Uplink : The Hackers Shadow

Anything and Everything about Uplink

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, Chris, Icepick, Rkiver

Ravenshadow
level2
level2

Postby Ravenshadow » Mon Mar 18, 2002 12:46 am

I recieved an email from the new host today which contained my user account details. The old version of THS is now being hosted on the new host with the same address (www.twilightshadows.net/uplink).

This should mean that there will be a lot less down time (hopfully none at all). For the time being I will not be doing any updates to the old version of the site. As soon as the new layout is ready, I shall be replacing the old version with it so that it will be hosted upon the same address. That should not take long to do, so there will be little down time from that.

Still not too sure how long the new version will take, though I am hoping within a week... It will go up as soon as the menu script is made and put in place. Then other contents can be added as we manage to finish them.
~ They can not catch us all ...
Icepick
level5
level5

Postby Icepick » Mon Mar 18, 2002 12:50 am

And guess who is gonna be doing the content :/
evilavenger2000
level0

Postby evilavenger2000 » Mon Mar 18, 2002 12:56 am

jus thought id let you know the download link on ur site, RavenShadow, is broken
Icepick
level5
level5

Postby Icepick » Mon Mar 18, 2002 12:57 am

*groan*
yes, she is well aware of that. And it will be down until the new version of the site is up
Ravenshadow
level2
level2

Postby Ravenshadow » Mon Mar 18, 2002 12:59 am

Yes... I know that the download section is broken... Which is why there is this red text there that explains why its broken. I have been told this by every single THS visitor I think ;)

The downloads will be fixed when the new site layout is put up instead of the old one.
Overwatch
level1
level1

Postby Overwatch » Mon Mar 18, 2002 1:25 am

Hi, Raven - Thought you'd like to know, my browser'll link through again, so either you've fixed it, or my idiosyncratic tech has decided I deserve to read it again... Either way, thanks for the time.

Overwatch
I'll have one of those, one of those, and Ooohh!! Two of those!!
<Toymeister>
Ravenshadow
level2
level2

Postby Ravenshadow » Mon Mar 18, 2002 1:29 am

I am betting on either the idiosyncratic tech, or the fact that it deals better with the new host ;)
Overwatch
level1
level1

Postby Overwatch » Mon Mar 18, 2002 1:36 am

:) My bet's on the tech - Anytime I own a computer for more than a month, it starts exhibiting "personality" type quirks. One of them howls whenever I turn it on. Another refuses to read the CD drive if the room is above 18 degrees centigrade... The third refuses to boot without me putting a hand on the case and sweet-talking it. And I have to threaten the printer before it works.

Excessive anthropomorphic inference? Animistic assumptions? Bizarre AI style development? Or just erratic maintenance schedules and random chance? You tell me! Either way, it's the way it seems to come out...

Must sleep now, Bye.

Later,
Overwatch
<Toymeister>
Saint Marky
level1
level1

Postby Saint Marky » Mon Mar 18, 2002 2:40 am

"personality type quirks. One of them howls whenever I turn it on. Another refuses to read the CD drive if the room is above 18 degrees centigrade... The third refuses to boot without me putting a hand on the case and sweet-talking it. And I have to threaten the printer before it works."

we all share you pain...
:: The Reverend Saint Marky of the Cult of the Jaffa Cake ::
Overwatch
level1
level1

Postby Overwatch » Mon Mar 18, 2002 12:00 pm

:)
It's not really a huge problem, just have to remember which ones to be kind and friendly, and which to intimidate. Possibly it correlates to processing power - the CPU has quite a lot, and hence can be cajoled like a toddler, but the peripherals can't really string cause and effect together in the same way, so it's either threat now or bribe now. And it's really hard to print when you're taking the printer to pieces to give it a nice strip-down clean and refill all it's reservoirs.

I don't know if I dare get a cutting edge PC now... What if it's advanced enough to go teenage at me? Black screens of death, random faults "Because I can...", and utter intractability to any attempt at maintenance "If you really loved me, you'd like me the way I am!!". All the fun of carrying on a relationship with a bipolar depressive/schizophrenic combination. Without ever mentioning the MPD opportunities of a dual boot windows/linux box.

On the other hand, looking at the content of this post, it may just be that I need more sleep and less coffee. I knew I should have gone to bed last night, not decided to have "Five more minutes" on the Uplink demo...

Overwatch.
<Toymeister>

Return to “General”