[Suggestion] Sexuality need

(previously 'DEVELOPER') Private forum for registered community members. To register, please visit www.prison-architect.com/register.

Moderator: NBJeff

RedTear
level2
level2

[Suggestion] Sexuality need

Postby RedTear » Mon May 25, 2015 3:50 pm

No, im not proposing anything rapy.
Sex is a need that is very important though, not fulfilling it will make people very pissed.
How could this look like in Prison Architect though? Well, obviously for prisoners with a spouse there would be the option of a nice room adjacent to visitation.
The library could offer softcore magazines, with additional hardcore magazines as contraband.
And my lawyer has those great papers which allow me to employ those medical assistants which, if it wherent for my lawyer, would be called prostitutes by people.
Id imagine magazines wont do much more than keeping the need in check, maybe distract from other needs for a very brief timeperiod - shorter after taking care of things then it actualy took. But keeping the need somewhat in check is important as a critical sexuality need boost heat by a lot.

The other options are expensive, but might give a soothing effect for quite a while. For rapists maybe just very few hours, for others it could be quite a bit more...
NBJeff
level1
level1

Re: [Suggestion] Sexuality need

Postby NBJeff » Mon May 25, 2015 6:09 pm

I doubt highly that this would make it to the game
RedTear
level2
level2

Postby RedTear » Mon May 25, 2015 11:09 pm

NBJeff wrote:I doubt highly that this would make it to the game

After hearing them mention the hierarchy of needs repeadetly in the update videos im greatly suprised that noone seems to talk about that over here.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Tue May 26, 2015 8:16 pm

RedTear wrote:
NBJeff wrote:I doubt highly that this would make it to the game

After hearing them mention the hierarchy of needs repeadetly in the update videos im greatly suprised that noone seems to talk about that over here.

It has been mentioned before. Repeatedly. The conversation generally devolves in a predictable manner.

xander
RedTear
level2
level2

Postby RedTear » Wed May 27, 2015 1:09 am

Well, at least the search didnt turn up anything. I dont know how those conversations went, but the same problem applies to the death penalty with people constantly wanting to single handedly decide to kill their inmates.
metalbunny
level1
level1

Postby metalbunny » Wed May 27, 2015 10:52 am

Afaik the concept of conjugal visits is strictly an American thing, and pretty sure I heard them say on TV once that it doesn't actually exist. And like Xander said, this has been brought up several times before and nothing constructive ever came of those discussions.

But nevertheless, it's not something that is appropriate for this kind of game. You're basically asking for prostitution, which is illegal in many countries, and the way you suggest it implemented would prevent it from being an optional part of the game (like the death row is). That alone means you're asking for something that requires us, as players, to facilitate something that raises not just a ton of morale issues, but would also make a lot of players uncomfortable and unwilling to play the game.

Games that have sexual content (short of the XXX games) gets away with it by having it be completely optional, not in anyway required, and usually censored (the Sims method) or just implied (the BioWare method). If you put in a need for sexuality, fulfilling the need seizes to be an optional part of the game, and that's a problem.
RedTear
level2
level2

Postby RedTear » Wed May 27, 2015 12:18 pm

metalbunny wrote:Games that have sexual content (short of the XXX games) gets away with it by having it be completely optional, not in anyway required, and usually censored (the Sims method) or just implied (the BioWare method). If you put in a need for sexuality, fulfilling the need seizes to be an optional part of the game, and that's a problem.

Okay, that makes sense, ill still pick apart some details just for fun but i agree that this way doesnt make sense.

metalbunny wrote:Afaik the concept of conjugal visits is strictly an American thing

It seems to exist here in germany, too. Extremly rare it seems but google mentiones a few court cases about it and waiting lists for it.

metalbunny wrote: But nevertheless, it's not something that is appropriate for this kind of game. You're basically asking for prostitution, which is illegal in many countries,

As are multiple faith prayer centers. Youd probably be killed for that in many countries.
Kunovega
level1
level1

Postby Kunovega » Sun Jul 05, 2015 4:10 am

metalbunny wrote:Afaik the concept of conjugal visits is strictly an American thing, and pretty sure I heard them say on TV once that it doesn't actually exist. And like Xander said, this has been brought up several times before and nothing constructive ever came of those discussions.

It's not even close to being "an american thing" and it does exist, not just in the US but all over the world. If anything its more restricted in the US than in many other places; here is a list:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conjugal_visit

In the US conjugal visits are not allowed in federal prisons. State prisons are governed by different rules in each state. In other countries (just as in the various states in the US), the rules regarding conduct, length of time, etc are widely varied.

