[Suggestion] Who killed this guy? and Who did this?

(previously 'DEVELOPER') Private forum for registered community members. To register, please visit www.prison-architect.com/register.

Moderator: NBJeff

metalbunny
level1
level1

[Suggestion] Who killed this guy? and Who did this?

Postby metalbunny » Fri May 08, 2015 11:13 am

Since you can't always watch things happen, and the game only tells you how many have died lately, I find it rather impossible to figure out who killed all the dead guys that inevitably end up lying around my prison.

I'd like the ability to click on a dead body and have a thing pop up telling me who killed him, preferably with a link that points me to that guy so I can punish him for it. Since the game already auto-convicts prisoners for murder, it obviously tracks this, so it shouldn't be too difficult to implement this feature. The same could be used to find the guys that keep breaking stuff, but I find it less important than trying to stop a daily blood bath.

With all the specials (esp the fearless) and legendary strolling around my max sec, dead prisoners is an almost daily occurrence that doesn't seem to have any sensible solution other than chaining the offenders to their bed or sticking them in the can for days or maybe forever. But in order to do that you need to be able to find them, which is where the above functionality comes in.

I'd rather not have to keep freefire on (which really should be re-labeled to "lethal force" since the guards already freely fire the tazers), just to hope that the guards shoot the right guys. And on that note I'd rather like it if the game would tell me if the dead prisoners were killed by guards or another prisoner.
MMZ>Torak
level2
level2

Re: [Suggestion] Who killed this guy? and Who did this?

Postby MMZ>Torak » Fri May 08, 2015 4:23 pm

This is a good idea.

I have a related question.

After a recent dust up in one of my canteens, I noticed some prisoners of an inappropriate security classification in handcuffs in the canteen. (it was a medium security canteen and there were a few guys in max security clothes in handcuffs after the riot). Does the game change a prisoners security classification based on the prisoners actions? Or did these trouble makers somehow find their way there through all the deployment restrictions? I am certain that the pathways are all restricted by security classification.
PayasoIngles
level0

Postby PayasoIngles » Fri May 08, 2015 5:48 pm

Torak I am pretty sure if they kill another inmate they get upgraded to max security, I had my intake set to just medium while I was setting up my prison and noticed I had 9 max guys after a while.
sonic_m
level1
level1

Postby sonic_m » Fri May 08, 2015 6:07 pm

Just my opinion: If someone was able to murder multiple times without being caught, this is your fault. In your prison, you have to make sure that there are no blind spots where people can murder without hesitation.
MMZ>Torak
level2
level2

Postby MMZ>Torak » Fri May 08, 2015 6:28 pm

sonic_m wrote:Just my opinion: If someone was able to murder multiple times without being caught, this is your fault. In your prison, you have to make sure that there are no blind spots where people can murder without hesitation.

I think it is the fault of several things. Punishment not really working, Not being able to move repeat murderers to Death Row, the warning system being a bit slow and not sufficiently accurate in pointing out the offender (I hear tasers pop off and only get to the fight scene in time to see dead prisoners and others in hand cuffs.). Ex-Law Enforcement and Snitches being put into Gen Pop because they come in with an unknown rep (What's up with that? We don't know who the cops and people feeding the system information are? Really?) Fearless, Deadly, Volatile prisoners.

It isn't all inattention by a long shot.
Zombi3HeroBrin3
level1
level1

Postby Zombi3HeroBrin3 » Sun May 10, 2015 12:40 am

MMZ>Torak wrote:This is a good idea.

I have a related question.

After a recent dust up in one of my canteens, I noticed some prisoners of an inappropriate security classification in handcuffs in the canteen. (it was a medium security canteen and there were a few guys in max security clothes in handcuffs after the riot). Does the game change a prisoners security classification based on the prisoners actions? Or did these trouble makers somehow find their way there through all the deployment restrictions? I am certain that the pathways are all restricted by security classification.

I AM SO ANNOYED BY THIS FEATURE I DON'T WANT ANY SUPERMAX OR PROTECTIVE CUSTODY UNLESS I ASSIGN THEM THAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!but to answer your question yes they do auto change sec rating based on what they do but they never go down in sec rating.
sonic_m
level1
level1

Postby sonic_m » Sun May 10, 2015 9:32 am

MMZ>Torak wrote:I think it is the fault of several things. Punishment not really working, Not being able to move repeat murderers to Death Row, the warning system being a bit slow and not sufficiently accurate in pointing out the offender (I hear tasers pop off and only get to the fight scene in time to see dead prisoners and others in hand cuffs.). Ex-Law Enforcement and Snitches being put into Gen Pop because they come in with an unknown rep (What's up with that? We don't know who the cops and people feeding the system information are? Really?) Fearless, Deadly, Volatile prisoners.

It isn't all inattention by a long shot.

All these things you mention are problems, the developers have to solve. It's an Alpha, things tend to be a bit buggy here. Simply adding a ''who killed you'' feature won't solve these problems and for me, it would kill the game. It makes it too easy and unrealistic.
metalbunny
level1
level1

Postby metalbunny » Sun May 10, 2015 9:44 am

sonic_m wrote:Just my opinion: If someone was able to murder multiple times without being caught, this is your fault. In your prison, you have to make sure that there are no blind spots where people can murder without hesitation.

