Where's Wask?

Anything and Everything about Uplink

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, Chris, Icepick, Rkiver

ChasM
level2
level2

Postby ChasM » Mon Jun 18, 2007 2:27 am

I'm trying to learn GIMP 2.2 with no help files installed (no Dev-CD either) so I built it myself.
Actually he's not a WASK, he's a Moonite.
There be Moonites
Boston, on the other hand, is famous for tea parties too.
And Tea Parties
and other stuff too
Viral Marketing = Future Folklore.
Overall, ATHF paid out about $2 Million US (including fines) but received about $120 Million in publicity

Anyway, I'm just an Uplink fan that has discovered DEFCON is great!
Dunno why I'm still in this forum. Maybe be the WASK hunt?
:roll:
(-: Chas.M. :-)
Flamekebab
level5
level5

Re: Where's Wask?

Postby Flamekebab » Fri Sep 10, 2021 7:42 pm

This game randomly popped into my head just now. Whilst coolsi's site is long gone amazingly the Wayback machine has archived wask.exe! The game lives on!
Admittedly I don't have a Windows machine to play it on (how's that Linux port coming, eh?).

Also Googling "Where's Wask?" gives only a single result. How is that even possible?
SomeHacker
level1
level1

Postby SomeHacker » Fri Sep 10, 2021 8:45 pm

Flamekebab wrote:Admittedly I don't have a Windows machine to play it on (how's that Linux port coming, eh?).

But you can use Wine I think, or Windows virtual machine if it doesn't work or has bad performance.

Flamekebab wrote:Also Googling "Where's Wask?" gives only a single result. How is that even possible?

Google won't index long-dead webpages.
Flamekebab
level5
level5

Postby Flamekebab » Fri Sep 10, 2021 9:29 pm

SomeHacker wrote:
Flamekebab wrote:Admittedly I don't have a Windows machine to play it on (how's that Linux port coming, eh?).

But you can use Wine I think, or Windows virtual machine if it doesn't work or has bad performance.

...I was kidding. I just wanted to make a call back to ChasM's post. If I actually wanted to run the executable it wouldn't be all that hard to find a way. Clearly someone needs to port WW? to HTML5 or whatever technology is currently in vogue. Cryptocurrency is probably involved.

SomeHacker wrote:
Flamekebab wrote:Also Googling "Where's Wask?" gives only a single result. How is that even possible?

Google won't index long-dead webpages.

Again, making a joke :mrgreen: . I meant both "how has this two word phrase never come up on an indexable page in nearly twenty years" and "how are people not still talking about the gaming sensation that is Where's Wask?"
SomeHacker
level1
level1

Postby SomeHacker » Sat Sep 11, 2021 9:19 am

Flamekebab wrote:Clearly someone needs to port WW? to HTML5 or whatever technology is currently in vogue. Cryptocurrency is probably involved.

It is weird it is called HTML5, when in fact it is HTML5 + CSS3 + JavaScript. But I have no idea what is the game about, maybe it could work without JS or CSS3.

Not everyone has (access to?) cryptocurrency, so if it would be some pay-to-pay/pay-to-win game, less players will be able to play/enjoy it.
Flamekebab
level5
level5

Postby Flamekebab » Sat Sep 11, 2021 1:04 pm

SomeHacker wrote:
Flamekebab wrote:Clearly someone needs to port WW? to HTML5 or whatever technology is currently in vogue. Cryptocurrency is probably involved.

It is weird it is called HTML5, when in fact it is HTML5 + CSS3 + JavaScript. But I have no idea what is the game about, maybe it could work without JS or CSS3.

Sigh. Again, I am joking. This whole thread is a joke. That's literally the entire point. Try the game and you'll see. It's an ultra-basic bit of silliness. The game could be implemented in a few lines of JS. However it'd be hilarious to implement it in something like Unreal Engine using WebGL (to explain the joke this time: the game has no graphics - it's a text-based thing).

SomeHacker wrote:Not everyone has (access to?) cryptocurrency, so if it would be some pay-to-pay/pay-to-win game, less players will be able to play/enjoy it.

Who are you explaining this for..? If you'd played the game you'd understand that my suggestion was nonsense. Even the joke itself is getting on a bit (a few years back any new tech thing was pitching that it would use the blockchain - even if there was no sensible reason to do so). These days it'd probably be something to do with short-form portrait-format video content. Nerdy technology trend jokes.
SomeHacker
level1
level1

Postby SomeHacker » Sat Sep 11, 2021 3:42 pm

Flamekebab wrote:Who are you explaining this for..? If you'd played the game you'd understand that my suggestion was nonsense. Even the joke itself is getting on a bit (a few years back any new tech thing was pitching that it would use the blockchain - even if there was no sensible reason to do so). These days it'd probably be something to do with short-form portrait-format video content. Nerdy technology trend jokes.

Got it, it is just that places like Steam have a lot of nonsense pay-to-play games made in a few hours, and if I remember correctly it even used to accept Bitcoin.
Flamekebab
level5
level5

Postby Flamekebab » Wed Sep 15, 2021 11:23 pm

You inspired me to record a Let's Play of this gaming classic.
SomeHacker
level1
level1

Postby SomeHacker » Thu Sep 16, 2021 5:58 pm

Already played it though.

On GNU/Linux it runs in DOSBox. However it seems pressing keys to skip things like "FIND THAT WASK" or "5 4 3 2 1 GO!" makes the game behave like they already ended (as in, e.g. pressing enter/return five times will insert a few empty (invalid) guesses). No idea if it is a bug in the game or DOSBox glitch.

Return to “General”