[Suggestion] Remove Forestry

(previously 'DEVELOPER') Private forum for registered community members. To register, please visit www.prison-architect.com/register.

Moderator: NBJeff

Pursanator
level0

[Suggestion] Remove Forestry

Postby Pursanator » Wed Aug 12, 2015 12:36 pm

Forestry. I never use it, why? because it "prison architect". Sense when does a real prison have tree growing around it to cut down to gain money. I don't mind if it stays but it take away the feels of a 'scary' prison. :idea:
bananastalktome
level0

Re: [Suggestion] Remove Forestry

Postby bananastalktome » Wed Aug 12, 2015 2:11 pm

Maybe instead of a Forestry, logs can be imported similarly to the way steel is (though hopefully with the option to choose the steel-to-wood import ratio or something).
herkalurk
level0

Postby herkalurk » Wed Aug 12, 2015 7:04 pm

I use the forestry to make money. You get a 50% profit on just planting trees, and then selling the logs from it. I don't have a workshop in my prison. The gardeners plant trees, then the workman cut them down, and move them to export. That's it. I make a couple thousand per day on just exporting logs.
YMS
level1
level1

Postby YMS » Wed Aug 12, 2015 8:29 pm

You sure do make money with it. But what exactly does it have to do with a prison? You buy trees, your staff grows and chops trees and carries it to the exports zone. No prisoners involved. Could be any other business.
blackdwarf
level2
level2

Postby blackdwarf » Wed Aug 12, 2015 9:10 pm

A prison needs distance between the outer fence/wall and the inner fence/wall, to prevent thrown contraband. Some of this land can be used for buildings, additional walls, etc.

But, if there is some of that land that remains undeveloped, then it makes sense to put it to use. Growing trees and selling the wood is a way to do that.

Just like other businesses, don't let resources go to waist.
YMS
level1
level1

Postby YMS » Sat Aug 15, 2015 10:27 am

Hmm, sounds reasonable. I added this as a tip to the wiki now, so that people get the idea.
5hifty
level4
level4

Postby 5hifty » Sat Aug 15, 2015 8:27 pm

Yeah I get this - I mean I always understood the licence plates - that's a prison trope - but Forestery is pretty random. I could use the space to grow vegetables, store gym equpiment for the local P-12 or rent out he space to dirt bikers to make a track and it would all be just as related to prisons.

I think it would be more logical if we had more control over purchasing and ordered in raw materials instead of making them onside, and we had a host of trope specific end products would could make with different pros and cons.

Return to “Community Members”