Have the developers gave up on this game?

Anything and Everything about Uplink

Moderators: bert_the_turtle, jelco, Chris, Icepick, Rkiver

treelo
level1
level1

Postby treelo » Tue Feb 26, 2002 1:31 pm

Im loking at the bug reports forum and most of the problems on there havent been fixed by the patch and now im experiencing one myself..

the thing is...im on my 4th agent now because i refuse to copy my user file and now i got pretty far in and dont want to start again...

are the guys still looking at all the logs they are getting through thier email?

if yes..when is the next patch going to be released fixing all of these problems?

also..while im on a rant...

the patch....im correct in assuming that this is a self running patch and i dont need to overwrite it into the uplink folder.....

(Edited by treelo at 11:33 pm on Feb. 25, 2002)
Ravenshadow
level2
level2

Postby Ravenshadow » Tue Feb 26, 2002 1:54 pm

To answer the title: Read the offical news boards.

To emails to the email logs: Can you imagin how many emails they get? They look through them, though they can not possibly reply to all the messages (and have probally given up trying to reply to most of them, just so that they can read more). They KNOW about the problems and the bugs, and they are working on fixes. Just read the offical news board.

In regards to the patch:
Download it and see. I don't remember myself, though I am sure it was a patch you could run *shrug*
~ They can not catch us all ...
Kid Shenck
level2
level2

Postby Kid Shenck » Tue Feb 26, 2002 2:14 pm

Believe me, I share your pain about the Chris and the boys not doing anything about the game.

I've been coming here off and on for about 3 months, and 2 months ago, they (various people) said that there was going to be a second patch "in a couple of days." Well, there wasn't. There still isn't. There's just the patch that has been here since I first started playing the game (when it was posted on Slashdot).

So, I'm sure they are working hard to meet all our requests, but it's hard to see.

By the way, the patch is a self-extracting exe, and you have to unzip it to your Uplink directory. It will overwrite your current uplink.exe.
Kid Shenck
Check your local listings.
treelo
level1
level1

Postby treelo » Tue Feb 26, 2002 3:14 pm

so it will also overwrite my save games then

and i have downloaded the patch raven..it wont self run..and i dont want to copy it into the uplink folder incase it deletes my save games...do you see!
RedDevil085
level3
level3

Postby RedDevil085 » Tue Feb 26, 2002 3:16 pm

why the hell would it delete your save files? and if it does, then back them up... you want a patch or what?
Lost about 63 Games/ Lifes Ruined (total): 39/
Current status:31337 :-p/ Asswhoo
Zhark
level1
level1

Postby Zhark » Tue Feb 26, 2002 3:20 pm

It does not delete your savegames... That would be pretty stupid :)
In Linux, it was just a new start-file that should replace the original start-file. The savegames lies under [Uplink library]/users
Linux zealot of the Uplink forums.
- I can say many nice things about Linux... Remember though, that zealots are not known to be 100% trustworthy...
- Palle 'Absent' Raabjerg
Ravenshadow
level2
level2

Postby Ravenshadow » Tue Feb 26, 2002 3:43 pm

*clueless*
Why would a game patch over write save game files which are 1) not in the main directory where the rest of the game files are, 2) not things that need patching?

Hello... Its a patch not a new game.

So, no, I don't see.
treelo
level1
level1

Postby treelo » Tue Feb 26, 2002 3:58 pm

correct me if im wrong smart arses but the patch thta i downloaded had a new user folder in it...

therefore if i put all of the patch into the uplink folder then it would overwrite...

i know i dont have to pu the whole folder in..but i was just wondering before you smart-arses jumped on the wagon...

for some reason you feel the need to flame at every post..why dont you do somethin constructive with your time while online instead of flaming people asking questions
Ravenshadow
level2
level2

Postby Ravenshadow » Tue Feb 26, 2002 4:44 pm

/me sees no flames in her post. Shrugs it off.

Well then, do what anyone else would do... Backup your files before doing anything you are not sure about.

Problem solved.
friik
level1
level1

Postby friik » Tue Feb 26, 2002 4:45 pm

id also like some fixes, i wouldnt be sad, if they released as often as microsoft:). the game has tendency to kick me out on some missions whet i have to copy 10 files, but file server has only 8 slots, and so on...like on radeon advetisemaent...
GIMME PATCHES
Your face, your ass. What's the difference
                                    Duke Nukem
Ravenshadow
level2
level2

Postby Ravenshadow » Tue Feb 26, 2002 4:55 pm

Okay... Let me put this in simple terms.

The more people moan and whine about the lack of patches, the longer it will take Introversion (or should I just call them The Four, since there are only four of them and all, rather than a whole large company) to bring out the patches you want. Why is this you ask? Easy... Because they have to read all the complaints and all the little whining posts about people wanting patches, and read endless streams of emails about the same old topic, which takes a lot of time out of the time they have to do such things as fix bugs and make patches.

See? That is quite simple isn't it?
Zhark
level1
level1

Postby Zhark » Tue Feb 26, 2002 4:57 pm

Hehe, I'm also waiting a bit for that big patch :)

I just want to point out that the savegames you make are saved under the /user library with the same filename as you choose to give your agent. This means that even if you take a library of the same name and (apparently) overwrite the original library with your saves, the saves will still not get deleted... Its only if there accidentially exists a filename in the copied library with the same name as one of your savegame files that it will get overwrited. So it's pretty save to say that your savegames propably wont get overwritten... You got that? :)

However, if you want to be 100% sure, then yes, make a backup.
- I can say many nice things about Linux... Remember though, that zealots are not known to be 100% trustworthy...
treelo
level1
level1

Postby treelo » Tue Feb 26, 2002 5:08 pm

i think your missing the point of the original post was asking if they were still working on patches ect...

i read the news section and it mentions nothin about ongoing development to correct the game

i also do not send them emails with a lot of text on just what i was doing before my game crashed..so they wont have any long whinging emails from me to read...

i like this game as much as the next guy but making the game autosave and then crashing means that you have to back up your save games..as you do not know when the game is going to crash..u get my point..

i dont want to have to keep hopping in and out of a game to backup files...

even if they posted on here saying that the majority of bug fixes will be xompleted in the next patch which is due.............

maybe then they wouldnt have as many people complaining..the lack of feedback about bugs and a new patch is what is bugging(hehe) most people

so guys..if your reading..just give us a month you think you may have it completed in...

cheers
Chris
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff

Postby Chris » Tue Feb 26, 2002 5:13 pm

We're listening.  Honestly we are.  I find that I generally have to remind the Uplink community about once every three weeks that YES, we are indeed working hard on a patch for the game.  It just takes time, and this patch has some great new stuff in - lots of new gameplay, lots of new features and lots of bug fixes.

In the future we will be aiming for more frequent patches - probably one a month, but right now we are committed to doing this patch with all this new material so we simply can't rush it out.

We decided long ago that we would keep the major gameplay changes quiet.  We don't mention the patch very much on the news page because there just isn't much to say.  Work is progressing.  
Zhark
level1
level1

Postby Zhark » Tue Feb 26, 2002 5:21 pm

I was just trying to answer a little misunderstanding... And I also agree that it would be nice with maybe just a slight indication as to when the patch will be finished.
If you look properly at the latest news section, you will discover that the news item from the 6. february does mention the patch and an apology for not having it out yet... Try reading it if you haven't already!

Edit: Heh, I was writing this while Chris posted his answer :)

(Edited by Zhark at 3:23 am on Feb. 26, 2002)

Return to “General”