Best Hacking Film?

Anything and Everything about Uplink

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, Chris, Icepick, Rkiver

Jabberwocky
level3
level3

Postby Jabberwocky » Mon Jan 21, 2002 7:41 am

What I loved about Wargames was it was a lot more a movie about WW III than a hacking movie... a real mood piece.

And a movie about idealism.
There is always free cheese in a mousetrap.
ThaFuji
level0

Postby ThaFuji » Mon Jan 21, 2002 5:51 pm

WarGames kinda creeped me out coz of that weird puter voice.

Would u like to play a game?
Global Thermonuclear war.
Wouldn't u like to play a nice game of chess?
Global Thermonuclear war.

Hehe. I've watched ot so many times. thats my all time fav movie.
-------------------
"Do not doubt what you cannot see, only think of the possibility that the impossible might be the answer."
"The brain consists of two sides, If we could control both sides then maybe man would see, what he is doing is wrong"
Reverb
level1
level1

Postby Reverb » Tue Jan 22, 2002 11:15 am

Quote: from Denubis on 9:31 am on Jan. 20, 2002[br]Do you mean eddings, or Philip K. Dick -- Total Recall, Impostor, Screamers, most of the really heavy sci-fi movies (usually ones with a plot of some kind) were written by him. Where people go wrong is they think the future net will be Gibsonian instead of Snow Crash esque (ane then Diamond age... wonderful book that..)

Den, you missed out Blade Runner.

And none of those films are about hacking. When it comes to cyberpunk, Gibson is one of the fathers, not Dick. However, the cyberpunk look was no doubt created by Ridley Scott in Blade Runner.

However, it seems to me that everyone is only saying Hackers because of one reason. Ms Jolie. That doesn't make it a good hacking movie, guys, it makes it reasonably bland masturbation material.

Face it, Hackers was an awful film, not even so bad it's good. It was so bad, it was REALLY bad.

(Edited by Reverb at 9:18 pm on Jan. 21, 2002)
Xynobis
level0

Postby Xynobis » Tue Jan 22, 2002 2:25 pm

As far as current 'hacker' movies go, Wargames is basically the only one that wasn't a total joke.

Tell me, though, that [url = http://www.8op.com/gibson/en/neuromovie.htm] This [/url] wouldn't be the end-all to hacker movies if it was pulled off. Gibson's stories with Chris Cunningham's totally messed up visuals. Yummy.
"You can't fight in here, this is the War Room!!!"
Rhombus
level0

Postby Rhombus » Tue Jan 22, 2002 2:49 pm

Quote: from Reverb on 9:15 pm on Jan. 21, 2002[br]
Quote: from Denubis on 9:31 am on Jan. 20, 2002[br]Do you mean eddings, or Philip K. Dick -- Total Recall, Impostor, Screamers, most of the really heavy sci-fi movies (usually ones with a plot of some kind) were written by him. Where people go wrong is they think the future net will be Gibsonian instead of Snow Crash esque (ane then Diamond age... wonderful book that..)

Den, you missed out Blade Runner.

And none of those films are about hacking. When it comes to cyberpunk, Gibson is one of the fathers, not Dick. However, the cyberpunk look was no doubt created by Ridley Scott in Blade Runner.

However, it seems to me that everyone is only saying Hackers because of one reason. Ms Jolie. That doesn't make it a good hacking movie, guys, it makes it reasonably bland masturbation material.

Face it, Hackers was an awful film, not even so bad it's good. It was so bad, it was REALLY bad.

(Edited by Reverb at 9:18 pm on Jan. 21, 2002)

You're wrong about Philip K Dick, unless you're gonna be a squidhead and say cyberpunk revolves purely around hacking. Cyberpunk, as a theme/genre is about the encroachment of technology, semi-dystopian futures and corporate power. Dick more or less pioneered the whole thing.  Dick's big thing was the nature of reality and existance.

