level0

Postby MC » Fri Jan 18, 2002 3:14 am

The Serial Experiments of Lain.
Jabberwocky
level3
level3

Postby Jabberwocky » Fri Jan 18, 2002 5:10 am

Here's a plot-

A string is prepared to take out a bank. Three gunmen, a lock man, a driver, and a hacker. The hacker will access the bank from remote and disable security setups as the team encounters them.

During the operation, one of the gunmen takes out the lockman. None of the gunman or the driver knows who did it. They bug out.

The hacker saw who did it, and promptly terminated his contract and pulled in so tight that no-one can get ahold of him.

The story would be the robbery team trying to get to the hacker to find out what really happened...

I think its been done before, but it would work.
There is always free cheese in a mousetrap.
gr4ph
level0

Postby gr4ph » Fri Jan 18, 2002 4:06 pm

firstly: sorry for my english (you know... i come from Poland)... and my favorite film is... wargames... and operation takedown: the pursuit and capture of kevin mitnick :P greetz to all...

gr4ph from
[RSC]team    
SilverGryphon
level1
level1

Postby SilverGryphon » Sat Jan 19, 2002 1:09 am

Jabberwocky:
If that plot has been filmed/written before - then I don't know. I have never heard about it before...
Interested in writing a script about it?
(What is courage? - To try and fail... but rise to try again.)
DaFerret
level1
level1

Postby DaFerret » Sat Jan 19, 2002 1:52 am

*dons his flame retardant suit*

'kay, how about The Net? It had a good premise... execution could have been a bit better... protagonist was good but could have had better. Granted, there wasn't a lot of hacking action going on, but when it was there it was entertaining. Talking 'bout the movie version because I haven't paid attention to the t.v. series version.
DaFerret
"Sometimes you feel like a nut..."
caos
level0

Postby caos » Sat Jan 19, 2002 2:16 pm

I agree THERE IS NO HACKER "!...
i think i braind my damage
Agent Actor
level0

Postby Agent Actor » Sat Jan 19, 2002 2:58 pm

Wargames, Hackers(if it was based more on the book than what some loser in Hollywood thought was cool) and then Tron because I can.
With a special mention to the great Japanese anime shown Serial Experiments Lain which if it was a movie would be first.

Ho Ho Ho.
Actor.
Greenmonkey824
level1
level1

Postby Greenmonkey824 » Sat Jan 19, 2002 5:59 pm

I liked Wargames, Hackers, and Antitrust. Hackers gave us Zero Cool, which was just plain amazing. Wargames gave us Matthew Broderick with his dopey facial expression playing a 1980s gamer who almost starts World War 3 on his home computer, which is just plain FUNNY when you think about it. And Antitrust tells the world that Bill Gates really is a manifestation of Evil. Yes, with a capital "E." And the satellite dish in the mouse at the daycare center. Funny. Okay, I like all these movies because they are somehow FUNNY.
Ape In a Box
Well, you see, it's an ape...in a box.
Imbroglio
level0

Postby Imbroglio » Sun Jan 20, 2002 11:20 pm

I haven't seen most of the movies in question, but I have seen Johnny Mnemonic- -I admit it was a total lemon, but the little hacking sequence was kind of cool - I think Keanu Reeves actually had to learn how to mime for that part...  oh and btw the story was excellent-all this movie talk makes me wonder how many people have read William Gibson-arguably the best and most influential science fiction authors ever--and he lives in Vancouver (like me!) (biggrin)

(Edited by Imbroglio at 1:31 pm on Jan. 20, 2002)
Imbroglio
imbroglio (im-brol`yo) noun plurali imbroglios
1. A difficult or intricate situation; an entanglement.
Denubis
level0

Postby Denubis » Sun Jan 20, 2002 11:31 pm

Do you mean eddings, or Philip K. Dick -- Total Recall, Impostor, Screamers, most of the really heavy sci-fi movies (usually ones with a plot of some kind) were written by him. Where people go wrong is they think the future net will be Gibsonian instead of Snow Crash esque (ane then Diamond age... wonderful book that..)
Pax Draconis http://www.paxdraconis.com
One Galaxy, One War, One million ways to profit!
Imbroglio
level0

Postby Imbroglio » Sun Jan 20, 2002 11:36 pm

actually I meant William Gibson (already edited it up in previous post)  David Eddings is actually a fantasy writer but I got mixed up.
I haven't read anything by Dick but I'm already looking for books by him.  I agree that the internet will never be Gibsonian, but you have to gie the guy credit....
Imbroglio
imbroglio (im-brol`yo) noun plurali imbroglios
1. A difficult or intricate situation; an entanglement.
Jabberwocky
level3
level3

Postby Jabberwocky » Mon Jan 21, 2002 4:55 am

Gryphon- Sure!
Rizscott
level1
level1

Postby Rizscott » Mon Jan 21, 2002 5:32 am

Has everyone forgotten the scene in Independence Day when Jeff Goldblums character puts a virus in the motherships's computer to take out its shields? Totally freakin stupid but doesn't that make it a hacking movie?

And on an unrelated note....

Why does this forum insist on putting my posts up with a -11 hour offset when the box in my profile is as empty as a politicians promise?

(Edited by Rizscott at 3:33 pm on Jan. 20, 2002)

(Edited by Rizscott at 3:34 pm on Jan. 20, 2002)
UPLINK - It's what Insomnia was invented for.....                                
Jabberwocky
level3
level3

Postby Jabberwocky » Mon Jan 21, 2002 5:43 am

I was watching I-Day with my gf once.

Her father, an IT nut, walked in when we got to the "virus" part.

I turned to him and said "Yeah, he coded a virus for an alien operating system on an alien architecture using different connection protocols and completley different methods of data processing during a cutaway."

He shrugged. "Dosent stop it from being a gung-ho action flick."

Then I presented my I-Day theory that said Humanity provoked the Agressor response.
ThaFuji
level0

Postby ThaFuji » Mon Jan 21, 2002 7:35 am

i'd have to say War games. It was an ok movie made a lot of sense than did "hackers". "Hackers" was little but cheezy but hey....U can't turn down Angelina Jolie. The only thing i liked about Swordfish was that puter.
-------------------
"Do not doubt what you cannot see, only think of the possibility that the impossible might be the answer."
"The brain consists of two sides, If we could control both sides then maybe man would see, what he is doing is wrong"

Return to “General”