Evacuation/Better ways of protecting staff/Last resort

(previously 'DEVELOPER') Private forum for registered community members. To register, please visit www.prison-architect.com/register.

Moderator: NBJeff

KailanTheFanboy
level1
level1

Evacuation/Better ways of protecting staff/Last resort

Postby KailanTheFanboy » Tue Jun 30, 2015 7:02 pm

There should be more ways of protecting staff members, such as evacuating them from the main building(s) in case of a riot or fire, possibly a safehouse. Or, evacuating prisoners that are either in the middle of a fire or caught in the midst of a newly-implemented gang brawl. Unarmed staff members should be able to call for help, as well as prisoners. In case of a mass riot or mass gang brawl, there should be a last resort to manually call in the chivalry without losing your prison due to failure conditions. It would first evacuate staff, if possible, before calling in either a more powerful, possibly armed riot team, or soldiers/national guard type thing.
lugaru
level3
level3

Re: Evacuation/Better ways of protecting staff/Last resort

Postby lugaru » Tue Jun 30, 2015 9:20 pm

Hopefully gangs will lead to some of these being developed, since most people complain that the game is 'too easy' but then they also have like 500 hours meaning 'yeah, it should be too easy after that much practice'.

Personally I would love to see some responses to disasters, and the idea of a 'safe room' is excellent. Basically whenever there is a riot or fire, all non guard personnel makes their way to a room and it is your job to make it very safe (sprinklers, double gates, armed guard, etc).

I'm also looking forward to alarms that guards interact with, so a guard can hit an alarm when a fight kicks off to summon all nearby guards. It is one extra degree of simulation that requires no micromanagement beyond setting up the alarm in the first palce.
Axios
level2
level2

Postby Axios » Tue Jun 30, 2015 11:36 pm

In over 350+ hours, never experienced a fire nor a big riot.

Now I'm skilled and I search for an harder challenge....

+1 for safe paths, safe rooms, bigger riots....
Pogmothoin
level2
level2

Postby Pogmothoin » Wed Jul 01, 2015 4:42 am

The AI for staff in general needs to be revised, I've seen some staff members (usually gardeners) get chased half way around the prison by one prisoner intent on beating them into a pulp, while a train of a dozen guards follows the prisoner a few squares behind (like a clip from Benny Hill), it only eventually ends when the gardener gets cornered.

I've also seen workers actively try to enter, re-enter a room where a brawl has broken out, only to ultimately either get caught in it, or draw the prisoners outside into a more open area where more prisoners get involved.

I agree there should be a panic button you can press, where all non security related staff/visitors/teachers run to the closest security room and remain there until you release the panic button.

Regarding Gangs, I'm not sure they'll start many riots unless you actually get 2 big gangs fighting each other. 5 gang members will quickly deal with any guard they get the jump on, so they are less likely to go on a rampage, the longer prisoners fight and the larger the group involved the more likely a riot will start.

@Axios If you've been playing 350+ hours and never had a riot or a fire, then you haven't been pushing the boundaries of what you can get away with in a prison (your prisons are either too small, or your prisoners have too much free time, or you over feed them, it's supposed to be a prison, not a holiday camp).

Riots and fires are some of the best game play to be had, watching 2 prisoners start fighting, that get others involved so that it turns into 10 prisoners fighting, those prisoners start a riot that quickly escalates into 100, then 300 inmates running around with weapons attacking every staff member they can find is a serious challenge to deal with especially if you have less than 100 guards in a prison of more than 500 inmates. And improves how you build prisons vastly. Same goes for fires, you don't learn to deal with or protect against them until you've had a big one.

Try playing a map on constant intake, or a building a prison for only max sec inmates, only feeding them once a day. My current prison has over 800 inmates with only 120 guards, the 8 workshops are constantly running for 14 hours a day, and I only feed them once. If I initiate a lockdown for a few hours and my prisoners don't get fed it's almost a guaranteed riot. Gangs may break my prison, but it depends how volatile they are, considering that my max sec wing has cells for 200 inmates it's going to be interesting.
Axios
level2
level2

Postby Axios » Wed Jul 01, 2015 8:33 am

In my actual prison, no freetime / work for max sec, but I have only 200 inmates. The fps drop to 20 if I have more inmates.

So maybe with performance improvements I will have more inmates and then more fun.....

Return to “Community Members”