[Suggestion] a33: Showers, mail room and other enhancements

(previously 'DEVELOPER') Private forum for registered community members. To register, please visit www.prison-architect.com/register.

Moderator: NBJeff

Chris_W
level0

[Suggestion] a33: Showers, mail room and other enhancements

Postby Chris_W » Tue Jun 02, 2015 12:32 pm

Hello there!

I love how prisoners can have luxury furniture in their cells now. It gave me tiny, easy ideas though.

Showers

Part 1:
If you set "shower" in the regime, prisoners should only hurry to the shower room if their cells don't have a shower already. They should still be woken up and use the closest shower including the one in their cell.
This puts an end to overcrowded shower rooms and keeps the prisoners more separate from each other if you go the extra mile to give them their own showers.

Part 2:
If a drain is placed under a shower/toilet, it should suffice to keep the room water-free. In the a33 release video, Chris uses them that way already, but they actually don't help unless you completely surround the shower head/toilet tile with them. This means 1 shower head surrounded by 8 drains - you can't really do that in a 2x3, 3x3 or 4x4 cell and it is rather counter-intuitive.

Part 3:
Drains have a display bug. If you place a drain and put a chair, radio, tv, light, or other 1x1 objects on it, they "fight for dominance", usually with the drain winning and being the only thing you can see. The other object hides below it. The drain should always be the one below the other object (same with lights, light should be the top object).

Mail Room

Satchels should be reused. ATM the mail room fills up with them. How about keeping 4 per table in the room, and have them decay over time and disposed of in a bin and reordered when broken?

Library

Part 1:
My library is flooded with unsorted books, even if all the shelves are full already, much like the satchel thing. How about the books do the same thing? Full shelves mean stop ordering, books decay and get disposed of in a bin when broken, then new ones are ordered to replace them?

Part 2:
How about integrating the 1x1 book shelf in the system? Spawn it empty, place anywhere (cell, common room, yard, canteen), keep them stocked by librarians (or if zoning prohibits, guards)? This could lead to the literacy need being fulfilled even in eternal lockdown, giving the tiny bookshelf a real use.

Cell items

I like the thought of placing a table and chair in a cell, but there is an easier way without a computer. Classroom table-chair-combo. It is smaller and does the job just fine of providing a surface to read mail and eat from. This frees one tile to be used for a sofa or sofa chair, so we can further upgrade the cell with comfort. Comfort is the one item my prisoners usually scream for in a33. We need a little room and the prisoners need to know how to use these to get their comfort fulfilled.

Psychiatrist

Office:
Why does the inmate sit behind the doc's desk? Why don't we add a couch to the room where the inmate lies down on, and the doc sits in the chair?

Common Room:
Why do inmates have to use chairs? Please also count couches and couch chairs for slots in the group therapy.

Schedule:

Part 1:
As soon as I make my own schedule, the system throws "not enough teachers" in my face way sooner than expected. I have 4 psychiatrists now and it only lets me plan 6 things for them. I have 2 "work" slots 4 hours long each, it should let me put eight 2-hour-programs in there, not six.

Part 2:
How about a 1-hour item called "Prisoner evaluation" that lets you "uncover" the "???" trait some prisoners come with? They could be sentenced to it whenever they first act up at all.

Part 3:
When an inmate has a very dangerous trait and goes to behavioral therapy, how about adding a slight chance for him to lose a violent trait when he completes the program?

Work room items

How about this - if we can have the inmates feel better in a cell with items, why not have a similar effect in the work rooms?
What I'm thinking is, workshops featuring windows and a radio. Windows could upgrade almost any room really, while radios make sense in workshops, laundry, cleaning cupboard, canteen, kitchen, laundry and the like.. anything that isn't based on speaking. Classrooms would not benefit from a radio, but from tiny bookshelves instead. So would Churches. Kennels and Armorys could benefit from staff room equipment as well, these three relaxation zones could even refill the bar faster with more things to do. Security could afford a radio, too. Break rooms could afford a TV, maybe even a fridge (break room popsicle bonus!). Have the money we throw into rooms do something for us by fulfilling needs and refilling relaxation bars quicker.