But nevertheless, it's not something that is appropriate for this kind of game. You're basically asking for prostitution, which is illegal in many countries, and the way you suggest it implemented would prevent it from being an optional part of the game (like the death row is). That alone means you're asking for something that requires us, as players, to facilitate something that raises not just a ton of morale issues, but would also make a lot of players uncomfortable and unwilling to play the game.

Conjugal visits in the places where it is allowed are typically restricted to family (wives/children), so it has nothing to do with prostitution. It's just private family time. The most common places in the US where conjugal visits were allowed often have rooms with kitchens set up so wives would bring food and prepare a meal. Its incentive for prisoners to behave and to keep family together so they have a reason to be reformed when they get out.

Canada for example:
All inmates, with the exception of those on disciplinary restrictions or at risk for family violence, are permitted "private family visits" of up to 72 hours' duration once every two months. Eligible visitors, who may not themselves be prison inmates, are: spouse, or common-law partner of at least six months; children; parents; foster parents; siblings; grandparents; and "persons with whom, in the opinion of the institutional head, the inmate has a close familial bond". Food is provided by the institution but paid for by the inmates and visitors, who are also responsible for cleaning the unit after the visit. During a visit, staff members have regular contact with the inmate and visitors

In the UK prisoners do not get on-site conjugal visits but instead are allowed to actually go home for short periods of time. Dangerous criminals or those considered to be a flight risk have this privilege revoked permanently.

Games that have sexual content (short of the XXX games) gets away with it by having it be completely optional, not in anyway required, and usually censored (the Sims method) or just implied (the BioWare method). If you put in a need for sexuality, fulfilling the need seizes to be an optional part of the game, and that's a problem.
[/quote]

sex doesnt have to be mentioned at all. conjugal visits (if put in the game) would simply be part of the family need and it would just be a private visitation chamber instead of an openly public shared one. private visits would fill the family need better than public visits. none of the details need be mentioned at all, or if some description at all is added "private time for a wife to cook a nice meal for her husband". they could even go so far as to require a stove in designated conjugal rooms (stove + visitation table, 1 per private room, no camera)
RedTear
level2
level2

Postby RedTear » Sun Jul 05, 2015 6:50 pm

Kunovega wrote:sex doesnt have to be mentioned at all. conjugal visits (if put in the game) would simply be part of the family need and it would just be a private visitation chamber instead of an openly public shared one. private visits would fill the family need better than public visits. none of the details need be mentioned at all, or if some description at all is added "private time for a wife to cook a nice meal for her husband". they could even go so far as to require a stove in designated conjugal rooms (stove + visitation table, 1 per private room, no camera)

Quite some time since ive posted this. Anyhow, for one thing, have you seen the magazines in the shop? Also, "private time for a wife to cook a nice meal for her husband"? Thats not problematic at all, is it?
Why do we have to explain ingame whats going on?

But frankly, even prostitution i see nothing wrong with - people are constantly talking about the fact that gained jobs are good and losing jobs is bad. I tend to be of the exact opposite opinion, lost jobs are good as it means we have more free time and are still just as wealthy if not more so (since it tends to mean the wealth is now generated automaticly, a machine is taking over), but that would be new jobs - and one of the objectivly most moral professions there is.
lugaru
level3
level3

Postby lugaru » Mon Jul 06, 2015 3:27 pm

I've always said the most tasteful way of doing this sort of thing would be vans set up in a fenced area. That does not go beyond 'sims' levels of acknowledging sex exists... a prisoner and a visitor go in, a happier, more motivated prisoner comes out with the visitor.

If they want to be really funny they can give the prisoner a 'just woohooed' moodlet. :wink:
RedTear
level2
level2

Postby RedTear » Mon Jul 06, 2015 3:49 pm

lugaru wrote:I've always said the most tasteful way of doing this sort of thing would be vans set up in a fenced area. That does not go beyond 'sims' levels of acknowledging sex exists... a prisoner and a visitor go in, a happier, more motivated prisoner comes out with the visitor.

If they want to be really funny they can give the prisoner a 'just woohooed' moodlet. :wink:

In practice though, Just make sure theres no mishap in, well, which family member goes in with him im the first release which has this mechanic... Okay, i wouldnt mind his mother, as long asa they are using protection/BC there is nothing wrong with it but if its his daughter we are really running into issues...

Return to “Community Members”