Make Execution room not valid path in everyday activies

(previously 'DEVELOPER') Private forum for registered community members. To register, please visit www.prison-architect.com/register.

Moderator: NBJeff

5hifty
level4
level4

Make Execution room not valid path in everyday activies

Postby 5hifty » Sun May 10, 2015 8:57 am

Basically would there be any way they we could have it that either

A: Death row guys will use a execution room marked as Staff Only
Or
B: Death row guys won't try to access rooms through a execution room

The problem that occurs is:
I have a 2 death row wings connected to a single execution room by long corridors - which means that both wings are treated as one wing by the prisoners - if someone has a parole hearing, or visitation, they will be occasionally be schedualed in the other wing, meaning my prisoners walk the green mile, wonder through the execution room, uses the other wings facility's, and then wonder back.

Now this can obviously be 'fixed' by setting the execution room as staff only until there is an actual execution taking place, but it just seems like the game could do with some of telling prisoner 'yes you are alloud in this room, only when I specifically say' - this 'yes but only when' precedent could also help in a few other situations - 'yes but only when working', 'yes but only when leaving', 'yes but only when being executed'
Last edited by 5hifty on Sun May 10, 2015 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
metalbunny
level1
level1

Re: Make Execution room not valid patching room

Postby metalbunny » Sun May 10, 2015 2:30 pm

Don't think what you're asking can be easily done. If the room was to be off-limits to the DR guys, then they wouldn't be able to go there for their own execution.

From your description it sounds like your problem comes from your design/layout. Without a screenshot I only have to guess, but sounds like you could solve it just be remove the doors that allow the prisoners to go throught it, and just leave a single door facing in a direction not leading straight into your two wings (e,g. a hallway that passes the execution room and connects the other parts of the DR section).
5hifty
level4
level4

Re: Make Execution room not valid path in everyday activies

Postby 5hifty » Sun May 10, 2015 7:17 pm

Eh wouldn't be hard to make it off limits to them UNLESS there was an execution. Its not so much a problem with layout and design, more with how you have to create routes with the sec deployments. I think the greater problem would be solved with some kind of 'wing' selection much like the current way laundry/kitchens are allocated i.e: this is this cellblocks parole room, this is this cellblocks common room, medbay etc etc - this would mean prisoners even tho prisoners could still path there, they wouldn't because they would have no reason too. The layout that Im trying to achieve isn't anything special - simply 2 self contained death row wings that have a common execution room ({death row A}---{execution room}---{death row B}), but they are now joined via the execution room, prisoners from wing A will wonder down the green mile, walk past the execution chair, wonder down wing Bs green mile to use their parole room.
metalbunny
level1
level1

Postby metalbunny » Tue May 12, 2015 4:50 pm

True. I'd love to be able to designate sections to be block A, block B, etc, like in real prisons. Even the grants tells us to build block A, B, C, D, and E, but there is no way to designate anything as such.

Dunno how much that'd hurt the performance with the extra checks, though. But for the sake of lightening the pathing problems I think it's a better solution than having rooms that change state dependent on certain events.
Robbedem
level2
level2

Postby Robbedem » Tue May 12, 2015 7:54 pm

I think the best solution would be to have the execution room be marked staff only and still work. (An execution is a special event anyway, so overriding the staff only for that single prisoner should not be that difficult)
Ric666
level3
level3

Postby Ric666 » Thu May 14, 2015 10:40 am

Do you know for sure that it doesn't work for actual electrocutions if you mark it as staff only?

I'm not sure tbh. Not used it yet but will build the it soon. Completing the rest of my current prison first.
5hifty
level4
level4

Postby 5hifty » Thu May 14, 2015 11:49 am

Ric666 wrote:Do you know for sure that it doesn't work for actual electrocutions if you mark it as staff only?

I'm not sure tbh. Not used it yet but will build the it soon. Completing the rest of my current prison first.

Nope - doesnt work. You get a "Cannot reach a execution room" error
Ric666
level3
level3

Postby Ric666 » Thu May 14, 2015 3:57 pm

Ah right cool. Thx for the info 5hifty. I'll know for the future :)

Return to “Community Members”