WARNING

Anything and Everything about Uplink

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, Chris, Icepick, Rkiver

Colicab
level0

Postby Colicab » Fri Mar 15, 2002 8:24 am

There is a few web sites that are giving this game away for free I don't know them all and I am not sure that we can do anything about it but if the Propietor wishes to know it I could tell you securely in MSN Mesenger a
mydogbenson@hotmail.com
"Miss your incredibly ugly, I may be drunk now but i wont be in the morning,   and your'll still be ugly."
Ravenshadow
level2
level2

Postby Ravenshadow » Fri Mar 15, 2002 10:14 am

Yes... Sadily there are quite a few out there doing that. Best you can do really is email notice to Chris. Of course, you could always go one step further and check the web site host's Terms of Service... Many web hosts state that they do not allow illegal material (including warez) to be hosted on their servers.

Even more sadily, I have noticed a so-called fan-site with a copy of the game on it :(
~ They can not catch us all ...
TheXWolf
level2
level2

Postby TheXWolf » Fri Mar 15, 2002 12:42 pm

Really...name one(no, I'm not going to cheat, I already PAID for the game) I'll find a way to e-mail thier person in charge. Really name one, I haven't seen any??????
Some people are worried about the difference between right and wrong. I'm worried about the difference between wrong and fun. - P.J. Rourke
Icepick
level5
level5

Postby Icepick » Fri Mar 15, 2002 12:45 pm

there are loads of them. I couldnt name one because i dont look, but im sure it wouldnt take much.
Ravenshadow
level2
level2

Postby Ravenshadow » Fri Mar 15, 2002 12:49 pm

No, I am not going to name one.
I don't care if people don't believe they are out there, I don't care if people don't believe the statment that there are disloyal and stupid people out there. Why? Because I don't really care if I am not believed or Colicab is not believed. I am just ashamed that there are so many people wishing to rip off a grand company like Introversion. Or so many people who call themselves faithful fans, though still rip the company off.
Overwatch
level1
level1

Postby Overwatch » Fri Mar 15, 2002 1:17 pm

I find it quite remarkable that people are going out and copying Uplink, then putting it up for free download... Then again, I was horrified to find some (ex)friends quite happily and guilelessly running copies of software off first time it happenned.
I actually made some serious effort to get this game. I tried using my card. Worldpay spat it back out and laughed. Then I tried to get an international money order - I ended up with serious stress and the post office took an obscenely large cut. And I didn't even end up with the right orders. So, in frustration, I have asked one one of my recent contaminations to order it with her card, and it should be winging its way to me even as we speak. I think I have a right to feel done down by thieves who're playing the "Warez" angle. So, as I have way too much time until it arrives, I'm going to make a concerted effort to track down as many such warez sites as I can, and notify their hosts, ISPs, and possibly FACT as well. That'll teach them to have their copies before me, and still to abuse them like this!

Uplink is like Ebola - a single case can contaminate hundreds of people. Everywhere I go, I hand 'round my demo CD. Wales will suffer an epedemic!

Overwatch
I'll have one of those, one of those, and Ooohh!! Two of those!!
<Toymeister>
Ravenshadow
level2
level2

Postby Ravenshadow » Fri Mar 15, 2002 1:25 pm

Up with the Wales epedemic!

And long live Overwatch's crusade ;)
Overwatch
level1
level1

Postby Overwatch » Fri Mar 15, 2002 2:38 pm

Thanks for the support, Ravenshadow. Marvellous site, by the way, even if the information in the "coffee!!" section did inspire me to go and make yet more coffee. Still, as long as my hands don't shake too much to type, there's no problem, right? :D Anyway, it may just be that I hang out with roleplayers, sci-fi fans, and other minority-type people, but I have yet to give out a copy of the demo without having the victim then hunt me down and demand the URL to buy the game...
I think that alone speaks for how well introversion have done - they may be on track to be the most succesful british programming teams since our friends in Chipping Sodbury, Microprose.

Thanks for the support - after the number of mail bounces, some with the title "So what?", and mostly flames, I'm just compiling sites and mass-mailing them to FACT. Any suggestions would be gratefully accepted... After all, if we don't want our freedom of speech, internet use, and so on mangled by people who don't care about the internet, then it's kind of on us to police ourselves... Or at least so it seems to me, I may be wrong... But this forum isn't the place for a rant on the abuses of freedom, so I'll stop now. Thanks for listening...

Overwatch.
I'll have one of those, one of those, and Ooohh!! Two of those!!
<Toymeister>
Chris
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff

Postby Chris » Fri Mar 15, 2002 3:41 pm

If you have confirmed links to Uplink downloads that actually work (ie full game downloadable) then please email them to Mark or myself immediately.  
mark@introversion.co.uk
chris@introversion.co.uk
Icepick
level5
level5

Postby Icepick » Fri Mar 15, 2002 3:52 pm

I think we should start a campain to destroy all the warez sites with Uplink on. Yes, i know it will be impossible to get them all, but if everyone sends in any sites they come across warezing uplink, at least something can be done...
Ravenshadow
level2
level2

Postby Ravenshadow » Fri Mar 15, 2002 4:00 pm

Sounds like a good idea to me!
I shall make sure to do that :)
Now... To find that so called fan-site again and expose it... *gets annoyed when people call themselves fans, though rip off the company any how*
Ajurna
level2
level2

Postby Ajurna » Fri Mar 15, 2002 4:24 pm

if i wasnt such a warez junky i would help. a wtf ill help a bit. but i wholely support the warez of programs from large multinational corporations (micro$oft for one) though just in case your wondering, i have a legal copy of the game. i never get warez games cause i want the game industry to keep on going + the downloads are horrible!!!!!!!!!
BEEP...BEEP...BEEP...BEEP
kingsknight
level0

Postby kingsknight » Fri Mar 15, 2002 5:21 pm

Yo people,

There is no way that you will ever stop people wanting to download the game for free, but im sure its hard to get that code card! its not just web sites you have to worry about its peer to peer file sharing too. if microsoft cant stop windows XP and Office XP for download im sure introversion cant stop it.

uplink it one of the best british games ever made! im well impressed iv got into 8 banks with out being caught:-) iv been rated an Expert and iv only been playing it for 4 days now!

If anyone wants to add me to there MSN messanger to talk about uplink then add me

kingsknight_uk@hotmail.com
Uplink lets you become a god for a moment! When will there be another uplink???
Gnasher1001
level3
level3

Postby Gnasher1001 » Fri Mar 15, 2002 5:41 pm

I'm a morpheus user, and I've monitered Uplink availability. It, unfortunately, has been available through as many as 15 users at a time. This could be stopped by putting a 300Mb install file (but only installs the small amount Uplink needs) onto the disk. Is this correct???? You could have a 300mb file on the disk, that only extracts the 27.3Mb needed. I know that people could compress the installed files, but it would cut out the 'I've got a game on disk so lets compress it and share it' people

(Edited by Gnasher1001 at 4:43 pm on Mar. 15, 2002)
Ik spreek geen Nederlands
Daedalus0101101
level1
level1

Postby Daedalus0101101 » Fri Mar 15, 2002 10:09 pm

I, for one, whould be happy to send all the sites a virus.  It would be code-named "Revelation".  If anyone  find sites  bomb them with "Revelation"
:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:

Return to “General”