Has anyone noticed more 'front door' escape attempts?

(previously 'DEVELOPER') Private forum for registered community members. To register, please visit www.prison-architect.com/register.

Moderator: NBJeff

lugaru
level3
level3

Has anyone noticed more 'front door' escape attempts?

Postby lugaru » Thu Aug 06, 2015 4:55 pm

Just curious... it is something that did not really happen much, prisoners always seemed to either want to tunnel out or riot and take control of the place.

Now I've noticed large groups (5 to 15) will just try to rush out of the prison, banging up doors on the way. I had an escape like this at the start of my prison (about 3 people got away) and I figured it was because I was careless... but now that I have an armed guard, made the entrance my 'dog pen' and have a few people posted (and it is Employee only) I have seen a few more (totally doomed) escape attempts. Is this something that used to happen a lot and I had not noticed, or is it a new behaviour?
oliverjpo
level1
level1

Re: Has anyone noticed more 'front door' escape attempts?

Postby oliverjpo » Fri Aug 07, 2015 6:02 pm

Yeah man ive also noticed this, like 20-50 of my prisoners will just make a run for it out of nowhere destroying everything in there way, luckily i have a lot of security on the outskirts of my prison so noone usually escapes but they definitely try to much more using that method
rabid squirrel
level1
level1

Postby rabid squirrel » Mon Aug 10, 2015 12:06 pm

Have you tried having more jail doors between freedom and your prisoners? I guess your exit consists of two doors. Use one or two more (with servos of course) somewhere on the pathways. I don't know if it will have an effect, but that is what I'll be testing soon, because I too find some morning escape attempts too optimistic.
Ketamine
level1
level1

Postby Ketamine » Mon Aug 10, 2015 9:03 pm

Yeah this will generally only happen when you have only 1 or 2 doors between your inmate's area and the outside world. Try adding more, and always use road gates.

Remember how one of the devs explained it in a video. Any time there is a direct path for a prisoner to escape, they will go into escape mode. So if you had 2 doors and they were both open at the same time, any prisoner who could path it directly, would try.

I just created a prison 2 days ago and I've had no escapes through the front door in 89 'days' of the prison running, 120inmates all maxsec. An inmate would have to go through a minimum of 5 large jail doors before reaching outside (in my prison).
Last edited by Ketamine on Tue Aug 11, 2015 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rabid squirrel
level1
level1

Postby rabid squirrel » Tue Aug 11, 2015 12:15 pm

My issue turned out to be that I started on a large map, which is pretty broken due to TimeWarpFactor. Needs rise and are satisfied at double rate, which means by the time they wake up they are pissed off about a max HYGIENE need and try to escape. If I wake them earlier to avoid it (at 4), then they start needing sleep at 16 o'clock, but in the game sleep can't happen before 23.

Of course it is most noticeable with max sec who are more prone to misbehave when unhappy.
Last edited by rabid squirrel on Tue Aug 11, 2015 5:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jailer
level2
level2

Postby Jailer » Tue Aug 11, 2015 2:59 pm

Is it maybe based on the freedom need?
In the latest alphas we can make tiny rooms and have them in permanent lockdown - that would cause a breakout attempt imo.
Otherwise they might have tweaked the escape behaviour..
Ketamine
level1
level1

Postby Ketamine » Tue Aug 11, 2015 7:21 pm

rabid squirrel wrote:My issue turned out to be that I started on a large map, which is pretty broken due to TimeWarpFactor. Needs rise and are satisfied at double rate, which means by the time they wake up they are pissed off about a max HYGIENE need and try to escape. If I wake them earlier to avoid it (at 4), then they start needing sleep at 16 o'clock, but in the game sleep can't happen before 23.

Of course it is most noticeable with max sec who are more prone to misbehave when unhappy.

I had the same problem with sleep, just now after creating a new large map. I wanted to use the TimeWarpFactor since it takes inmates longer to travel, but their sleep need was getting out of hand.

So I found a nice middle ground and solved it by using 'TimeWarpFactor 0.7500000'. This means 6 hours of sleep, and my regime looks like this:

Now there's absolutely zero problems now with 'needs' (90 maxsec inmates).. maybe give it a shot in your prison. But like I said in my other post, you need to wait about 2 sleep cycles for it to normalize and have the needs settle down from where they were.
sonic_m
level1
level1

Postby sonic_m » Wed Aug 12, 2015 3:15 pm

Ketamine wrote:Any time there is a direct path for a prisoner to escape, they will go into escape mode. So if you had 2 doors and they were both open at the same time, any prisoner who could path it directly, would try.

I found airlock entrances to be incredibly useful with this issue. I usually build this setup: Airlock-like Entrance
The event of the two doors opening at the same time is pretty rare and during sleep I activate a timer, so logistics aren't overly restricted.
lugaru
level3
level3

Postby lugaru » Wed Aug 12, 2015 6:09 pm

I can see that helping... in my case it is currently a fence with a gate, then a large fenced in area with dog pens where all traffic moves through, and that dog pen has additional doors... one leads into 'reception' for new inmates and one is kind of an 'employee tunnel' door that allows work men, cooks and such to access the rooms they need quickly. I might add a little bit more security and give it a shot but I think 3 doors would have to be open simultaneously for prisoners to get any bad ideas.

Return to “Community Members”