Room Requirements: Minimum Size

(previously 'DEVELOPER') Private forum for registered community members. To register, please visit www.prison-architect.com/register.

Moderator: NBJeff

Navarro
level1
level1

Room Requirements: Minimum Size

Postby Navarro » Tue Apr 12, 2016 8:44 am

In my current prison, I have two rooms with a red, flashing triangular icon. A yard, and a kennel. I can't understand why there's size requirements for these things. If I want to build a 1x1 canteen, why should the game cry about it? If the player wants that canteen to work properly, then they'll make it large enough to fit the required items inside of it. If the player them creates a room and fits the items they require within that room, why should the game again cry about the size not being adequate, in it's opinion? In real life, yards are much smaller than the 5x5 requirement. Maximum Security facilities sometimes have miniature yards attached to each cell, where the prisoner can walk directly into the yard without any form of human contact. You could compare the dimensions of some of these yards to Prison Architect's 2x1 squares, and sometimes even 1x1. How can Prison Architect complain about something which real prison architects regularly do, especially when it makes a lot of sense to do it?

In effect, the game's been programmed to harass the player when the player is only trying to follow their vision. It's immersion breaking, and it's also completely unnecessary.
goodvibesman
level1
level1

Re: Room Requirements: Minimum Size

Postby goodvibesman » Tue Apr 12, 2016 4:51 pm

To be honest you're the first person I've heard complaining about this, and if it ticks you off so much, why not just learn to mod (which is incredibly easy) so you can remove the size requirements?
Navarro
level1
level1

Postby Navarro » Wed Apr 13, 2016 4:30 pm

There's a difference between complaining and endeavoring to bring an issue to the attention of others. The matter is inconsequential, and despite that I have built game mods before, this isn't an example of a situation where I could be bothered. However, if this were my game, and someone pointed such an issue out to me, I would certainly be inclined to correct the issue - and it is an issue. There's no benefit to minimum size requirements, but there is a negative impact to be had. Equally importantly, it just doesn't make sense.

For the developers, this would be a quick tweak. They not only know the code, they wrote it. Seeing as there's no real reason for the limitation, I see no reason not to put my thoughts out there for consideration.
goodvibesman
level1
level1

Postby goodvibesman » Wed Apr 13, 2016 7:41 pm

Just saying not everyone has the same opinion you do so don't expect things that you consider issues to be issues to other people. Again, just mod the requirements away for now if they really bother you that much. If enough people feel the same way you do, then perhaps the developers will feel inclined to remove room size requirements altogether.
Kilyle
level1
level1

Postby Kilyle » Mon Jun 20, 2016 10:27 am

goodvibesman wrote:To be honest you're the first person I've heard complaining about this, and if it ticks you off so much, why not just learn to mod (which is incredibly easy) so you can remove the size requirements?

"Why not just learn to mod?" is just as patronizing as it sounds. It prevents people from actually considering the issue at hand. Why are we even suggesting any features at all if we could just mod them in ourselves?

I agree that it would be nice to be able to make oddly-shaped rooms. Like, there are times when one little square makes it impossible to put a room in a given space in my prison, even though there'd be more than enough total space to have a spacious area. Of course, this also fits in with the annoyance of bathroom doors killing my Canteen setup (why can't the game recognize that I might want people to be able to pee in private? It may not be realistic prison stuff but it annoys me to not be able to let them. Especially when other rooms handle in-room amenities just fine).

I like the general cell space setup. There's a minimum (which you can bypass with a late-game or high-money research item), but after that minimum (which is barely enough to hold all the pieces you require), you get bonus effect for having larger-than-necessary cells.

This could work with the other areas as well. Maybe there's a minimum size for a canteen to work, but if you have enough room to hit the second category, then besides just the mechanical benefits (more area for prisoners to attend to their needs without crowding or queues), the prisoners get a higher/faster level of satisfaction while in that room, and/or have a lower chance of getting disgruntled and acting out.

Return to “Community Members”