Will people please stop now...

Anything and Everything about Uplink

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, Chris, Icepick, Rkiver

ReflectingGod
level5
level5

Postby ReflectingGod » Wed Jul 03, 2002 12:48 pm

Anyone who has been messing around with the topic count, the invisible threads and everytihng else will you please stop. You are fucking up the forum for everyone else... I don't care if it was only a joke, you people should be banned.
ME!

Procrastination - Hard work often pays of after time, but laziness always pays off now!

**Bibo ergo sum!**
elDiablo
level5
level5

Postby elDiablo » Wed Jul 03, 2002 1:07 pm

yeah, too right! i couldn't get on yesterday, and that's annoying! and think of chris having to repair it all
We dont stop playing cos we get old... We get old cos we stop playing.
Death
level1
level1

Postby Death » Wed Jul 03, 2002 1:37 pm

Maybe they should upgrade the forum then...this is what happens when you use old BB software - full of holes.

I think the exploit for this one allows arbitrary command execution because of some stupid cookie handling.
The GoldFish
level5
level5

Postby The GoldFish » Wed Jul 03, 2002 1:39 pm

No this is what happends when you have stupid people in the forum and old BB software. If there weren't here, there wouldnt be so big a problem.
-- The GoldFish - member of former GIT and commander in chief of GALLAHAD. You could have done something, but it's been fixed. The end. Also, play bestgameever!
Death
level1
level1

Postby Death » Wed Jul 03, 2002 1:40 pm

Security "enthusiasts" often scour the internet for old software and apply the exploits, just for the hell of it.
The GoldFish
level5
level5

Postby The GoldFish » Wed Jul 03, 2002 1:48 pm

Fair enough ;). I could understand if it was "enthusiasts" as you put it, but the key thing is, as faw as I am aware, is it was a mamber, or several of, of this board that did it, apperently thinking it was "cool", which as far as the majority of users think, it isnt... especially when the forum gets put out action, all be-it temporarily.
-- The GoldFish - member of former GIT and commander in chief of GALLAHAD. You could have done something, but it's been fixed. The end. Also, play bestgameever!
Icepick
level5
level5

Postby Icepick » Wed Jul 03, 2002 1:55 pm

Well this place has certianly gone down hill in my absence...
The GoldFish
level5
level5

Postby The GoldFish » Wed Jul 03, 2002 1:57 pm

Frankly, it probably would have gone down hill if you *had* been here...
Icepick
level5
level5

Postby Icepick » Wed Jul 03, 2002 1:58 pm

Yeah i know.
/me sighs
The GoldFish
level5
level5

Postby The GoldFish » Wed Jul 03, 2002 2:01 pm

I even changed my Sig for the occasion...
/me sighs also
Icepick
level5
level5

Postby Icepick » Wed Jul 03, 2002 2:03 pm

I think im just gonna give the forums a break for a while, wait for all these idiots to leave.
I'll come back again when i get my connection at home.
The GoldFish
level5
level5

Postby The GoldFish » Wed Jul 03, 2002 2:04 pm

Whens that gonna be?

Anyhow, we'll keep the FAQ bumped... assuming the forums dont die again... :S
Rushyo
level2
level2

Postby Rushyo » Wed Jul 03, 2002 2:13 pm

/me sighs for the hell of it.

Maybe it's a buffer overflowing. Having not read of those documents Goldfish so kindly linked to. I'm probably talking utter rubbish but it would be quite funny since buffer overflowing is a common hack.

Hacking a hacking game, get it? No? Oh, it's crap... right.

I've just come back to the forums so I'm pretty disappointed. I hate to be pushy but we really should move forums if stuff like this keeps happening.

(Edited by Rushyo at 2:16 pm on July 3, 2002)
Chris
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff

Postby Chris » Wed Jul 03, 2002 2:18 pm

Basically there is someone (or a couple of people) that are repeatedly creating threads like
1.001010101010e+40

I can see them being creating when I ftp into the site.  Someone is creating lots of them.  Each one of them totally wrecks that forum, so I have to delete them all.  Even if I take the forum down for a bit, they keep getting added when I bring it back up.

This is most annoying, and in all honesty I can't see an easy way around it.  The next version of Ikonboard (3.x) has its own security flaws, which would be exploited in the same way.  It would also take me hours to set up, and even longer to import the existing forum database since the formats are totally different.  This won't get done since we are currently working on Nakatomi, the Site Treasure Hunt, the Palm version and a couple of other things.  None of us have time for this.

We've never had this problem until now - so far we've had "one time only" hack attempts, and we've fixed them.  This appears to be a sustained attempt to bring the forums down.

If anyone knows of a fix for this specific bug (in Ikonboard 2.1.9b) then PLEASE get in touch with us.

Chris
Death
level1
level1

Postby Death » Wed Jul 03, 2002 2:21 pm

Can't get the IP addresses?

Personally, I use PHPBoard, haven't used any CGI powered boards since UBB 6.0 got me booted from my host...stupid thing was sucking CPU time.

(Edited by Death at 2:22 pm on July 3, 2002)

Return to “General”