Speaking of.. Armed Guards dont return to the Armory when their patrol is over due to deployment schedule saying so. They just keep standing there, intimidating others and not relaxing while they can. Tiny fix.

Well, so much for my 2 cents, or three fiddy, whatever it is :)

Have fun,
the other Chris
Threehorns
level3
level3

Re: [Suggestion] a33: Showers, mail room and other enhanceme

Postby Threehorns » Tue Jun 02, 2015 3:49 pm

Things I agree with:
- Showers: Part 1-3
- Workroom Items
- Schedule: Part 1 & Part 3

Things I find Controversial. (neutral with a nah, or some other solution probably)
- Mail room
- Library
- Cell Items

No
- Schedule Part 2 ... you have Phone taps and Confidential Informants to figure out the ??? and as speedy as the second they arrive.
- Psychiatrist ... chairs are fine. its already possible to add a table in the common room during meetings.
Inge Jones
level2
level2

Postby Inge Jones » Tue Jun 02, 2015 3:54 pm

Actually I believe it's only psychoanalysis that makes use of couches. Modern psychiatric sessions are just sitting up, as normal.
Chris_W
level0

Postby Chris_W » Tue Jun 02, 2015 9:20 pm

@ Schedule Part 2: Some of them never get revealed until they are killed (when they were snitches or ex prison guards etc). The CIs so far never unearthed a "???" for me, nor did a phonecall. Currently I got about 10 of those running around, and they are in there for quite some time already. I lack a means to find out about those guys.

@ Chairs / couches in Psych Office: I'm fine with either, as long as we can give the prisoner something to sit on that is not the doc's chair, really.
MMZ>Torak
level2
level2

Postby MMZ>Torak » Tue Jun 02, 2015 9:25 pm

Chris_W wrote:@ Schedule Part 2: Some of them never get revealed until they are killed (when they were snitches or ex prison guards etc). The CIs so far never unearthed a "???" for me, nor did a phonecall. Currently I got about 10 of those running around, and they are in there for quite some time already. I lack a means to find out about those guys.

Think of the Coverage % as a chance to reveal their reputations. The higher the coverage the greater the chance you will reveal the ??? rep.
Delling
level0

Postby Delling » Wed Jun 03, 2015 11:07 am

Chris_W wrote:The CIs so far never unearthed a "???" for me, nor did a phonecall. Currently I got about 10 of those running around, and they are in there for quite some time already. I lack a means to find out about those guys.

Just to be clear, you do know that you need to activate the CI and wait for him to be brought to the Security room before he actually provides you with any information?
The CIs %- points increases with time, in my current prison I have 3 100% CIs, I call one of them in at the same time the new batch of prisoners arrive in the morning and get rid of all the ??? in one go. 8)

Also each Phone Tap station can only listen to one call at a time, if you have one such station connected to dozens of phones the guard might be listening to another call and miss the ??? guy.
Hecthor Doomhammer
level1
level1

Postby Hecthor Doomhammer » Tue Jun 09, 2015 11:53 am

I am just going to quote the parts I agree with

Showers

Part 1:
If you set "shower" in the regime, prisoners should only hurry to the shower room if their cells don't have a shower already. They should still be woken up and use the closest shower including the one in their cell.
This puts an end to overcrowded shower rooms and keeps the prisoners more separate from each other if you go the extra mile to give them their own showers.

I agree. From my understanding, even if you have Shower Heads in your cells, prisoners will only use them during lock up and free time (or permanent lock up)

Shower Part 2:
If a drain is placed under a shower/toilet, it should suffice to keep the room water-free. In the a33 release video, Chris uses them that way already, but they actually don't help unless you completely surround the shower head/toilet tile with them. This means 1 shower head surrounded by 8 drains - you can't really do that in a 2x3, 3x3 or 4x4 cell and it is rather counter-intuitive.

Yes. Currently if I have a showerhead in a cell, I put the drain underneath the door, but it still floods the rest of the room. Realistically, if there were electrical items in there too, it could cause some issues.

