A Message to the Programmers of Uplink

Anything and Everything about Uplink

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, Chris, Icepick, Rkiver

CrashNBurn
level2
level2

Postby CrashNBurn » Fri Nov 09, 2001 5:29 am

Ok well, as long as patches and updates are being worked on by the programmers then thats great.
Like I said before no updates and patches leaves people getting bored fast.

However I thought all the programmers were working on Uplink 2? Not Updates and Patches for Uplink 1.
I feel that doing both is a very daunting task, and hope that you can get help from the general public if need be.

I myself know nothing about source code haha I have no idea how people make mods or anything. I just would like to see the game constantly being upgraded and patched.

I cant wait for Uplink 2 =) Keep up the good work, and I understand why the code will not be released. Maybe its for the best. Maybe not, however since you did make the game it is in your right to do whatever you want with it.

If there is anything we can do to help, dont be afraid to ask. I myself and I feel these great people in this forum would do everything they could to help this great game.

Thank you for your time and opinions
~Crash~
Senso
level1
level1

Postby Senso » Fri Nov 09, 2001 7:12 am

Off topic...

Movies? Copyrights?! LMAO! The entire Hollywood business is a one BIG ripoff! Ok ok, I know, there are copyrights, but they don't care about them. I mean, almost 90% of the Hollywood crappy (which they all are) flicks are ripoffs (a lot from French movies).
The Majors don't need Copyrights to sue another company/person. They can do what the hell they want because they have the big bucks.

The horror movie scene is so dead. Now, a horror movie is almost always about a bunch of stupid teens getting killed one by one by an unknown monster/psychopath/evil bunny. I'm not saying that Copyrights don't work, I'm sure Introversion could sue someone who made a copy of Uplink. But for movies... Come on...
They all use the same stupid themes (disasters, E.T.s, silly Christmas love stories, etc.) and same plot lines. Eliah Kazan, Arthur Penn, Kubrick, they could all sue the entire Hollywood clique for the dozens of big budget mindnumbing flicks they ripped off.
</rant>
Yetipants
level1
level1

Postby Yetipants » Fri Nov 09, 2001 4:25 pm

comment to CrashNBurn...
umm, the game has been out for what, like a couple weeks?
and you're tired already?
either you're #1 SMARTAY MAN HAXOR or just quite hard to please... =)
Icepick
level5
level5

Postby Icepick » Fri Nov 09, 2001 5:57 pm

Yetipants, the game has been out for nearly 6 weeks now, and to be honest, it doesnt take long to do a large chunk of the game, i mean, i did most of it in a day and a half. Im not saying im bored with the game yet, but i can understand why other people are.
A
level1
level1

Postby A » Fri Nov 09, 2001 6:54 pm

CraiZE: you're just a tit.

Everyone else: yeah, hope some patches come out soon, but i understand that a lot of shit needs to be gone through to do them. to be honest, this game may take a short time to complete relative to a month, but it's the game that has taken the longest time for me to reach the end. ok maybe i'm just thick or crap at the game. i'm still at grade 6 - left it on the shelf for a week as i had a lot of stuff to do in the past week or so, and no time for games. games like driver, red alert 2 and the rest of the command and conquer series, serious sam, quake 1+2+3 and others take about a day to complete, then get very boring as you've mastered the game. ok, yeah, there are the multiplayer options, but i find i lose interest quickly in that area as well and the number of ****ing homosexuals on the westwood servers are unbelievable, which ruins the game and point of actually playing multiplayer. so far i've played this game for a few hours each evening for about 4-5 days. in a minute i'll resume again after my week of separation from it. i find the simpler the idea of the game, the better it is. i don't want to read a ****ing 12 volume set of books to find out how to play the game. stuff like IG2, commandos 2 and a few others are getting there. my attention span on commandos 2 was about 10 minutes, as i realised that i needed to read a pile of s*** to find out how to get some guy up a telegraph pole. anyway, i'll better stop writing or people won't read this.
I'm A, but you can call me A
Grade 6 - Elite
Sociopathic... and stuck
Icepick
level5
level5

Postby Icepick » Sat Nov 10, 2001 2:54 am

your exactly right
a simple game is gonna do much better than one that you have to have an M.I.T. degree to play, thats the joy of uplink, its nice and simple, yet still gets harder as you go through.
AHardyBoy
level2
level2

Postby AHardyBoy » Sat Nov 10, 2001 9:09 am

Quote: from WolfLord on 10:46 pm on Nov. 7, 2001[br]Hmmm... while you guys are at it, go pester sony to release the source for their games... and microsoft too...
-WolfLord

SONY ARE SHITE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

whew.  now that that's done,

SONY ARE SHITE AND THEY DON'T WAIT LONG ENOUGH FOR THEIR THIRD PARTY DEVELOPERS.  

