Laundry funny business

(previously 'DEVELOPER') Private forum for registered community members. To register, please visit www.prison-architect.com/register.

Moderator: NBJeff

foreverska
level0

Laundry funny business

Postby foreverska » Sun May 17, 2015 4:29 am

On my most recent prison I was shooting for a resort feel. I had a row of cells that opened straight into the yard. Maybe that's more like a motel but whatever. As far as logistics was concerned all 13 or so cells were their own demand. Then I had another 27 some odd cells inside a building and it counted them as a single source of demand.

For the longest time laundry refused to give anyone clean clothes. I couldn't figure out why, 14 prisoners "worked" (read: stood around) in there and my cleaning crew was so vast it was generally bored 85% of the day. It finally fixed itself when I enclosed the sea-breeze cells in their own indoor block to fix an airborne Johnnie Walker problem.

I don't know if 14+ "blocks" was too many for the laundry room to figure out or if it refused to path outside (and subsequently refused to do inside as well) but that was a tough find.

Anyone know where this stems from?
arwan
level2
level2

Re: Laundry funny business

Postby arwan » Sun May 17, 2015 5:22 am

not sure if it is related but on one of my recent prisons i also had a very weird laundry problem. i did not have a ton of solo cells like you but i had a few very large ones with over 20 cells per block.

what was happening was no one was getting any clean clothing at all. regardless of the fact that my prison seems to have 2x more uniforms than prisoners. what seemed to have happened was that i (at the time) had 3 washing machines in each laundry with 2 ironing boards, and 6 carts. but all 6 carts had dirty clothing in them, the 3 washing machines all had uniforms already in them (washed) and the 2 ironing boards had stacks of clean uniforms to be ironed on them with a completed stack already ironed as well. this forced my laundry to grind to a halt as no one knew how to put clean uniforms on the table in the room.

ultimately i ended up expanding the number of washing machines, ironing boards and laundry carts in each laundry to help prevent the problem in the future, though dismantling the carts and replacing them fixes this as well. it would be nice if prisoners knew how to take ironed uniforms and place them on the table(s) in a laundry room, or at least on the floor somewhere.
5hifty
level4
level4

Postby 5hifty » Sun May 17, 2015 6:59 am

Easiest way to fix this ATM is to just go around and dump as many random uniforms, and piles of uniforms, both clean and dirty, as you can be bothered doing. New uni's will get brought and the influx normally kick starts the laundry issues. Also, I'm 99% sure that the amount of uniforms is linked to the amount of beds you own, so if you just place a row of 20 or so beds down somewhere, wait a day and then rip them up , there is normally a surplus of uniforms in the prison, which again, can help jump start any problems.
MMZ>Torak
level2
level2

Postby MMZ>Torak » Tue May 19, 2015 1:59 pm

foreverska wrote:On my most recent prison I was shooting for a resort feel. I had a row of cells that opened straight into the yard. Maybe that's more like a motel but whatever. As far as logistics was concerned all 13 or so cells were their own demand. Then I had another 27 some odd cells inside a building and it counted them as a single source of demand.

For the longest time laundry refused to give anyone clean clothes. I couldn't figure out why, 14 prisoners "worked" (read: stood around) in there and my cleaning crew was so vast it was generally bored 85% of the day. It finally fixed itself when I enclosed the sea-breeze cells in their own indoor block to fix an airborne Johnnie Walker problem.

I don't know if 14+ "blocks" was too many for the laundry room to figure out or if it refused to path outside (and subsequently refused to do inside as well) but that was a tough find.

Anyone know where this stems from?

I had a similar problem. I was making Supermax cells and hadn't planned on making them a "block". They were about 20 side by side cells that opened to the outdoors (no hallway) that never got laundry; literally for in game days. Once I built a hallway that connected all the cells, bam, laundry.
foreverska
level0

Postby foreverska » Thu May 21, 2015 7:19 am

The question is whether or not you could build 20 "blocks" inside a building and still get laundry service. I'm pretty convinced it's tied to laundry not wanting to route outside but it's possible 20 blocks is just too many for a single room.
Zombi3HeroBrin3
level1
level1

Postby Zombi3HeroBrin3 » Fri May 22, 2015 1:53 am

try making your cells in large cell blocks and make sure to mark them as cells.the laundry service should be able to figure out that this a cell block and it needs cloths
Jackinator
level1
level1

Postby Jackinator » Sun May 24, 2015 3:10 pm

your cells will work together as a cellblock as long as they are connected via indoors floor (not interrupted through doors). If you want to have a yard in the middle of your cellblock without walls, build a indoor walkway around the yard like this:

c=cells w =wall f=indoor floor y =yard

wcccwfy

Return to “Community Members”