Twenty years of Uplink

Anything and Everything about Uplink

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, Chris, Icepick, Rkiver

SomeHacker
level1
level1

Twenty years of Uplink

Postby SomeHacker » Fri Oct 01, 2021 3:29 pm

Uplink was first released twenty years ago (the post). Anyone cares?
Gurney Halleck
level0

Re: Twenty years of Uplink

Postby Gurney Halleck » Tue Oct 19, 2021 3:09 am

After 20 years Uplink is still one of my favorite and most replayed games of all time. It’s immersive and frenetic presentation and imagining of the tools of trade and scene for a near future inter-networked world is brilliant and has aged very very well imho. To get an update to this masterpiece on iOS/iPadOS 15 patching version compatibility and allowing Bluetooth/smart connector keyboards without onscreen keyboard in the way would be a dream come true. I still mention this game to friends and colleagues whenever the subject of greatest games of all time comes around and recommend it easily to everyone. Thank you for creating such a creative and immersive hacking masterpiece and I hope that you may choose to keep the spark alive with an update for your diehard iPad fans! ~Gurney H
SomeHacker
level1
level1

Postby SomeHacker » Wed Oct 20, 2021 5:13 pm

Unfortunately, Introversion Software staff doesn't seem to read these forums much anymore (sometimes they do though, but it is when they copy their posts from other platforms here). Contacting them by email doesn't help either, waiting for a few months now (and now I changed my email address and notified them, but it may be missed and I could never see a response).

In 2010, this post has been made. A year later (around the time Uplink actually turned ten years), Humble Bundle sale happened. But this year, there is nothing, unless I missed something.

With these forums being almost abandoned and filled with spam, the websites being permanently deleted (e.g. /uplink points to the main website now, and to download the patch or the demo you need to go to Wayback Machine), and the fact they removed delivery option from their store, I have no feelings on this company in its current state, only memories.

If the game does not work anymore on current operating systems, it may get updated. Otherwise, there is little hope anything would be done to it (though sometimes it happens, e.g. recent Darwinia graphic update beta). I'm unlikely to get a chance to play it, at least in its current state, though.
Gurney Halleck
level0

Postby Gurney Halleck » Mon Nov 22, 2021 6:02 pm

Yeah, it’s been pretty silent and I can’t find any reference to a game preservation update for Uplink either for PC or for iOS. I feel like iOS is the perfect home for this game the way it makes having a futuristic piece of kit like an iPad Pro and using it to subvert the corporate dominance of walled gardens and censorship. Really crossing my fingers for at least a compatibility and external keyboard patch to celebrate 20 years of Uplink. One can dream ^_^=
SomeHacker
level1
level1

Postby SomeHacker » Tue Nov 23, 2021 9:17 am

Gurney Halleck wrote:Yeah, it’s been pretty silent and I can’t find any reference to a game preservation update for Uplink either for PC or for iOS. I feel like iOS is the perfect home for this game the way it makes having a futuristic piece of kit like an iPad Pro and using it to subvert the corporate dominance of walled gardens and censorship. Really crossing my fingers for at least a compatibility and external keyboard patch to celebrate 20 years of Uplink. One can dream ^_^=

It works on PC (however IIRC some people are reporting issues on 4K screens). I'm idling (and talking) on UplinkIRC all the time, and people are coming almost daily, and almost everyone is from Steam, which mean they didn't even have patch 1.6 released in 2011. You can also take a look at the major mods, UplinkOS and Onlink.

As for iOS, Uplink is the only Introversion game ever ported to "mobile" operating systems (and later the Android port was just removed), no idea how much they actually care.

Return to “General”