[Suggestion] The Legal Update

(previously 'DEVELOPER') Private forum for registered community members. To register, please visit www.prison-architect.com/register.

Moderator: NBJeff

lugaru
level3
level3

[Suggestion] The Legal Update

Postby lugaru » Mon Aug 03, 2015 2:06 pm

So I have a tendency to think of updates in terms of adding systems... like The Gang Update or the Escape Update, etc. In the past I've suggested a couple... such as a big expansion on mental health or a big expansion to injury, disease and status effects. Last time I was playing, I was obsessed with legal issues... mostly because a visitor died in my custody which made me feel like crap.

Short Version: When bad things happen, you will get sued. If you have too many pending lawsuits, you will be shut down. Paying cash and having lots of lawyers helps get rid of them.

-------------- Long Version ---------------------------

Lawsuit Each lawsuit is a bill for an ammount of money that will not go away on it's own. You can choose to ignore it, but if you have a large number (10? 15? 20?) lawsuits pending then you will have 24 hours to settle a lot of them or trigger a failure state.

$5,000: A prisoner dies in your custody. The chance of a lawsuit equals their re-offending rate divided by two. So a prisoner with a 2% re-offending rate would have a 48% chance of somebody bringing a lawsuit. A prisoner with a 70% re-offending rate would have a 15% chance of a lawsuit.

$5,000: A guard dies while on the line of duty: the penalty is small because we know they risk their life, but it is also obligatory because you create their environment and dictate how much danger they are in.

$10,000: A staff member dies. Whenever a cook gets stabbed, a worker never leaves the cell he is repairing or your psychologist gets Hannibal Lectered during a one on one session, you will be sued for a lot.

$15,000: A visitor, volunteer or delivery man dies. If somebody gets murdered in the visitation room, or that visiting Monk gets caught in a riot, or somebody decides to teach the teacher a lesson, then you will be in serious trouble.

Lawsuit Screen: Imagine an icon next to the evaluation with Scales representing legal. When you hit it, you are taken to a screen with a bunch of rows. For each lawsuit you have, one of those rows will be filled up showing the amount you owe and the cause for the suit. For extra credit an image of the dead character would be cool. When you click on one, they give you a 'settle' dialogue box, where you pay money to make it disappear.

New Lawyer Functionality Each lawyer has a small chance of reducing a lawsuit by 20% once per day. That means he will make lawsuits go down by anything between $1000 and $3000 for a 'big one'. This makes settling a lawsuit cheaper, and if a lawsuit is reduced to zero it moves to the settled history tab. This can be as simple or complex as the game designers want... as in it can happen statically or they might actually need a 'documents room' and a program in order to settle those lawsuits.

Other gameplay ideas Several mistakes in the game could come with an additional lawsuit as a cherry on top, such as executing an innocent prisoner. Also some of your cruel and unusual choices may come with a small chance of getting sued, such as long term solitary confinement, bad food, poor quality cells or letting gangs run sectors.

Thoughts?
Mikeldiablo
level2
level2

Re: [Suggestion] The Legal Update

Postby Mikeldiablo » Thu Aug 06, 2015 1:08 am

lugaru wrote:Other gameplay ideas Several mistakes in the game could come with an additional lawsuit as a cherry on top, such as executing an innocent prisoner. Also some of your cruel and unusual choices may come with a small chance of getting sued, such as long term solitary confinement, bad food, poor quality cells or letting gangs run sectors.

Thoughts?

Executing innocent prisoners is already a problem when done above the legal threshold. An upfront $50k fine is paid, your death row pool empties and present death row inmates immediately get transferred away from your prison.

As for the long-term solitary, you mean a haebas corpus? I think it would involve the prisoner, the warden or similar official and an outside official in a parole room. I think that the prisoner is released if it ends in his favour. It would have to take into account the prisoner's danger, to others or himself (I think that solitary for protective purposes isn't grounds for a haebas corpus). I'll look it up.

Return to “Community Members”