Yea, u hear that Sonny!!!Also, Hewlett Packard told me that XP Pro is for running off servers!!!So y dont u just **** off cause nobody cares what you think

- Player20030
Death only comes to bad people so... when you see em, knee em in the balls and run like hell
Jabberwocky
level3
level3

Postby Jabberwocky » Thu Jul 25, 2002 1:29 am

I come back and what do I see...

This...?

Microsoft does not yet make a server build of XP for public release and if they do I haven't seen it. 2K Pro was designed for desktop use, I should know because we have about 40 users running XP Pro at work on their desktops.

Oddly enough the servers run 2K Server, Advanced Server, and the PDC and BDCs run NT 4 SP 6.

XP Home is a neutered version of XP made just so they could justify the higher price on Pro. You can't join a domain, you can't VPN, and you can't edit some network settings.

XP Pro is not supposed to run on servers. I know it supports dual processors, I'm not sure about quad.

HP is a bunch of fucking morons too. Except the DEC guys. Go Alpha! But the guys who support (or used to support) our Proliant servers were real asses.

So please, Player, shove it and shove off with this attitude thing. If the state of these boards is such that people like you are now pillars of the community it makes me kind of sad I visited.
There is always free cheese in a mousetrap.
Deepsmeg
level5
level5

Postby Deepsmeg » Thu Jul 25, 2002 1:35 am

And, here's Jabber's brilliant attitude...
XP Server isn't out, sop if you want an entirely XP network, you're stuck with XP Pro on the server, hence the server is using XP Pro... If that makes sense.........
Jabberwocky
level3
level3

Postby Jabberwocky » Thu Jul 25, 2002 1:38 am

What the fuck? "XP Network"?

XP is 2K. It uses Active Directory, and until Microsoft comes out with another advancement into group management and policy stuff, probably built around DRM if Palladium ever takes off, thats the way it stays.

2K Server and Advanced Server already tow the line for MS server products. Using XP Pro as a server is a damnfool thing and just stupid. There's no reason to do it and I think you're even forbidden from doing it in the EULA.
DJ_Velocity
level4
level4

Postby DJ_Velocity » Thu Jul 25, 2002 9:49 am

Yes, but it also uses NCTI or whatever its called.Not FAT32.This makes it faster which I dont think 2K uses (unless Im mistaken) so XP Pro is fast, but not nearly as fast as home.Home was made for the gamer, the indipendent movie maker, not the accountant.Think about it

- Player20030
Death only comes to bad people so... when you see em, knee em in the balls and run like hell
Clinical
level1
level1

Postby Clinical » Thu Jul 25, 2002 10:00 am

I need to shit.

SHIT WITH RAGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1111
Would you like to play a game?
How about a nice game of chess?
Deepsmeg
level5
level5

Postby Deepsmeg » Thu Jul 25, 2002 10:42 am

All version of NT from 4 use NTFS.
Jabberwocky, what I meant by XP Network was a network of systems only using Win XP. For whatever reason... Maybe inept technicians?...

Edit: I know 3.51 used HPFS and NT 4 stop using it... When did NTFS come into play? I guessed at 4..

(Edited by Deepsmeg at 10:44 am on July 25, 2002)
Sobek
level3
level3

Postby Sobek » Thu Jul 25, 2002 11:47 am

TO ALL PEOPLE: DOWN WITH PALLADIUM!!!
http://mailbox.univie.ac.at/~prillih3/evil-empire/

Had to do that, it's spyware to the FINAL level.  Unfortunatly, I cannot contribute anything to this thread that happens to be useful to it's topic, I apologize (For yelling as well)

Boycott Palladium, Boycott Micro$oft, kill Bill Gates.
Humans are stupid... Evolve.
Baggy
level0

Postby Baggy » Thu Jul 25, 2002 12:21 pm

OK - The main difference (not the only difference - just the main one) between XP Home and XP Pro is that XP Home cannot be added to a Windows Domain.  This means that it is of naff all use to companies.

XP Pro is virtually identical to XP Home, but will allow you to connect to a Windows Domain.  So companies can then connect it to their network properly.

I know this from bitter experience when some muppet bought an XP Home machine for our office network !

Now that's cleared up - let the flaming continue !! ;-)

Later !
Jabberwocky
level3
level3

Postby Jabberwocky » Thu Jul 25, 2002 2:14 pm

Yes, inept and stupid techs is the only thing to explain that.

2K uses NTFS, Player. So does NT 4. Please go home.
The GoldFish
level5
level5

Postby The GoldFish » Thu Jul 25, 2002 2:30 pm

Reading what player has been saying... its a load of crap. It's just so funny that it would appear he believes what hes saying...

Well done all for shouting actual facts at him rather than even slightly agreeing with him :)
-- The GoldFish - member of former GIT and commander in chief of GALLAHAD. You could have done something, but it's been fixed. The end. Also, play bestgameever!

Return to “General”