I'm, not saying they don't get caught or punished with the automatic system (the guards are pretty quick on their feet usually when something happens). I'm saying I'd like to know who killed the dead guys laying around sometimes since there is no easy way to tell with large prisons, unless you watch it unfold. The automatic penalty system doesn't cover repeat offenders. Sure they get another 50 years and get stuck in solitary (I think I turned it up to 48 hrs for killing someone), but I want to be able to see if it's "this guy again", and then just permanently lock him up so he don't get a chance to kill again. Especially since often there are several days between someone dying.

If a prisoner is dead, the game stops telling us what their recent misconduct was. If you then have two dead prisoners, and it happened outside the screen, you have no way to tell if the one guy killed the other and was then killed by the guards, or what really happened. Sometimes the game will tell me that someone died, but when I mouse over the message it sends me to an empty spot on the map where there's a few blood splatters, no body, and I'm left with no idea what happened.

All I'm really asking for is information. You cannot effectively run a prison with 500 murderers without knowing exactly who needs special attention to avoid more trouble. Some of my legendaries are the best behaved prisoners I have, and then I have nobodies who like to go berserk every few days. There are multiples with each name once you've played long enough, so having the records say WHO they killed instead of just "murder - 50 years" I don't think is too much to ask. After all, the game can't punish them for a murder unless it knows who they killed.

There is no way to fully prevent prisoners from killing each other in the game. Even with lockdown you still have deaths - esp when they kill the guard that brings them food. But you can't be everywhere at once, and the game really needs a way to properly deal with the "you again" syndrome.

EDIT: Also, the fearless guys don't care about the guards. They're the biggest problem I have, and I have a lot of those guys.
Last edited by metalbunny on Sun May 10, 2015 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
metalbunny
level1
level1

Postby metalbunny » Sun May 10, 2015 9:59 am

sonic_m wrote:All these things you mention are problems, the developers have to solve. It's an Alpha, things tend to be a bit buggy here. Simply adding a ''who killed you'' feature won't solve these problems and for me, it would kill the game. It makes it too easy and unrealistic.

I don't see how it would make it anymore unrealistic than the already instant sentencing every time they kill someone... The game doesn't care if you're watching or the guards are watching, prisoners still get convicted of murder the instant they kill someone. And in the real world it does say in your criminal record who you kill. It's not like everyone forgets what you did once you go to prison or stop writing it down. All I'm asking for is a proper record of those sentences. If anything it'd add realism. It's not like I'm asking for a frag counter like in a CS match.

And how would it make it easier? We already have permanent lockdown and solitary to override the penalty system (which I do question if should even be there since it violates human rights). With proper record keeping it'd just be easier to tell who actually deserves to be permanently punished.
sonic_m
level1
level1

Postby sonic_m » Sun May 10, 2015 11:01 am

I must apologise, I didn't cover the aspects you were thinking of. You are right, a proper record seems to be promising.
metalbunny
level1
level1

Postby metalbunny » Sun May 10, 2015 2:02 pm

sonic_m wrote:I must apologise, I didn't cover the aspects you were thinking of. You are right, a proper record seems to be promising.

Just thought a bit about what you said about it making things easier. One thing I've been pondering is if it's right for prisoners to be convicted of a murder if there are no one around to see it. Say the old situation of two prisoners going into a room and only one comes out. Something happened in the corner of the room where the cameras don't cover all the time and where the guards don't look. When I have prisoners going at each other with the powertools in the workshop (because the guard on patrol likes to run off), it's always in that one corner where the cameras like to all point in the opposite direction at the same time. If IV ever feels like adding more layers of micromanagement, then the sweep patterns for the cameras could be considered (though it'd be incredibly tedious to do, at least it is in real life).

Making the AI know if someone saw stuff happen may be problematic, though, but it would add to the realism (and then you'd have to bring in detectives to figure out what happened, which I dunno if would really fit with the game).
waschboer
level0

Postby waschboer » Fri May 15, 2015 9:17 pm

this is a good suggestion I think!
Today I had two riots simultaniously in my prison on opposite ends.
6 dead in the end :(
i ended up clicking through 10 cellblocks 20 prisoners each to find prisoners who murdered someone in the prison.
And since the prisoners are charged with murder in the end someone seems to know they have murdered someone.
would b helpful to get some hints who they are on screen other than having to click thru them
lunaticneko
level2
level2

Postby lunaticneko » Tue May 19, 2015 12:20 pm

It would be a good way to go. Knowing who kills who (maybe the record is only available if you have a line of sight on the murder, based on guards and CCTV maybe) helps a lot when diagnosing certain matters such as security and segregation.
lilarron2000
level0

Postby lilarron2000 » Tue May 19, 2015 6:26 pm

This seems like a great idea, I see it being part of the informative thing in bureaucracy. So it would be an external upgrade from Informative. Though I think it should take at-least a day, So the informative can talk with people, etc.
RMJ1984
level2
level2

Postby RMJ1984 » Sun May 24, 2015 12:25 am

You would think that when someone dies. An investigator and or police from the "outside" world come and determin what happened. Thus also finding out what happened and who is to blame.

Return to “Community Members”