Poll: Windows or Linux?

Anything and Everything about Uplink

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, Chris, Icepick, Rkiver

Icepick
level5
level5

Postby Icepick » Wed Nov 07, 2001 12:06 pm

you have some good points, but i dont personally have any problem changing drivers.
Dont get me wrong, i despise microsoft, and would be more than happy to use Linux, but, as you pointed out, i do use my computer to play games alot, and for programming (although im sure lnux has appropriate programming tools as well).

Anyway, in the end, it all boils down to vanity...i just like the way XP looks ;)
Astromarine
level2
level2

Postby Astromarine » Wed Nov 07, 2001 1:15 pm

well, why didn't you say so? http://www.themes.org

;)
Icepick
level5
level5

Postby Icepick » Wed Nov 07, 2001 2:20 pm

:biggrin:
Talesin
level4
level4

Postby Talesin » Thu Nov 08, 2001 8:06 am

Man.. this thread is depressing. Should have let it sink, but couldn't bear to without putting in my own two cents. ;)
Lessee. Linux, Linux, Linux, Win98, WinNT4, Linux, Win98, Linux, Win95. Wanna breakdown of that? Knew you did. ^_^

Linux
--
Athlon-700 (Slot A) (1.5GB RAM)
P-MMX 233 (512MB RAM)
Cyrix 200MX (128MB RAM)
P-133 (128MB RAM)
P-90 (80MB RAM)

Win98
--
Athlon 1.4G (512MB RAM) <What a waste of processor power.. but windoze needs it to run without bogging>
Athlon-850 (Slot A) (512MB RAM)

WinNT4
--
P-MMX 200 (256MB RAM)

Win95
--
P-90 (64MB RAM)

As you can see, I had to shift the beefier processors over to the Win98 side of things 'cuz most of the rest (which Linux runs happily with) go into minute-long boot times. Impatient, aren't I? :biggrin:

WinXP.. well, I hated it since Whistler and that may have swayed me. But I tossed it on a spare 3GB HDD and ran it for a while on the 1.4G. Ended up having to stop myself from hurling the drive out a plate glass window, and just being satisfied with formatting it a few times, and writing differing binary patterns (and random strings) all over it so it'd be obliterated. Then snapped the CD-R I wasted on it in half. Get the feeling I don't like it? I mean, I LOVE the fact that they finally expunged the last of the 16-bit code out, equating to higher processor efficiency. But the Steel Fist of Micro$haft just isn't comfortable going so deep into my applications and hardware.. no matter HOW much window dressing you use for lube.
Yetipants
level1
level1

Postby Yetipants » Thu Nov 08, 2001 9:24 am

i like windows 2000.
Icepick
level5
level5

Postby Icepick » Thu Nov 08, 2001 12:52 pm

lol, get the feeling you dont like Microsoft either Talesin
Backlash
level0

Postby Backlash » Thu Nov 08, 2001 1:04 pm

Iv get my sys on a dule boot win98se/winxp pro/Suse 7.somthing with partison magic (and a big hdd) it works really well!! :biggrin:
Karma is Karma
GnuVince
level1
level1

Postby GnuVince » Fri Nov 09, 2001 12:09 am

I have a question for XP'ers: can you remove SCSI and USB support from your kernel because you don't need it?  On XP, can you install it without the GUI, because all you'll need is a SSH account?  Can you install it on P75 with 16 Megs of Ram and run a SSH server, a web server and route the cable connection throughout the rest of the network?  Must you download your software manually and manually install it (reference to Debian's apt-get function)?  Is it possible to install XP on 50 machines with the same CD which you burnt yourself from an ISO you freely and legally downloaded from Internet?  Can you have a 1800 days uptime (I know it hasn't been out long enough, but could you possibly? a NetBSD box did.  Multiple FreeBSD boxes are doing it : http://uptime.netcraft.com/up/today/top.avg.html )?  Do you have to activate your copy (Warez is illegal by the way. Even Microsoft, the creators of Win XP, say so)?  Do you have a crazy guy who keeps saying "It's _MICROSOFT_ Windows XP!!!" (that's RMS by the way: http://www.stallman.org)?  Do you have the choice to change completely the way your desktop looks like?  And I mean completely.

