[Suggestion] After watching the Alpha 33 Video...

(previously 'DEVELOPER') Private forum for registered community members. To register, please visit www.prison-architect.com/register.

Moderator: NBJeff

Catiline
level0

[Suggestion] After watching the Alpha 33 Video...

Postby Catiline » Thu May 28, 2015 6:19 pm

After watching the Alpha 33 video and seeing the idea of cell quality, I started to wonder about the feasibility of creating split (ie. 2 or 4 person) cells. Looking on the Steam Workshop, there are bunk bed mods but none for split cells; is this a hard-coded limit of the game engine?

Personally speaking, I would far prefer to build my prison where single occupancy cells are the reward for well behaved prisoners than things like TVs or personal showers.
lugaru
level3
level3

Re: [Suggestion] After watching the Alpha 33 Video...

Postby lugaru » Thu May 28, 2015 6:22 pm

I'm the same way... I think single cell is the 'best cell' but right now it is the only cell which is simply not realistic. Holding cells allow for a lot of flexibility but they are always a transitional, short term solution and prisoners get assigned out of it all the time.
RedTear
level2
level2

Postby RedTear » Fri May 29, 2015 12:48 pm

lugaru wrote:I'm the same way... I think single cell is the 'best cell' but right now it is the only cell which is simply not realistic. Holding cells allow for a lot of flexibility but they are always a transitional, short term solution and prisoners get assigned out of it all the time.

Uhm.... Yeah. You have single cells and holding cells. What more do you want?
lugaru
level3
level3

Postby lugaru » Fri May 29, 2015 2:31 pm

RedTear wrote:
lugaru wrote:I'm the same way... I think single cell is the 'best cell' but right now it is the only cell which is simply not realistic. Holding cells allow for a lot of flexibility but they are always a transitional, short term solution and prisoners get assigned out of it all the time.

Uhm.... Yeah. You have single cells and holding cells. What more do you want?

It is mostly that shared cells are pretty much the norm in incarceration. Basically what I'm looking for is assigning prisoners to specific beds (or bunks if that ever becomes a thing, although art wise it seems hard). I would like a world where the standard is 2 - 4 prisoners per cell and then solitary cells only for the most dangerous or in some cases the most privileged.

Right now if I build a prison with say 25 4 person holding cells, the AI would go nuts.
RedTear
level2
level2

Postby RedTear » Fri May 29, 2015 2:45 pm

lugaru wrote:It is mostly that shared cells are pretty much the norm in incarceration.

Actualy, its not. In fact, the exact opposite is the law where im from (except if really neccessary in faccillities which have been built before 1977).
A google search also suggests that in great britain a quarter of prisoners has to share cells with someone else, thats 25% so not the norm, and the headlines suggest that the fact that they have to share cells is seen as an outrage.

Thats two countries for which youd be wrong.
MMZ>Torak
level2
level2

Postby MMZ>Torak » Fri May 29, 2015 3:13 pm

I read this post, and didn't really have any input until I saw this Recent Prison Story quite by chance. Notice the pictures of the dorms...
lugaru
level3
level3

Postby lugaru » Fri May 29, 2015 3:16 pm

RedTear wrote:
lugaru wrote:It is mostly that shared cells are pretty much the norm in incarceration.

Actualy, its not. In fact, the exact opposite is the law where im from (except if really necessary in facilities which have been built before 1977).
A google search also suggests that in great britain a quarter of prisoners has to share cells with someone else, that's 25% so not the norm, and the headlines suggest that the fact that they have to share cells is seen as an outrage.

Thats two countries for which youd be wrong.

I may be wrong, heavily influenced by pop culture and 'worst case scenario reporting' which is easily replicated with holding cells (prisons turning gymnasiums into shared living spaces) but I find it hard to believe that 2 person cells are that uncommon. I may do some research later, but I do understand why in the real world and game world they would be undesirable (inciting violence or illegal cooperation) but also why they are used (sharing a toilet and other facilities cuts back on space). Ultimately I default to luxury cells for everyone (a shower per cell is not a huge cost) but I'm surprised it has not become an option in game to bunk people up.
RedTear
level2
level2

Postby RedTear » Fri May 29, 2015 3:25 pm

I guess in the US it would be more common. And in movies, series and such, we mostly see american prisons - they are trying hard enough to shake the idea of being based on american prisons as it is if their update videos are any indication ;)
MMZ>Torak
level2
level2

Postby MMZ>Torak » Fri May 29, 2015 4:01 pm

RedTear wrote:I guess in the US it would be more common. And in movies, series and such, we mostly see american prisons - they are trying hard enough to shake the idea of being based on american prisons as it is if their update videos are any indication ;)

This might be helpful
Robbedem
level2
level2

Postby Robbedem » Sat May 30, 2015 11:26 am

In Belgium because of prison overpopulation, a lot of prisoners have to sleep with 3 in 2 person cells. (2 in bunk bed and one on the floor)
Inge Jones
level2
level2

Postby Inge Jones » Sat May 30, 2015 12:19 pm

In England, a lot of our cells that were designed for single occupancy have had extra beds put in, because the prison system cannot afford the extra cost of building more cells. It is known to be neither ideal for the prisoners (because they lack privacy) nor the officers (as there are increased incidents). So to allow us as prison governors to save money by doubling up, with the associated gameplay risks, would add an element to the game.

Return to “Community Members”