Buying online...

Anything and Everything about Uplink

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, Chris, Icepick, Rkiver

Katsuragi
level0

Postby Katsuragi » Wed Sep 19, 2001 8:54 pm

Hi!

I didn't read all of the posts on this board, but took a look at the ones I found that deal with ordering, so I think this hasn't been discussed before.
Since Uplink will (IMHO) mainly be bought by people who use the net regularly, why not try selling it online?
Living in Germany myself, I'd hate having to wait for the game to be delivered on a CD. Companies like streamload.com already offer systems to sell "downloadable" content. Alternatively, it would probably be possible to incorporate a key-code system, where you pay for a "code" to unlock the game that you download separately.
This would definitely be my preferred form of buying (did it with Anarchy Online, and that was a 600Mb download :-) ).

Anyway, just a thought.

Katsuragi
Chris
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff

Postby Chris » Thu Sep 20, 2001 7:40 pm

Its a good idea and we have considered it, but the main problem is the technical issues of allowing the download.  ie.  The customer enters his credit card number, then gets to download the file.  You have to protect that file from pirates, but what if the customers modem shuts down half way?  What if the persons computer blows up after download?

They are all solvable issues, but for now it is much easier to ship a CD.  Besides, you won't get the packaging if you order online, so you'd be missing out ;)

Delivery to Germany won't take very long - a few days at most.  It will be worth the wait.
GnuVince
level1
level1

Postby GnuVince » Fri Sep 21, 2001 1:50 pm

How long would it take to get a copy in Canada?
Mugsy
level0

Postby Mugsy » Fri Sep 28, 2001 4:09 am

Yes, I'd like to get this to Canada as well.. whats the deal!

Oh, one thing that I noticed in the demo, although it was my own damn fault, I accidentaly closed all my links to the servers you start with, since the close buttons were partially visible behind another window. I know I'm stupid for doing this, but I think there should be a way to safeguard them from being deleted, or possibly get them back if you do something silly...

anyway, I've only just started the demo, but its amazing so far - much more fun than the plethora of 3d graphics games that are in the stores these days. Its good to see a game driven by design rather than by eye candy. ( not saying it looks bad tho :)

congrats!

Mugsy
programmer
Barking Dog Studios
Tom
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff

Postby Tom » Fri Sep 28, 2001 9:20 pm

All copies within the UK are sent 1st class, and air-mail to the rest of the world. Provided that US/Canadian Customs don't examine your CD, you should get it within a week. What I can assure you, is that we'll send you your copy the same day that we receive your order!

I'm glad you've enjoyed the demo - wait until you play the full game ;)
mahldcat
level1
level1

Postby mahldcat » Fri Sep 28, 2001 10:32 pm

are you going to be burning this to CDR, or were you going to have this pressed? What would you do if you had some big game company notice this, and offer to buy the rights to it?  <grin>....
Tom
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff

Postby Tom » Thu Oct 04, 2001 1:18 pm

Initial production is on high quality branded CDR's. We've tried these out in lots of machines, and they read very well - we also run a md5 file check on each CD burned, to make sure that there are no errors.

Once we've got some cash coming in from world pay, we're going to have a glass master made and several thousand CDs pressed. That will cut down production time considerably! :)

As for offers to buy the rights - that depends how good the offer is ;)

Return to “General”