Love the game, but a few things bug me

Anything and Everything about Uplink

Moderators: bert_the_turtle, jelco, Chris, Icepick, Rkiver

Lowendrach
level0

Postby Lowendrach » Sat Oct 13, 2001 6:44 pm

I love the demo and I've already ordered the full game, but a few of my friends have brought up some issues.

The first is the weird IP system this game uses. Expanding IP addresses by going from the current 255.255.255.255 max to 999.999.999.999 max doesn't make sense, because the later system isn't very efficiant, bytewise. I would suggest making the max IP address 1024.1024.1024.1024 - that way you wouldn't have to alter any of the preset IP addresses, but you would have a more realistic system.

The other guy says the game is a lame copy of an old BBS game. This might be fairly close to old BBS games (I wouldn't know) but since he thinks this game is lame, he might be beyond help, heh. Does anyone know what old BBS game he's referring to, and maybe know any reason why he might like uplink more?

Thanks, Lowendrach
bork
level0

Postby bork » Sat Oct 13, 2001 7:26 pm

I imagine there's a good reason for sticking to the current 32-bit address system.  I don't think thatthey'll ever run out of fake IP addresses, even if it goes world-wide and becomes multiplayer,  since it allows 1,000,000,000,000 different combinations.  I imagine if it's really necessary, IPv6 type 128-bit addresses can be used.

Your friend may be talking about Hackarama, which you can get here; though it was fun at the time, so was LORD, and I would rather play Uplink.   I know there was at least one other BBS game, but that is the one that I've played before.  It seems kind of silly to call evolution a lame copy though, since all games evolved from the text-based ones. :)
Lowendrach
level0

Postby Lowendrach » Sat Oct 13, 2001 7:48 pm

You don't get it, they didn't stick to the current 32 bit address system! Rather, they came up with a system where IP addresses can and are between 0 and 999 - that isn't an ANYBIT address system. It just kinda looks stupid. What I'm suggesting is that the makers of uplink change the IP range from 0-1023, that way they can keep all the "cool" IP addresses like 401.304.911.666 or whatever, but it won't look silly to people who actually know what bits and bytes are.

The number of combinations was never an issue, and it confuses me how you could be so far off the subject that I brought up.

Thanks for the info on the BBS game though.
bork
level0

Postby bork » Sat Oct 13, 2001 7:55 pm

Hey, it confuses me too.  I misread what you were suggesting, sorry :)
Lowendrach
level0

Postby Lowendrach » Sat Oct 13, 2001 7:58 pm

Oh yeah, I see how you could be confused now, sorry. I messed up on my first post anyway, I suggested having 1024 be the max rather than 1023. Oh well.

Thanks for putting up with me.
ReaperSMS
level1
level1

Postby ReaperSMS » Sat Oct 13, 2001 9:22 pm

Going from what I've seen in the savefiles, IP's are stored as straight ascii strings, so h4ck.D4.pL4N.3t would technically be valid =P
TacKat
level1
level1

Postby TacKat » Sat Oct 13, 2001 9:50 pm

If we're going to be complaining about the IP addresses, we might as well say something about the fact that your gateway memory only uses a pseudo-hexadecimal system.
Lowendrach
level0

Postby Lowendrach » Sat Oct 13, 2001 10:14 pm

The gateway memory, modem speed, high CPU prices, etc don't really bother me. They might be alternate reality, but at least they make some sort of sense. IPs ranging from 0-999 don't really
sibn
level1
level1

Postby sibn » Sat Oct 13, 2001 11:10 pm

Of course it's not technically very realistic.  But neither is the security in place, if you can point'n'click your way in with a few seconds to spare.  Or bounce connections by clicking a representation of where a system resides.

Or for that matter, that Gateways in this game are not what Gateways in real life are, or that Memory in this game is not what it is in real life.

The whole game is definitely *very* unrealistic.  Can we agree on that?  If so, can we also agree that no matter how unrealistic it is, it's still a helluva lot of fun to play?  :)

I believe that 0-999 is unrealistic.  But that doesn't mean we have to change it, either.  ALTHOUGH, if the addresses are ascii strings, we're dealing with a system that could represent millions of addresses in a single bloc, including a., b., ab., and so on.
I just don't see why it's i big deal, is all.  No offense or anything.  :)
Ever wake up with the feeling that they're out to get you?  Well, it's not paranoia if they really are out to get you:
http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/dictionary?va=paranoia
Lowendrach
level0

Postby Lowendrach » Sun Oct 14, 2001 1:05 am

It doesn't matter sibn. Who cares about realism? I just want the game to make sense. The Gateways, Memory, Bouce GUI, etc make sense given a very high tech cyberpunk world. This is set in the future after all, so these are moot points.

Of course the security isn't at all realistic - it should be more difficult to break, harder to make money in real life, there would be more competetion with other agents, etc. In general, you would have less power than you do in the game, but this is true for most games, so it's a moot point.

The .999 addresses DON'T make sense though, because they're just bad computer science no matter what the setting. It's a cosmetic thing, meaning that the only downside to making a nod to realism is the time required to improve it.

I don't see what the big deal is either. I was just listing a few things that bug me. I've already bought the game, and I don't care if they ever change the IP addresses. So uh, no offense taken.
Phydeaux
level0

Postby Phydeaux » Sun Oct 14, 2001 1:57 am

Actually, my number one complaint regarding silly unrealisms is the fact that you don't need an account on a box you plan to bounce through. Just like the 000-999 IP thing, this is bad computer science, any way you slice it.

Unlike the 000-999 thing, this has gameplay ramifications. It's my only real complaint about this game. There's no real feeling of building up an 'access network' you can use. Then again, I only have the demo ATM.
Talesin
level4
level4

Postby Talesin » Mon Oct 15, 2001 6:29 am

A couple things.

The 0-999 system is kind of a GOOD thing. I'd agree with going 0-1023 (stick with the base-8 to give at least some link to a standard computing count-base), as it does establish a seperation from reality. Both establishing it as a 'future' setting, and giving a kind of reassurance that none of this is actually going out to the outside world. Scared the hell out of one of my technophobic friends when he thought I really *was* in a bank, until I explained that 505.27.112.782 was not a (currently) possible real IP address, with TCP/IPv4.

I'd also agree with building up your network of bounces. It's kind of silly to be able to go through ANYONE's network, and just spice in your own boxen in between to act as cutpoints.. it would make the game a lot more fun to have to build up and insert new usernames and passwords into systems, which would eventually degrade and get purged if their access was too high.

Personally have been doing the no-life thing, working up to a dual 200Turbo rig in the demo, maxed memory and L10-modem, conn analyzer, bypassers, and all that good stuff... going to start going on my own runs just to add spice from the 'steal data/delete data(abandon)/change academic standing' routine I've fallen into.
sibn
level1
level1

Postby sibn » Mon Oct 15, 2001 7:06 am

And, IPV6 does not feature dotted-quad addressing.  I don't remember how many sections each ipv6 address has, but if it's 4, it looks like this:

17af::2015::82bc::0013
Ever wake up with the feeling that they're out to get you?  Well, it's not paranoia if they really are out to get you:
http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/dictionary?va=paranoia

Return to “General”