I use Debian GNU/Linux.
Icepick
level5
level5

Postby Icepick » Fri Nov 09, 2001 12:20 am

hmmmm, lets see
1.why would you want to remove the support for SCSI and US even if you didnt need it, i cant see the point
2.I dont even know what SSH is, unless its an abreivation for something so obvious it slipped my mind.
3. Yes you can route a cable connection through a whole network
4.yes i do have to download my software manually, i wouldnt want something do it automatically.
5.wouldnt know, never tried :biggrin:
6. According to Microsoft, WinXP can run indefinatly (not sure if i believe them though)
7. I dont have any crazy guy who keeps saying "It's _MICROSOFT_ Windows XP!!!"
8. Yes i do have the choice to totally change the way my desktop looks, i manually downloaded and installed a program to let me do it

There we go, i think thats everything
let me know if i missed anything
GnuVince
level1
level1

Postby GnuVince » Fri Nov 09, 2001 12:48 am

Quote: from Icepick on 11:20 pm on Nov. 8, 2001[br]hmmmm, lets see
1.why would you want to remove the support for SCSI and US even if you didnt need it, i cant see the point
2.I dont even know what SSH is, unless its an abreivation for something so obvious it slipped my mind.
3. Yes you can route a cable connection through a whole network
4.yes i do have to download my software manually, i wouldnt want something do it automatically.
5.wouldnt know, never tried :biggrin:
6. According to Microsoft, WinXP can run indefinatly (not sure if i believe them though)
7. I dont have any crazy guy who keeps saying "It's _MICROSOFT_ Windows XP!!!"
8. Yes i do have the choice to totally change the way my desktop looks, i manually downloaded and installed a program to let me do it

There we go, i think thats everything
let me know if i missed anything

1. The point?  Do you have a skidoo suit even if you live in California, don't ever go where there's snow?  

2. SSH: Secure SHell.  A way to access a remote box with an encrypted protocol.  Like telnet, but encrypted.

3.  And the rest?  On a Pentium 75? With 16 Megs of RAM? I don't think so

4.  Let's say I want a C compiler.  With Debian, all I have to do:
    - apt-cache search 'c compiler' and it gives me gcc - The GNU C Compiler, so I remember the name gcc
    - apt-get install gcc -> Will download gcc, its possible dependencies and will install. That's it.

5.  Works with Debian.  You are even encouraged to do so.  And no, you can't do that with XP, that's what product activation is for.

6.  According to Bill Gates, we will never need more than 640 kb of RAM.

7.  We do.  Though we could flush him sometimes ("It's GNU/Linux, not Linux!!!!!!!!!!!!!!").  Annoying.  Was just to make the Linux guys laugh

8.  Can you download Enlightenement, Blackbox, Window Maker, KDE, Gnome, Sawfish and their respective themes to change your window appearance?  Do you have more than one widget kit?  We have GTK+, QT, Motif, LessTif, Xlib, etc.  GTK+ and QT are the most popular and are completely themable.  And GTK works with Directfb ( www.directfb.org )

And you missed my pool party.  So you gotta go jump in a pool of beer!

(Edited by GnuVince at 12:13 am on Nov. 9, 2001)
Icepick
level5
level5

Postby Icepick » Fri Nov 09, 2001 12:53 am

a pool of beer!!!
COOL!!
*dives in*

oh yeah, as for #6, well thats because Bill Gates is an Idiot, and thats why i have a plan to assasanate him :biggrin: (i wish).

Anyway, my mate has copies of pretty much every version of linux, so im thinking of getting copies and dual booting Linux(not sure which one) and XP, since i use my computer for games alot.

(Edited by Icepick at 11:54 pm on Nov. 8, 2001)
Yetipants
level1
level1

Postby Yetipants » Fri Nov 09, 2001 1:15 am

oh yeah, linux is good too
GnuVince
level1
level1

Postby GnuVince » Fri Nov 09, 2001 1:18 am

Here's my suggestion for a distro:
Newbie: SuSE 7.3
You know how to use the CLI: Debian.
Icepick
level5
level5

Postby Icepick » Fri Nov 09, 2001 1:20 am

cool, i'll try one of them then, when he sends me the copies that is.
bartof
level0

Postby bartof » Fri Nov 16, 2001 5:51 am

Quote: from Icepick on 12:38 am on Nov. 6, 2001[br]Jack, have you ever used XP???
its great, and its been proven to be totally invisible on the net (for now)
Now i hate Microsoft more than most people, but, as much as i hate to admit it, XP is pretty good

Invisible on the net??? beg pardon??? after running 3 various installs of XP on various machines, I have found that NONE of them are "invisible on the net" (even after installing Zone Alarm)... next time you have a minute, take a look at port 5000, which appears to be running a web-browser
hmmmm........ SAY WHAT?????

Return to “General”