[suggestion] penalties for blowing your CIs' cover

(previously 'DEVELOPER') Private forum for registered community members. To register, please visit www.prison-architect.com/register.

Moderator: NBJeff

ThePirateKing
level1
level1

[suggestion] penalties for blowing your CIs' cover

Postby ThePirateKing » Fri May 29, 2015 3:03 am

The Confidential Informant system is powerful because prisoners are willing to be CIs fairly frequently, so you can recruit lots of them and cycle them out before any of their suspicion levels get too high. The problem I see is that there's very little penalty for blowing a CI's cover and getting them killed. Even if they die, that's only one death for the day, and won't lead to a game-over unless there are other serious problems in your prison.

My suggestion is for certain events, such as a CI's cover being blown or a CI being murdered, to lower the likelihood that any prisoner will be willing to become a CI over a long period of time. The idea is that everyone is going to hear about these kinds of things happening; word travels fast in a prison. And because of that, the guys sitting in solitary would rather wait out their punishment than become a CI, because your ability to keep them safe is in question. This change would increase the player's culpability for CI deaths moreso than the deaths of other prisoners, which makes sense to me because the player is using the CIs for their own purposes, and there should be greater risk inherent in that.
MMZ>Torak
level2
level2

Re: [suggestion] penalties for blowing your CIs' cover

Postby MMZ>Torak » Fri May 29, 2015 3:04 pm

It's been my experience that there are 1 of two outcomes for a CI:

1: They get released after their sentence is up, generally before they reach 100% coverage (depending on their security level).

2: They get their cover blown and get moved to PC and then they get released after their sentence is up.

If your CI's are getting murdered it's probably some other problem with your prison.
ThePirateKing
level1
level1

Postby ThePirateKing » Fri May 29, 2015 8:13 pm

That's kindof my point, there's not much of an excuse for allowing it to happen, so it should be really punishing if it does.
MMZ>Torak
level2
level2

Postby MMZ>Torak » Fri May 29, 2015 9:13 pm

ThePirateKing wrote:That's kindof my point, there's not much of an excuse for allowing it to happen, so it should be really punishing if it does.

Well, it does depend on security level to an extent. Minimum security prisoners generally don't hang around long enough to get 100% coverage, so they don't get used as often. The higher the security level, the longer they are around, the more likely they are to get to 100% coverage. I've been tending toward letting them all marinate until they have at least 90% coverage before even using them. Then those that do get 100% coverage wind up getting used most often, ergo they tend to get their covers blown. But hey, that's what PC is for, right?

I don't know if the game pays attention to when you call in your CIs. For instance, does their suspicion rise higher faster if you pull them from the canteen during mealtime that it would if you pull them out of bed in the middle of the night?

Maybe examining why their cover gets blown might be a better answer. Because as it stands now, it can be a pain to get someone to 100% already. Make us be more careful in using the CI so they don't get blown.

Return to “Community Members”