Door servo confusion

(previously 'DEVELOPER') Private forum for registered community members. To register, please visit www.prison-architect.com/register.

Moderator: NBJeff

alex tyler
level0

Door servo confusion

Postby alex tyler » Mon Jun 22, 2015 4:21 pm

I've seen this loads, people think the door servos only work with remote doors, can it be made clearer that door servos work with all door types?
Leto2626
level1
level1

Re: Door servo confusion

Postby Leto2626 » Fri Jun 26, 2015 2:21 pm

I have a remark about this. I can see no reason to pick remote doors above jail doors when they are connected to a door servo. Remote doors are more expensive but they have the downside of not being opened when no one is sitteing behind the door control thing. That issue cause more than 50% of my deaths in my jail because I was busy building stuff and prisoners piled up behind the doors (this happens when a new shift for the remote door control is needed but he's stuck behind one of teh doors). When you use a jail door with a door servo, the guards at the door can still open it.

So for me it makes no sense having remote doors in the game, they cost more and are causing deaths.
bnarmz
level1
level1

Postby bnarmz » Fri Jun 26, 2015 3:58 pm

Agree. If anything...the remote doors should be stronger then the solitary doors. They could be something similar to the doors on a vault...where as you can only open them by electricity simple because they are too heavy for the guards to open them.

I usually have two guards stationed in the room with the "CCTV monitors and door controls", just to ensure that someone is always operating them.
Leto2626
level1
level1

Postby Leto2626 » Sat Jun 27, 2015 11:53 am

bnarmz wrote:
I usually have two guards stationed in the room with the "CCTV monitors and door controls", just to ensure that someone is always operating them.

This doesn't seem to work for me, they just stay there and don't go to the machine. I think the job is always assigned to someone that has no specific duty?
Pogmothoin
level2
level2

Postby Pogmothoin » Sat Jun 27, 2015 2:24 pm

No it doesn't always work, but if you have someone stationed there they do get priority to take a seat at a machine over another guard not in the same room. You are best to limit security rooms to 2 or 3 max try to have all your cctv and door controls in them. I usually have one security that handles the deliveries, and all the entrances/exits to prison, another to cover all the min/protected sec, and another for normal/max, one door control in each is enough for roughly 50 doors. If you have you main travel routes as unlocked then each console can handle a lot more since it's rare that a travel a non travel route door will need to be remotely opened.

For remote doors I use them to restrict the flow into areas that are dangerous. Like max sec/armourys/workshops/deathrow. Those are the places where a prisoner can easily get a weapon, kill a guard, and steal their keys to escape. Remote doors prevent them from getting too far before re-reinforcements get there. Also a note about remote doors, you want them hooked up to more than one door control, just in case one of the consoles isn't being operated, at least the other should still be opening doors for anyone who wants to pass.

At the OP, I think servos can be used with all doors, a bit pointless having them on staff doors though, you are as well using a jail door at minimum if it has a servo on it. If teachers/visitors are constantly trying to path through staff doors, switch it for a jail door with servo. You want a servo on every door that is jail/solitary/remote/gate, except cells, the only cells you might want servos on are deathrow with remote only doors. If a guard has to go open a door for someone else and it isn't opened from door control that seriously drops the efficiency of your guards, and they are busy enough. Like I said I have 3 sec rooms with a door control each, all the doors in the prison are opened from there, and I haveon average more than 800 prisoners in my prisons.

Return to “Community Members”