Library Part 2:
How about integrating the 1x1 book shelf in the system? Spawn it empty, place anywhere (cell, common room, yard, canteen), keep them stocked by librarians (or if zoning prohibits, guards)? This could lead to the literacy need being fulfilled even in eternal lock down, giving the tiny bookshelf a real use.

Absolutely agree. Right now it's just a less useless item because of Cell Grading, but beyond that it still serves no purpose.

Psyc Part 3:
When an inmate has a very dangerous trait and goes to behavioral therapy, how about adding a slight chance for him to lose a violent trait when he completes the program?

I agree. You would think that especially with the "calming" effect of the Chapel, Behavioral Therapy, especially for those that have a violent trait like Volatile, would have an actual benefit from this program on a permanent level.

I see a little issue with this
Psyc Part 1:
As soon as I make my own schedule, the system throws "not enough teachers" in my face way sooner than expected. I have 4 psychiatrists now and it only lets me plan 6 things for them. I have 2 "work" slots 4 hours long each, it should let me put eight 2-hour-programs in there, not six.

I think it all depends on what you wish to do. But more importantly, how many offices and common rooms you have.
You may have 4 Offices, bur if you only have 1 Common Room, then only 1 Psyc at a time can use that for the AA meeting.
Just see if you can mess around with the Scheduler in your Programs. I personally never just start programs from the default screen at all since that Scheduler was introduced.
Jailer
level2
level2

Postby Jailer » Tue Jun 09, 2015 1:13 pm

What happened to 'One suggestion per post?'
The Kitchen Sink
level0

Postby The Kitchen Sink » Wed Jun 10, 2015 12:53 pm

Id like to see certain items have a negative effect on cell value

a prisoner for example would not be likely to want a cell with a CCTV camera inside it if any choices existed for ones that didnt have them. I cant think of any other items off hand that would have a similar negative value if installed, except maybe inward facing windows (on the basis that such a window would allow people to check what is occurring inside a cell more easily) - but thats a less clear cut matter
Gikgik
level1
level1

Postby Gikgik » Wed Jun 10, 2015 6:58 pm

Good ideas, most of them.
_Thrawn
level0

Postby _Thrawn » Fri Jun 12, 2015 5:17 am

Yes, please fix the shower issue. If you have a shower time sloted in regime then the inmates should use the shower closest to them.
tjn
level0

Postby tjn » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:15 am

Completely agree with most of those suggestions, especially regarding the showers, mail room and library overflow problems, and seating issues (no one uses the couches—if anything, they should be preferred over chairs for being more comfortable). Windows boosting environment where ever prisoners stay for a while would be nice too (e.g. work, canteen, common room, chapel).

Chris_W wrote:Library

Part 1:
[clipped]

Part 2:
How about integrating the 1x1 book shelf in the system? Spawn it empty, place anywhere (cell, common room, yard, canteen), keep them stocked by librarians (or if zoning prohibits, guards)? This could lead to the literacy need being fulfilled even in eternal lockdown, giving the tiny bookshelf a real use.

I want to point out that this would simultaneously solve the problem some others have reported of death row inmates having unfulfillable literacy needs (since they can't leave their cells, as I understand it). It would also mirror how many real prisons work (at least in the movies :P ). Have library workers push book carts around past the cell doors, with inmates inside coming to the door and getting a book (even through it, if it's of a barred type) if they have a literacy need and no bookshelf, or an empty bookshelf. The libraries could then have distribution zones like the laundry rooms and kitchens.

Personally I think inmates should stock their bookshelf with at least one book even if they don't have a literacy need at the time the cart comes by. This would help keep pressure off the precise timing of the book carts, as well as ease the excessive competition with spirituality they often seem to have on their free time. To avoid this making the literacy need too easy to keep fulfilled, however, make the stocking effectively temporary, with an inmate needing the book to be replaced with a new one every so often. (After all, who gets literary fulfillment from reading the same thing over and over again?)

Return to “Community Members”