Suggestion: Staff Improvements

(previously 'DEVELOPER') Private forum for registered community members. To register, please visit www.prison-architect.com/register.

Moderator: NBJeff

PABadger
level0

Suggestion: Staff Improvements

Postby PABadger » Wed Jul 15, 2015 6:23 pm

Hey, all. Just had a few ideas that I've seen kicking around, and wanted to pull together.
The staff members in this game are basically moveable furniture. They have no names, no personalities, and no investment for the player. The prisoners are closer to human beings than your average guard, so who should we be rooting for? IMHO, they (the guards and staff) need improvement. So, to that end, here's some ideas for how it could work. Please note, not all of these ideas need to be implemented; they are organized into what I perceive as a rising level of difficulty.

The basics
1. More staff models and faces. Let's get a greater ethnic variety.
2. Give staff names. If nothing else, at least give them a name so I can keep track.
3. Give staff members traits to make them more individual. For guards, this might be tough (can take more damage), fast (can run faster), brave (better able to hold their ground), glass jaw (out cold in two hits), coward (runs like hell when SHTF), eagle eye (more likely to find contraband in a search), etc. For workmen of various kinds, skilled (do their jobs faster), energizer bunny (slower rate of exhaustion), lazy (greater rate of exhaustion), etc.
4. Once staff have names and traits, give them a profile page to keep track of age and time in service. Older staff members will eventually retire, requiring new staff be hired to take their place.
5. Staff works a twelve hour shift by default.

Enhanced Staff
Basically, this would be a checkbox on the opening screen that you could check if you wanted a tougher experience, similar to gangs. Most of this is game-changing stuff that would take a long time to implement. Fair warning; since I'm currently a supervisor of other people, some of these may be a little cynical or jokey, but I'm serious about all of them.
1. Staff gain a needs and morale system; if needs are not met, morale suffers. When morale suffers, the worker moves and works slower. If morale drops too low, the staff member quits.
2. Staff gain a work schedule for shifts. Player assumes direct control over schedule and hours through a bureaucratic unlock, for example, sending staff to rest before they become exhausted. If a staff member is getting too burned out, send him or her on holiday!
3. Staff need facilities to take care of needs, including hunger, thirst, hygiene, and toilet.
4. Through bureaucratic unlock, player assumes direct control of staff pay, setting salaries and giving raises.
5. Through bureaucratic unlock, player can provide commendations to staff members for jobs well done. Only two can be offered in a certain time period, so keep track of who is doing a good job. As an added bonus, you could put in a method whereby a staff member who has done good things and gets passed up for commendation takes a hit to morale.
6. Some staff are beyond help. Add the hidden traits "grumbler" (morale will drop no matter what you do) and "bad apple" (brings down the morale of everyone nearby), and play spot the mole!
7. High rates of staff turnover will have big hits on morale. New workers will come in with lower morale when lots of staff have been laid off.
8. Morale improves when staff are away from work or on break. Staff on holiday get a huge morale boost!

Anybody else want to wade in and improve the masochism? ;)
Jailer
level2
level2

Re: Suggestion: Staff Improvements

Postby Jailer » Thu Jul 16, 2015 11:22 am

Intention of the devs seems that staff is faceless/nameless - maybe with exception of the warden.

The game seems to be all about the prisoners and not about the staff.

That being said:

PABadger wrote:1. More staff models and faces. Let's get a greater ethnic variety.
I second that.

PABadger wrote:2. Give staff names. If nothing else, at least give them a name so I can keep track.
3. Give staff members traits to make them more individual. For guards, this might be tough (can take more damage), fast (can run faster), brave (better able to hold their ground), glass jaw (out cold in two hits), coward (runs like hell when SHTF), eagle eye (more likely to find contraband in a search), etc. For workmen of various kinds, skilled (do their jobs faster), energizer bunny (slower rate of exhaustion), lazy (greater rate of exhaustion), etc.
4. Once staff have names and traits, give them a profile page to keep track of age and time in service. Older staff members will eventually retire, requiring new staff be hired to take their place.
Don't really want that - staff moves around / has too much attrition to care / micromanage. For me it's Prison(er) architect, not Staff / HR architect.

PABadger wrote:5. Staff works a twelve hour shift by default.
Shifts etcetera have been suggested many times before. I think in one of the alpha videos they said that it is implied that guards etc. go home and are automatically replaced by nightshift.
Although shifts distract from the prisoners and focusses on staff more, it does allow for interesting situations (staff changes during riots etcetera) - hard to implement a system that would work and not disrupt the core game-flow I would suspect; now you have control over regimes (for each security level) and can change regimes at will; if you also have to take staff changes into account then this will become a planning nightmare and players might just set a regime once and never change it. But having said that, it would be interesting if there is a workable and most importantly a simple solution for this.

Return to “Community Members”