Operation Swordfish

Anything and Everything about Uplink

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, Chris, Icepick, Rkiver

Astromarine
level2
level2

Postby Astromarine » Fri Nov 09, 2001 2:16 pm

Hi guys. I'm planning on going to see a "H4X0R1N6" movie called Operation Swordfish today. Any of you seen it? what's your opinion on it? Is it worth it?

Thanx all
Dark Karnival
level0

Postby Dark Karnival » Fri Nov 09, 2001 3:05 pm

Swordfish is the name of it.

I haven't seen it yet, but plan to.  Everyone I've talked to loved it.  Check out "Anti-Trust" too if you haven't already.  Hackers and Sneakers are pretty decent as well.  I also liked Strange days.

Have Fun.
Cheshyr
level1
level1

Postby Cheshyr » Fri Nov 09, 2001 5:14 pm

It's pretty good.  A lot of the graphics are similar to this game.  Doesn't play with 'hacking' as much as I'd like, but it's still pretty cool.  It IS a fairly adult movie.  There are quite a few unneccesary nude scenes, and a couple situations I'd rather not have to explain to my computer geek little brother, but overall a very good movie..!
Astromarine
level2
level2

Postby Astromarine » Mon Nov 12, 2001 9:34 am

well, went to see it. It was *kinda* fun, but all the bloody mistakes in technical stuff just got me off it a little. Like the "fantastic" 128!!! bit encryption, or the Finnish guy (named Torvalds - heh) speaking German!!! or the breaking of a Vernan-cypher encrypted piece of data. BLERGH :)
hacker
level0

Postby hacker » Mon Nov 12, 2001 11:53 am

my thoughts on swordfish is, great freaking movie,
got damm I wanna be a hacker and have to
break into fbi in 60sec, and have her.... ehehe
dont wanna spoil....

Well about the encryption, well as always
there is nothing that says it cant be done,
look for example on C64, there are still
persons today making things thought imposible
to make on a C64.
Astromarine
level2
level2

Postby Astromarine » Mon Nov 12, 2001 12:14 pm

well, actually that's wrong. Vernam encryption IS impossible to crack - mostrly because it uses one-time keys, which means that cracking the data is the same as trying all combinations of symbols the same length of the data, to see which one makes "sense" - which is obviously ridiculous.

For an in-depth explanation (not too technical too - should be fun even for semi-geeks) go to

http://www.pro-technix.com/information/ ... _base.html
Rookie One
level1
level1

Postby Rookie One » Mon Nov 12, 2001 3:44 pm

I haven't seen Swordfish yet, but it can't be worse than The Net or Hackers in terms of technical badness.  

"It's got a PCI bus, three times the speed of a Pentium."  

Do ANY of these assholes hire consultants?  
Astromarine
level2
level2

Postby Astromarine » Mon Nov 12, 2001 4:00 pm

oh dear oh dear oh dear. don't get me started about "hackers".

Actually, that's what hurts about this movie - they HAD a consultant. It mentions too much technical stuff - PDP-10, Wired, Torvalds, Vernam cypher. But they got it ALL WRONG. *sigh*

It would be better if they DIDN'T do research.
miathan
level0

Postby miathan » Mon Nov 12, 2001 4:25 pm

I totally agree with Astromarine.
I wish they didn't do research
Use futuristic sounding names that don't have a meaning in real life, like gigaquads in Uplink. And have the things only a bit theoretically consistent and realistic not practical in the nowadays scanario. (again, like Uplink) After all it's science fiction
OR, take the non-science-fiction approach. But a fact is that hacking nowadays is kind of boring to do, so it wouldn't make a good action movie/game..
JcDenton999
level0

Postby JcDenton999 » Mon Nov 12, 2001 4:54 pm

quote John Travolta:
U know what the problem with Hollywood is? The make shit! unbelivable unremarkable shit...
...I'm talking bout the lack of realism...

hrhr
hacker
level0

Postby hacker » Mon Nov 12, 2001 5:15 pm

You can not say never ever,
Im a lamer when comes to techincal terms, coding
and so forth. But no matter how unlogic it may sounds
there is always a posibility that it is logical and can there
for be so.

What Im trying to say is, the history repeats it self,
what do u think a man said 500 bc and u told
him we are going to fly in the air and walk on the moon.
If u tell your self u can not do this, than u will not,
then you have given up.

ALWAYS leave a openmind to a problem, there is
always a solution or there could not be a problem..
Astromarine
level2
level2

Postby Astromarine » Mon Nov 12, 2001 5:45 pm

*I* do not say never ever. *every single one* of today's crypto expert say it. Look, I'll try to explain it in non technical terms:

Say you want to encrypt 10 characters. What you do is take a file with 10 totally random characters (and by totally random I mean readings from geiger counters and particle accelerators, not simple software RNG). They you apply a mathematical function to these 2 files, and you get an encrypted file. you give (by hand, in a diskette) to the receiver a copy of the random file. he then runs the same mathematical function on the 2 files, and he gets the original file back.

This means that if someone intercepts the message, all he gets is the 10 encrypted characters. Since the key is *the same length as the message* the cracker must attempt to use *every single combination of 10 characters* to crack the message. but how does he choose? If the message is "tonight9pm" there is one key that encrypts it to 10 encrypted characters. but *another* key can encrypt the message "tonight7pm" to the same encrypted string. How do you choose? impossible.

I repeat - this algorythm is un-crackable, *as long as* the key is traded securely between sender and receiver and is used only a limited number of times (preferably one). It is not made to encrypt communications, it's made to encrypt *files*, to be sent between intelligence agencies.

sorry about the class. But trust me on this one. It was mathematically proven, with common valid theorems, to be uncrackable.

Which is why using it on the film was totally idiotic. But that's nitpicking
Rottie
level0

Postby Rottie » Mon Nov 12, 2001 10:56 pm

OS is possible the worst hacking movie ever.
I liked hackers. There were some technical errors but at least it felt right.
OS on the other hand is
- filled with technical errors
- gives off a completely wrong image of how hacking is done.
Hitting all the keys on your keyboard as fast as possible with all the fingers of your hands, whilst swetting like a beast : is not hacking.
Password guessing against the clock: is not hacking.

And I find a computer with more then one screen (and a screensaver that rotates over all those screens) not that impressive. Well, no, it is a bit impressive (enough to drule) but not enough to practicly come.
Man, even uplink can do that (great feature btw)

No, hacking means keeping your head together, definitivly when the going gets tough. Its all about brainpower, not about "fast typing" and "just use heavy language, no-one will understand".

There is 1 (one) very nice special effect in the movie though. But you can also see it in the videoclip of the soundtrack so ...
JcDenton999
level0

Postby JcDenton999 » Tue Nov 13, 2001 12:12 am

well u know what?
OS is propably the worst hacking film ever coz its an
->action<- movie OKAY????
dont u got anything better to do than counting mistakes they made? its sth to entertain not a documentation...
hacker
level0

Postby hacker » Tue Nov 13, 2001 12:26 am

If I recall the movie correctly he made a 1024 bit cryption, so whats the problem with that ?

Return to “General”