Major lag with a massive prison

(previously 'DEVELOPER') Private forum for registered community members. To register, please visit www.prison-architect.com/register.

Moderator: NBJeff

Gnuthad
level0

Re: Major lag with a massive prison

Postby Gnuthad » Mon Sep 14, 2015 12:18 am

punchball wrote:My computer is pretty top of the line with a Intel I7-4790k and EVGA GTX 970 with 8gbs of 2133mz ram, so I doubt it my system, although it could be the hard drive I have the game files saved too which might be the issue so if I throw the prison onto my ssd it may help

WyDavies wrote:I don't think extra RAM will help (unless you've only got 2Gb. Upping to 4Gb will help everything, not just PA). It is a 32 bit process, which means it uses a maximum of 2Gb (or 3Gb if it is large address aware). I've got it running right now on a +1000 inmate prison where I've bought a lot of extra land (planning for around 3000 cells with quite a few extra-large luxury cells) and it is using 1.45Gb of memory.
I've got 24Gb and it is all over the place in terms of run-speed. At meal-times really hurts and drops to less than 1 fps. And the moment "Eat" period is over it suddenly goes super-smooth.
To confuse things even more, once I got over 1000 cells it started running faster (except at meal-times).

punchball, your RAM is not the issue and, as correctly pointed out by WyDavies above, the game itself is not even able to use all your memory. Your memory size (and speed) are absolutely fine, as is your CPU and - quite likely - your hard drive also. I trialled the game on one of my SSDs when I found massive lag in the deployment screen and even with an i7-3770K @ 4.1GHz and 32G or 2133 RAM, the change to the SSD did nothing. The game is still in alpha and I see this lag as something which will be looked at later on as the game progresses towards beta or even full release.
VoiD88
level5
level5

Re: Major lag with a massive prison

Postby VoiD88 » Mon Sep 14, 2015 6:54 am

Gnuthad wrote:The game is still in alpha and I see this lag as something which will be looked at later on as the game progresses towards beta or even full release.

You do realize that PA had its last Alpha version in August? There's going to be a live on stage event at the end of September which will basically be the release event.
In other words: The Alpha is already over.

That said, IV announced that they would continue to work on the game even after release, so it's not completely impossible that they will find some way to optimize the code some more at some point. Just don't hold your breath until then ;)

Return to “Community Members”