I say, Introversion should work on getting Uplink multiplayer then take it to the XBOX console.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
Ahardyboy
Level 3 Hacker: Veteran
Neuromancer Rating: Single-minded
Kadarom Douhrek
level2
level2

Postby Kadarom Douhrek » Sat Nov 10, 2001 9:16 am

XBox rocks.

Oh god, did I just say something created by MS rocks?

Yes, yes I did.
And I'm proud of it.

Of course I predict this will be the first and only time I say it.
CrashNBurn
level2
level2

Postby CrashNBurn » Sat Nov 10, 2001 11:03 am

To Yetipants:
haha no im not a smart haxor =P
I am hard to please though haha but yeah it doesn't take long to figure out the game and complete everything that you can.

I have to admit when i first turned on Uplink, i was thinking damn this is sooo complicated. After playing just once i pretty much figured alot of stuff (eg: program usage) out. Its not too hard, but its still a great game.

~Crash~
TheDeadGuy
level0

Postby TheDeadGuy » Sat Nov 10, 2001 3:17 pm

The thing is ne1 with the time to learn could make a lame rip off of the game.

But it would ONLY BE A LAME RIP OFF.

I could try; I have learnt quite a bit over my years sitting infront of computers, but my game would suck!!!!

It's all about originality and gameplay, these things would be lost in some retarded kids attempt at making a free and better game....

well anyway I think I'll wait untill Introversion are ready to release what they want to and live with trying to hack away at my own crappy mods until then...
Yetipants
level1
level1

Postby Yetipants » Sat Nov 10, 2001 9:49 pm

true true, one thing is being able to program cool stuff, a different thing entirely is being able to design a good game...
oh and to the people kind enough to comment on my previous post, i am also very hard to please and i find uplink's magic hasn't worn off yet =)
Rookie One
level1
level1

Postby Rookie One » Sat Nov 10, 2001 10:33 pm

I'm unfortunately not a full tech (I can build systems and all that crap, but I'm no programmer or hacker), but for the community as a whole I'd like to see an SDK come out, or at least a mission/system builder program, or ways to customize the interface.  

I have to say that this is a new game and a new (at least, mostly unexplored) genre, so there are going to be a lot of holes that wouldn't be found in typical software stability debugging processes.  It's a complex and new form of world/gameplay, so there's going to be a lot of things that won't be checked immediately.  

Right now, short of dreams of Uplink 2, I have only a few main hopes for this game/company: that various gameplay and program bugs will be worked out in patches, that new features will be presented and will make the game better and deeper (can't wait for the bonus CD.... or the full game itself! :), and that Introversion will listen to a lot of the very good suggestions for the game on this forum (which looks very good, considering Chris and others' presence here :).  

I have a sort of silly question to go with this, though: I just ordered the game... I assume the bonus CD will be shipped seperately, since it hasn't gone gold yet... will that CD be free, and sent to all customers who bought Uplink, or just those who bought it in a certain time, or what?  Thanks.  
Rookie One
level1
level1

Postby Rookie One » Sat Nov 10, 2001 10:38 pm

A cool argument for a system builder program at the very least:  with more add-ons and varied ways to secure systems, Introversion could have a contest to make the most secure system!  And then a follow-up contest to break the system.  ;)  
Icepick
level5
level5

Postby Icepick » Sat Nov 10, 2001 11:06 pm

a specially made moding system would be cool, some kind of program release by introversion that allows you to create your own bits and bobs.
And i dont think the details on who gets the bonus cd are clear yet
Kuroji
level1
level1

Postby Kuroji » Sun Nov 11, 2001 6:57 am

No matter what you put together, it'd be bloody easy to hack if you've got the time.

Case in point: Hacking banks in the demo version, or doing (half of) the mole mission; I'd finish that pseudo-mission, but there's simply not enough space on my gateway... the easiest way you could make a hard-to-hack server is doing like the Uplink bank or the gov't server does, and put in voiceprint authentication without putting the admin's name anywhere. Then you've got to hack them - repeatedly - while trying the phone number of everyone in the world alternatively with the attempts.
Indeed.

Return to “General”