Change shared zones to Max, Medium, Min

(previously 'DEVELOPER') Private forum for registered community members. To register, please visit www.prison-architect.com/register.

Moderator: NBJeff

me_54m
level1
level1

Change shared zones to Max, Medium, Min

Postby me_54m » Thu Apr 02, 2015 7:10 pm

I think that the addition of Protective Custody, Max Security and Death Row should change how the shared zones work.

I think that shared should be changed into 'General Population' this would allow Max, Medium and Min security to access these zones.
I then think there should be a separate 'All' zone that would allow all prisoners to mix as shared does now.
PathogenQ
level1
level1

Re: Change shared zones to Max, Medium, Min

Postby PathogenQ » Thu Apr 02, 2015 7:14 pm

You can always build buffer zones (i.e. small corridor marked as staff only) in-between, that would stop prisoners from say PC getting into shared zones.
xlr8films
level2
level2

Postby xlr8films » Thu Apr 02, 2015 8:14 pm

That's what I do. And I make sure my "stopgaps" have metal detectors in them.
perryliu97
level2
level2

Postby perryliu97 » Thu Apr 02, 2015 9:39 pm

A better solution (which has been mentioned numerous times in the forum) would be the ability to assign multiple prisoner types to the same area. Imagine the interface for assigning guards or prison labour. But with different types of prisoner security.
me_54m
level1
level1

Postby me_54m » Tue Apr 07, 2015 8:52 am

PathogenQ wrote:You can always build buffer zones (i.e. small corridor marked as staff only) in-between, that would stop prisoners from say PC getting into shared zones.

However, that means you can't have any shared areas at all. It's not economicly sencible to build a new cantine etc for a couple of PC guys.
desrocchi
level1
level1

Postby desrocchi » Tue Apr 07, 2015 10:06 am

I surely support this, I think the problem would be the interface: how do you quickly show who can and who cannot enter a zone?

We can't have a color for every single combination, there should be something like stripes of different colors for every security level, something like this:

and as of now, left click adds a level, right click take it away.
Obviously we can have the all permitted (White - Shared) and the noone permitted (Black - staff only) as the ends of the spectrum from which we can add or take away security levels.
So let's say we want an area open to everyone but the Protective Custody, we create a shared and right-click on that with the PC restriction making it a striped area with all the colors but the yellow.

The first problem I see with this solution is understanding the distribution of very small areas where the stripes cannot be clearly displayed.
Robbedem
level2
level2

Postby Robbedem » Tue Apr 07, 2015 12:18 pm

The smallest possible room is 2x2 (because you need walls to seperate rooms).
The maximum amount of different colors you need to display in a room is 4: all security types except one, because all security types is white
So if stripes are half a tile wide or less it would fit fine. Doesn't seem a problem to me.

Return to “Community Members”