As for the pro-Gibson/anti-Gibson stuff, the guy didn't know from computers when he first started writing Cyberpunk, which probably gave him a lot more creative leeway than if he had. Hell, his first few books were done on a manual typewriter - some people have taken this as heretical... but those people probably has a few issues that need seeing to.

Personally I prefer Dick, Stephenson, Sterling, Rucker and McAuley over Gibson, but that's just me.
Bodini
level1
level1

Postby Bodini » Wed Feb 13, 2002 1:57 pm

none of you ever seen nirvana starring christopher lambert? not really allabout hacking but worth a look me think
cyber\newage, implants, neural connections,  hackedchipcreditcards, self aware AI..

(Edited by Bodini at 7:10 pm on Feb. 13, 2002)
Kerbox
level0

Postby Kerbox » Wed Feb 13, 2002 2:11 pm

Im just gonna say that Uplink would be an awsome movie if it is produced by either Chris or a Uplink player. (perhaps one that have written a fan fiction)
Computers can figure out all kinds of problems, except the things in the world that just don't add up.
AB4Rena
level0

Postby AB4Rena » Wed Feb 13, 2002 5:03 pm

Hmm... I personally remember a movie called "Masterminds" myself... it wasn't really excetpionally good, but it WAS a hacking movie to an extent... if I recall, it was actually about a hacker kid trying to stop a bunch of guys taking over a school... I kid you not.

...Now actually, I mention this because actually, the hacker kid's hacking interface was actually disturbingly similar to Uplink's interface... If I didn't notice that the first time I played Uplink, I never would have mentioned it...
Kerbox
level0

Postby Kerbox » Wed Feb 13, 2002 5:18 pm

yea, you are right, the interfaces where very similar. Exept that instead of password breaking, you had to find the entrance in 3d space :)
Computers can figure out all kinds of problems, except the things in the world that just don't add up.
4R7
level0

Postby 4R7 » Wed Feb 13, 2002 5:45 pm

I think The Net was a pretty realistic hacker movie, even if there wasnt much hacking in it...and for Hackers???That movie looked like it was made by some Hollywood guy that didn't know a THING about real hacking/cracking! And you guys are saying it was SORTA cheezy? well anyway this is only my oppinion :)
"Its the type of art you cant learn in art class"
TheYak
level1
level1

Postby TheYak » Wed Feb 13, 2002 6:11 pm

Hmm.  I just looked up Hackers on the imdb and noticed that it had Angelina Jolie!  I need to get rent it again, its been a while since I've seen it last. ;)
-Yak
[14:18] <slayer111> That's like saying that GTA3 is like Atari classic Pole Position... with guns!
ditoa
level0

Postby ditoa » Wed Feb 13, 2002 7:45 pm

i presonally think AntiTrust was good, it is the only hacking film that i can think of where you actually see a REAL *NIX terminal in use, it isnt so stupid it cant be believed but it is enjoyable, the problem with hacking films is "real" hackers will always say it is shit, and they have a right to, as they never get it right! they try and make it out as if it takes 5 minutes to hack into a server and steal some files then delete the logs, it doesnt really get the point access that 99% of hacking is research on companies, software, exploits, patches, hardware, social engineering, etc. To be honest i doubt there will ever (well for a good few years anyway) be a decent film about hacking, and until then AntiTurst is probably the best although it is more corrupt company, killing other programmers movie not a hacking film :P
64 69 74 6F 61
Jabberwocky
level3
level3

Postby Jabberwocky » Wed Feb 13, 2002 11:02 pm

Wargames was pretty acurate... it showed Lightman doing weeks of research on Falken and his computer programs and life... which led him to the backdoor...

Which led to a world of shit, but hey...
Hellspawn_uplink
level0

Postby Hellspawn_uplink » Wed Feb 13, 2002 11:11 pm

I liked that with Kevin Mitchnick (dunno if that is the correct spelling :P).. and i dunno what the film was called either :)
HELL's HELL and HEAVEN's ANGEL
Jabberwocky
level3
level3

Postby Jabberwocky » Wed Feb 13, 2002 11:26 pm

Takedown?

Return to “General”